ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI 65s and towing trailers?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
So things are changing round after buying a house near chester this month and also my missus potentially changing jobs towards Christmas this year leaving me with only the track clio to run around in which I don't really want to use on a 600 mile round trip every other weekend as it will just ruin the mods on it very quickly :S

So it comes down to the question above when I come round to making the 182 sorn and trailering it around to the tracks would a DCI 65 be able to take the strain of the job once in a while outside of its main motorway work.

it has a 1200kg braked weight limit which should cover the clio and the trailer just about, but it's also really cheap to run (£20 tax bracket) and will do a safe 60mpg on the motorway for me plus you can find tidy ones with service history for less than 2k which is about right for me and this purpose.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...-to/2500/radius/60/fuel-type/diesel?logcode=p

I have looked at other cars but clios are fairly bread and butter for me and I like the super cheap tax aspect too, I have looked at the DCI 86 Megane but I'm not sure on spending so little on a bigger car and the general running costs look likely to be more because of that.

any other ideas in that low tax bracket are welcome though :)

cheers for reading

Dan

Van
I would say not. A general rule of thumb is to only tow 80% of the tow vehicle's kerb weight, although thats not law. You may also struggle to get a Clio / Trailer combo in at 1200kg (although again your 1200kg on the log book is not law).

Despite it not being illegal on a B+E license it might be deemed irresponsible in the event of an incident.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I would say not. A general rule of thumb is to only tow 80% of the tow vehicle's kerb weight, although thats not law. You may also struggle to get a Clio / Trailer combo in at 1200kg (although again your 1200kg on the log book is not law).

Despite it not being illegal on a B+E license it might be deemed irresponsible in the event of an incident.

Would the megane be better in this situation as the megane then as it's weight is higher plus it got an extra 100kg towing weight over the clio.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...on/manual/annual-tax-cars/up_to_105?logcode=p

the clio should be around 900-950kg when it comes to sorn time, I don't know what a meganes curb weight is tbh but it should be around 1200-ish kg shouldn't it?

it makes me laugh when I think back to doing my B+E this year as the instructor was using a skoda Fabia with a box trailer hitched and a 1 tonne weight in it lol

Van
Megane would be better for stability and visibility in standard mirrors, and wouldn't look out of place but may still be on or over its limit of capability with what would most likely be a 1350kg rig

My Brian James Clubman weighs 400kg.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Well had a look and a nice megane with around 70k and FSH is about £2000 at the moment, they have £30 a year tax which is great and it will take the daily crap of load lugging and motorways plus a trailer the odd time so I think I'm looking towards one of them now.

anything to watch out for on the 1.5 DCI engines?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A 1.5 diesel megane or clio to tow a car on a trailer?!

If you encounter any hills you'll roll back down them!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't do a great deal of towing, but I wouldn't even entertain one. My Astra Van (remapped too!) used to barely manage with a tiny trailer and a stripped out clio.

You'd be much better off with a mondeo/passat/vectra type car imo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
do you have a 3500kg limit on your license (ie is it just a car license taken post 97)

If so, then the total weight of everything you are towing is not allowed to be higher than the unladen weight of the vehicle you are towing with.

So in that context it would be illegal.
If you have a later license it would be legal if you are right about the 1200kg towing limit, but only if you could find a very light trailer of course.

Would be REALLY slow though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS

Most trailers are more like 400kg+, so you probably need to "budget" for about 1400kg for the trailer and the clio on it including a set of wheels on there etc.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I don't do a great deal of towing, but I wouldn't even entertain one. My Astra Van (remapped too!) used to barely manage with a tiny trailer and a stripped out clio.

You'd be much better off with a mondeo/passat/vectra type car imo.

Hmm in general they go outside the box of what this car is for which firstly it needs to be a general work horse for buttons per year, and when you look at VAG/premium brands running costs go pretty high :S otherwise a passat/ bora would be first choice for me!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
do you have a 3500kg limit on your license (ie is it just a car license taken post 97)

If so, then the total weight of everything you are towing is not allowed to be higher than the unladen weight of the vehicle you are towing with.

So in that context it would be illegal.
If you have a later license it would be legal if you are right about the 1200kg towing limit, but only if you could find a very light trailer of course.

Would be REALLY slow though

no I have my B+E licence also which I took earlier this year

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no I have my B+E licence also which I took earlier this year

Ah cool, that really opens things up then.

We've been trying to choose a tow car that Lesley can also use, and with my 500kg or so tipper trailer it means even with my lightweight mk1 on it we are looking at 1400kg to allow for a set of extra wheels etc, and the number of things that are over 1400 kerb weight and under 2100 gross weight and over 1400 tow capacity which is the list of criteria she needs to avoid the test is pretty slim!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ah cool, that really opens things up then.

We've been trying to choose a tow car that Lesley can also use, and with my 500kg or so tipper trailer it means even with my lightweight mk1 on it we are looking at 1400kg to allow for a set of extra wheels etc, and the number of things that are over 1400 kerb weight and under 2100 gross weight and over 1400 tow capacity which is the list of criteria she needs to avoid the test is pretty slim!

Yep that's why I just stuffed off searching for something that doesn't really exist or does within very small margins and just did the test, it's there forever once you do it anyway :)

just looked at a VW bora and they come in within my price range but they are £100 a year extra on tax not much I know but I just like paying as little as possible on things like that lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yep that's why I just stuffed off searching for something that doesn't really exist or does within very small margins and just did the test, it's there forever once you do it anyway :)

just looked at a VW bora and they come in within my price range but they are £100 a year extra on tax not much I know but I just like paying as little as possible on things like that lol

You'd rather save under £2 a week over towing safely and legally?? Strange priorities! lol

Besides, a Renault diesel will eventually break, making your £100 tax saving null and void.

Regards to your other comment about VAG's having high running costs, that is utter nonsense. Whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about and should refrain from offering advice.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
You'd rather save under £2 a week over towing safely and legally?? Strange priorities! lol

Besides, a Renault diesel will eventually break, making your £100 tax saving null and void.

Regards to your other comment about VAG's having high running costs, that is utter nonsense. Whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about and should refrain from offering advice.

Ye I just refreshed my page and spotted 3 1.5 DCI threads all about them being broken lol

might have a word with my m8 at seat then and see if he's got anything in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

When you have some free time, write up a cliosportacle on what was involved and what it cost etc, it comes up quite often on here so would be useful.
I can normally help people out with the law side of it, but as im older I have no practical experience of the test as I didnt have to do one.

Good thing about the VW options is the 1.9 lump, SO much more reliable and cheaper longer term than a clio lump realistically, especially one being flogged to death towing.

My old audi tow car I bought with over 100K on it and blatantly (seat knackered, gear knob worn out etc) it had been clocked back another 100K on top of that.
I used it for 2 years, did 100K miles in that period, including towing stuff far too heavy for what is legal (whoopsy) and in that time my entire maintenance (other than usual oil and filters) was:
Exhaust backbox
Disks and pads
Starter motor

For a budget banger (only gave a couple of K for it hence not caring it was clocked etc as it was well under the going rate at the time) it was utterly awesome for cheap running costs, would have another again if my requirements were the same again (got a T4 van for towing instead now)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
When you have some free time, write up a cliosportacle on what was involved and what it cost etc, it comes up quite often on here so would be useful.
I can normally help people out with the law side of it, but as im older I have no practical experience of the test as I didnt have to do one.

Good thing about the VW options is the 1.9 lump, SO much more reliable and cheaper longer term than a clio lump realistically, especially one being flogged to death towing.

My old audi tow car I bought with over 100K on it and blatantly (seat knackered, gear knob worn out etc) it had been clocked back another 100K on top of that.
I used it for 2 years, did 100K miles in that period, including towing stuff far too heavy for what is legal (whoopsy) and in that time my entire maintenance (other than usual oil and filters) was:
Exhaust backbox
Disks and pads
Starter motor

For a budget banger (only gave a couple of K for it hence not caring it was clocked etc as it was well under the going rate at the time) it was utterly awesome for cheap running costs, would have another again if my requirements were the same again (got a T4 van for towing instead now)

ye I will collect all the info up and sort something out for people to look over, it's not as much to do the test as you would think (if your a fairly competent driver)

Ye that's sorta the thing I'm looking for that's big enough to take kayaks on the roof and camping stuff I steadying of roughing up the VRS the missus uses.

I must admit a T4 van is something I have over looked as they are cheap up north!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan, i've just noticed you're in Cornwall, the car prices down there are astronomical!

clio dci , ren8
The advice on this forum is crap ! VW 1.9 never go wrong hey ,sure they don't lol & a 1.5 megane will be gutless towing lol must remember that next time I take the scenic out with a trailer on , the fact it will sit comfortably at 70 with a clio on the back must be nonsence and it has managed 125000 miles with no major problems lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The advice on this forum is crap ! VW 1.9 never go wrong hey ,sure they don't lol & a 1.5 megane will be gutless towing lol must remember that next time I take the scenic out with a trailer on , the fact it will sit comfortably at 70 with a clio on the back must be nonsence and it has managed 125000 miles with no major problems lol

So Renault are renowned for reliability? Oh wait, they're f**king s**t. I know this, I worked for them for 7 years. I have also owned well over 100 of them. The build quality and reliability is poor (Renaultsport aside) Hence why a 5 year old Renault Laguna is worth nothing and a 10+ year old passat is still fetching £4k+.

Also, I never said VW 1.9's never go wrong. Nobody in this thread did either so i've no idea where you made that up from. All cars break. Some do it less than others though. Just last friday I had to remplace a brake light bulb on the wifes passat...

Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, i'm not an idiot. But to claim that VW reliability is on Par with Renault is quite frankly bordering on insanity.

Megane II/scenic II Window regs, key cards, digital dashboards, door window seals, megane CC roof leaks, camshaft dephaser issues across ALL VVT engines, clio mk2 sunroofs creaking and leaking, 1.9 dci traffic gearboxes pack up after 70k, 2.0dci traffics get written off when the injectors rust into the head from a water leak on the scuttle panel, clio dci injector/fuel pump issues (look on ebay, there's loads breaking for spares/repairs due to this) Shall I go on???

You work for Renault I assume? your loyalty to the brand is admirable, but if you genuinely believe a 1.5 megane diesel will tow as well as a Passat/vectra/mondeo, then you my friend are a chump.

Last edited:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus

So you tow your track car with a 1.5 DCI Megane?

No clutch or gearbox problems etc with towing?

I like the meganes due to the cost of running etc so it's good to see someone getting along well with one :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Dan, i've just noticed you're in Cornwall, the car prices down there are astronomical!

Currently in Chester in cheshire at my new place, travel down to Cornwall for work and head home every so often.

Best of both worlds as I keep an eye out for good prices up here and enjoy the living of Cornwall whilst I'm there lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You have a 65bhp Megane you use for towing?

125k isn't unheard of at all without problems. But they are now getting to the stage that pumps and injectors going is getting quite common. Cool your one is still going well but don't make the assumption it will definatrly continue to or that all others will.
The vag 1.9 is a far better option although no one is claiming it's impossible for one to fail like you are implying. They are just better for power and better for reliability than the Clio 1.5. Especially in the context of a tow car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should have refreshed thread not just replied where it was open. Didn't see Daniel had already replied. Lol.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
After looking around I don't think I would buy anything without a 1.9 PD VAG in my price range now, full service history needed obviously but seem perfect for what I need plus cars like the B5 passat and seat altea fall inky that category which seem perfect for the load lugging needs I may have for this car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you get a 150 golf they go like absolute stink with a remap too, although will kill the clutch, lol.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
If you get a 150 golf they go like absolute stink with a remap too, although will kill the clutch, lol.

Ye I like the 150s but this car is for keeping things cheap so I'm looking at a 130 bora/passat/golf or something in the seat/skoda range

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ye I like the 150s but this car is for keeping things cheap so I'm looking at a 130 bora/passat/golf or something in the seat/skoda range

They still go well TBH, but the 150 does about 195bhp and 300lbft of torque with a decent map and will then be about as quick as the 182 you are towing with it, lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They still go well TBH, but the 150 does about 195bhp and 300lbft of torque with a decent map and will then be about as quick as the 182 you are towing with it, lol.

Fcuk about! That must pull like a train!

What about a passat 130? I've often thought about getting it mapped but I don't want to kill the clutch/dmf.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fcuk about! That must pull like a train!

What about a passat 130? I've often thought about getting it mapped but I don't want to kill the clutch/dmf.

Not much less TBH, about 175bhp and 270lbft or so, again though like you say the clutch is a bit risky still!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
A 130 maps to about 170bhp safely but I think you need to keep the torque down on them.

I think an estate octy would be a good shout, roof bars and tow hitch would be nice additions too if I was to look for one :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Not much less TBH, about 175bhp and 270lbft or so, again though like you say the clutch is a bit risky still!

RS tuning seems to have the clutch issues sorted by doing safe maps for the old PD engines.

Very good maps but good clutch longevity along with it if you have good item before the map :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RS tuning seems to have the clutch issues sorted by doing safe maps for the old PD engines.

Very good maps but good clutch longevity along with it if you have good item before the map :)

Yeah the key is to not give it a massive torque spike unless its getting a new clutch as well.
Most decent mappers will be aware already.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fancy doing mine when you do Sams Clio??

Ive not got the equipment to map standard cars any more mate, got out of that game ages ago.
Sams just needs a laptop cause its on aftermarket, yours is more involved.

Dan@SJM is quite local to you though and can do it :)

clio dci , ren8
The only chump as you put it is a CHUMP who comes on a clio forum to big up vw s sure the 1.9 vw is great but the 2.0 diesel is absolute rubbish then advising to by a skoda ,the parts are more pricey than vw ,No wonder Renaults are unreliable with Chumps like you working on them ,lol