ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Turbo Gt28 Waste Gate Chatter

Trophy Turbo :)
After doing a little project for a friend who i met thro Clio sport a few years back. All i am saying is that you cant beat a big of boost.

GT28 Disco Potato Turbo waste gate chatter :) Im sure you will agree

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm sorry for not being down with the cool kids, but WTF is a disco potato wastegate?!

Only bad if its a poxy turbo that cant handle it mate, at this level of boost it will be fine

Dan a Gt28 Turbo the model is named Disco Potato ( god knows why )

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
As said, that's NOT wastegate chatter... It's compressor stall. It's the sound of the compressed air coming back and hitting (and slowing) the compressor. I like the sound myself however it is just creating lag.

to try and explain it further the air that you hear going "pish" out of dump valves is the air that is returning to the turbo and stalling the compressor.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
That's compressor surge/stall, technically.

it will never be called "stall" that is totally different ball game with a blade/aerofoil, stall is gas flowing the correct way creating too great of resistance once past the blade due to it becoming turbulent.

reversed boost/gas returning as stated is the cause of the blade turning the wrong way :)

Last edited:
NOT wastegate chatter... I.

the air that you hear going "pish" out of dump valves is the air that is returning to the turbo and stalling the compressor.

it doesn't run a dump valve so how do you work that one out.

regardless of what you want to call it,

its a external waste gate by the way....... not one on the turbo ;) shuda explained that

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Someone's been on Wiki.

Stall is the common (and correct) name for what's happening in the OP's video. Taken in the context of aerodynamics, it's obviously going to be slightly off.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
it doesn't run a dump valve so how do you work that one out.

regardless of what you want to call it,

its a external waste gate by the way....... not one on the turbo ;) shuda explained that

Where did I say that you do have one. I was explaining the noise that your car is making is the result of the air that would escape out of a dump valve..if you had one coming back at the turbo during closed throttle. It has f**k all to do with a wastegate.

Normal Recirc - Darth Vader breathing noises (only if you can hear your induction noise)
VTA Dump Valve - PSSSST venting noises
No Recirc/VTA = Pigeon Noise (as per the video).

Wastegates have f**k ALL to do with these noises, they are there to control boost levels, and dump boost into the exhaust (or out of a screamer pipe.)

Where did I say that you do have one. I was explaining the noise that your car is making is the result of the air that would escape out of a dump valve..if you had one coming back at the turbo during closed throttle. It has f**k all to do with a wastegate.

no need to swear now Suger Lips its only a discussion! ill reply when i get home.

Normal Recirc - Darth Vader breathing noises (only if you can hear your induction noise)
VTA Dump Valve - PSSSST venting noises
No Recirc/VTA = Pigeon Noise (as per the video).

Wastegates have f**k ALL to do with these noises, they are there to control boost levels, and dump boost into the exhaust (or out of a screamer pipe.)

Untrue

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
lol, just venting mate. I know all this from my 205 gti turbo I built. fit a recirc valve and the noise will go, and the turbo will have reduced lag. (marginal amounts)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
haha wiki FTW but no aerofoils and aircraft are my 9-5 :)

and hmmmm wrong logic has been put into this common term "stalling" when it comes to turbos but that is a very large explination why i think this, i cant be bothered explaining why atm and it wont change anything or anyones views whatever i put :(

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Gaz is spot on mate. The swearing is probably because your wrong, we all know it but you won't listen.

Also have a go at moving the air filter to somewhere it will get colder air, charge temps are difficult to maintain enough without the air being toasty to begin with.

Gaz is spot on mate. The swearing is probably because your wrong, we all know it but you won't listen.

Also have a go at moving the air filter to somewhere it will get colder air, charge temps are difficult to maintain enough without the air being toasty to begin with.

Yeah the battery is being relocated so the filter in there for the moment to run the car in :)

A picture of what exactly, Wastegates control exhaust gases, this noise is from your compressor wheel. I ran my 200SX to make the exact same noise in the video, and it has nothing to do with the wastegate.

Giggles - I am well aware my self after owning several high powered JDM cars 600hp+ and several other high performance turbo cars on how this all works, i am wrong in calling it waste gate chatter i admit that, but Christ you lot or so easy to wind up :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Enlighten me as to how a wastegate on the exhaust side is going to make noises out of your induction side then.

Lol. Bingo.

I'm glad someone else sees this. We're not being difficult, we're just being correct. :eek:

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
No gaz, just googled it as I think he's right. The truth is a squirrel has made his way into the turbo and its chattering with pleasure when the throttle closes... The noise has nothing to do with any actual physics.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that comes from the Waste gate closing, turning the turbine the wrong way ;)

nope, from the throttle closing and the air surging back through the compressor housing actually ;)

still sounds awesome. I miss having a big turbo

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Sounds nice either way, just on topice turbo chatter/stall whatever you call never has been proven to cause damage.
yes i agree the turbo is forced to try spin the other way but never actually heard of someone having issues?

had two turbo cars and been on 3 big turbo forums but nothing ever mentioned :)

Impreza RB5 #054
Lol @ Wastegate chatter.

The sound is made when you close the throttle and air is forced back into the compressor housing on the turbo, its the compressor wheel cutting through the air which makes the noise.
The noise is amplified when you have a open induction kit and metal piping in the boost circuit.

Nothing at al to do with the Wastegate.

Oh and just to add, a GT28 turbo isn't really that big of a turbo.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 172
My Ibiza Cupra made this noise when I didn't plumb the recirc valve back in the right way, quick switch round of the vac pipes and the noise was gone.