ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio building up too much pressure

CS Dungeon
In the collant system..........whats the likely cause?

She has a Mk1 1.9 D!

Top the expansion tank up, then after a run upto temp, when I check it the tank is empty!
Unscrewing the cap releases masses of air, gurgling and bubbling then eventually the tank starts to fill up again!!

Water pump? thermostat?

ta

CS Dungeon
Right i've just heard the guy looking at it has checked the Headgasket and that is fine! I dont know how he checked, guessing with pressure gauges!

Would testing with pressure gauges show up a cracked head?

CS Dungeon
Thats handy to know, how much you wanting for it?

Not sure if its needed yet, i've not even had a look at her car myself yet, it went straight to her dad's friend for diagnosis!

New engine will be last option but i'll bare it in mind!

CS Dungeon
No mayo for sure, I checked that recently!

Where are the bleed points on the 1.9d? Is it just the top of rad near battery?

Ph1
Mine sounds pretty similer to yours and we put mine down to a hairline crack on the head on the exhaust port side thus blowing gases through the system. No mayo as no oil and water were mixing plus 2 tubs of K-seal was doing F all lol

IIRC (few years back now so might be slightly wrong) start the car up and the coolant would drain away and the temp gauge would rise. If you turned off the ignition and unscrewed the coolant cap it would bubble and gurgle and the water would return.

Worth trying to see if its a airlock but like the others have said, does sound like its the head and given the cars age you'd be best to call it quits and scrap it