ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
I have just bought my second Clio. a 2003 1.2 Extreme. I would like to get a 172 kit on it. Do all phase 2 Clio's have plastic wings? This one has them, it also has clear side repeaters., I have a suspicion it may already have 172 wings on it?
My Clio1.jpg
Do they look like 172 wings? Anyhow, I would like to get a full 172 exterior kit on it. Any ideas of the cost involved? I've been told that the colour of my car is hard to match, which is a shame. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I'm new to the forum and looking forwards to joining the community. If anyone has a 172/182 conversion, show me some pics? Thanks :)

Feel free to check out my project thread for my 1.2 - 172 conversion.

The cost, is far more than it's worth.
Non sports did have clear side repeaters on the Dynamique and Extreme models.

Any questions, fire them my way!

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't bother at all.

Keep this running, save the money you'd spend on mods and put them towards a 172 when insurance allows.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
OP: How much is it going to cost ? Probably far more than you think...

99.8% of ClioSports response to reps is this.

I think, if you can be bothered and persist with it, go for it. Some people just want to play.

Thing is, a 'proper' RS can be bought for <£1k. You can probably get a tatty one for £500 if you look hard enough..

Body work and paint will be maybe £500. Then there's wheels and major suspension work to do... which lets very generously call another £500.

You've now got a car, worth £500, which you've spent £1k on, which now needs more throwing at insurance, which is still as slow as when you started. 99.9% of people in the outside world won't even notice it's "a sport" .. the 0.1% will realise it's 'wrong' (the sunroof gives it away immediately, amongst other things if you're a real CS nerd) and will care so little, they'll have forgotten about it by the next time they blink.

In 2 years time, if you save all the money you'd have spent on this, you can buy a real one, and cover the inflated insurance for a year or two.

OP: How much is it going to cost ? Probably far more than you think...

Thing is, a 'proper' RS can be bought for <£1k. You can probably get a tatty one for £500 if you look hard enough..

Body work and paint will be maybe £500. Then there's wheels and major suspension work to do... which lets very generously call another £500.

You've now got a car, worth £500, which you've spent £1k on, which now needs more throwing at insurance, which is still as slow as when you started. 99.9% of people in the outside world won't even notice it's "a sport" .. the 0.1% will realise it's 'wrong' (the sunroof gives it away immediately, amongst other things if you're a real CS nerd) and will care so little, they'll have forgotten about it by the next time they blink.

In 2 years time, if you save all the money you'd have spent on this, you can buy a real one, and cover the inflated insurance for a year or two.
Don't come on ClioSport with logic.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
OP .. @beeched .. all I would do if that was my car, is put some nice OEM alloys on it. The 15" non-sport ones, with proper tyres. Aside from that, just spend money if/when mechanicals need freshening up. Maybe wash it once in a while... it'll be much easier to sell on later if it's neat tidy and OEM.

Don't come on ClioSport with logic.

Back in my box I go !

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
My only advice to you, is just be careful with your money and how you spend it! Be smart with your money too!

Most of us have been in your situation! I was, if you take a look at my project thread <---

Most people on here say don't bother, don't waste your money. But it's not a waste of money, if you spend carefully and keep it respectable! I had no interest in cars what so ever until I started spending money on mine. I haven't spent huge amounts, But I've just done to it what I've liked, and the majority of what I've done will have good resell value! but now I have massive interest in cars, if you want to gain an interest then don't let people on here tell you to don't bother and save your money for a 1*2, because most likely if you don't tinker with your car, And change things, upgrade things, you won't want a 1*2 or be that bothered about it.

Keep it respectable, do things that you're really 100% certain on and learn! experiment with little things, you'll be amazed what the little things can all add up too.

don't fork out thousands on parts and painting if you're going to get not even half back, keep your old parts, be wise what you spend your money on and you won't lose out much! I've done things to my little 1.2 and I've actually made money as I've been patient and clever with things.

Enjoy it and learn

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
My only advice to you, is just be careful with your money and how you spend it! Be smart with your money too!

Most of us have been in your situation! I was, if you take a look at my project thread <---

Most people on here say don't bother, don't waste your money. But it's not a waste of money, if you spend carefully and keep it respectable! I had no interest in cars what so ever until I started spending money on mine. I haven't spent huge amounts, But I've just done to it what I've liked, and the majority of what I've done will have good resell value! but now I have massive interest in cars, if you want to gain an interest then don't let people on here tell you to don't bother and save your money for a 1*2, because most likely if you don't tinker with your car, And change things, upgrade things, you won't want a 1*2 or be that bothered about it.

Keep it respectable, do things that you're really 100% certain on and learn! experiment with little things, you'll be amazed what the little things can all add up too.

don't fork out thousands on parts and painting if you're going to get not even half back, keep your old parts, be wise what you spend your money on and you won't lose out much! I've done things to my little 1.2 and I've actually made money as I've been patient and clever with things.

Enjoy it and learn

Couldn't agree more with this. Spent a good year upgrading and playing around with my 1.2 and in the end I don't regret it one bit. I spent a fair amount on it in the end, but the experience and the enjoyment I had out of it far outweighed the cost. I now understand the mk2 clio's a lot more and that's helps a great deal now I'm making a few changes to my 172.

If I had the choice to go back, id definitely do it all again without hesitation! Spend wisely, keep it tidy and enjoy it , good luck!

Listerine & Poledo
If you buy a 172 and convert your insurance over, it'll cost less and be 400% less pointless.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I laugh at these threads

It's a waste of money putting 172 kit on 1.2, but it's ok throwing 3k into a 1k car on a turbo kit.

If it's for s***s and giggles do it in my opinion - It can be boring as hell just running a car, people need to play!

Clio 2.0 16v 182
You can pick up a full 1*2 kit for £200ish on eBay. But why do that when you can pay £1500 for a half decent 172, insure it for £1000, £600 for a cambelt (if neglected).

£3100 vs £200? And if you keep the 1.2 standard and save up, the 1*2 may be £500 less to insure.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You can pick up a full 1*2 kit for £200ish on eBay. But why do that when you can pay £1500 for a half decent 172, insure it for £1000, £600 for a cambelt (if neglected).

£3100 vs £200? And if you keep the 1.2 standard and save up, the 1*2 may be £500 less to insure.

That makes zero sense!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I laugh at these threads

It's a waste of money putting 172 kit on 1.2, but it's ok throwing 3k into a 1k car on a turbo kit.

If it's for s***s and giggles do it in my opinion - It can be boring as hell just running a car, people need to play!

This. If you can afford it, and you enjoy it, go for it.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open. If you do it, you will lose a lot of the money along the way. But if it's your hobby and you can afford it then who cares.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This clio was £1000. Insurance is £1100. Clio 172 £2500 Insurance is £3700. I know it's a 1.2 but I don't find it pointless. It's a hobby.
You can get a 172 for a grand too. That insurance is laughable though! I'd just look at completely different cars if I was you. MX5s are actually pretty decent insurance wise and quite fun as a first car. Of course it doesn't work for everyone, plenty of others before you have put 172 bodykits on 1.2s. And I suspect many more will in the future too!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I laugh at these threads

Eeeeeeeexactttlyyyyy!

You do need to play, Otherwise you won't have an 'interest' in cars. And you won't learn. If you don't play with what you have now you'll end up spending more money playing with a 1*2 because you're not doing it properly and have never had experience before. You've got to learn something. Learn on something that's cheap and affordable.

does my head in people saying just save up. if you are very disciplined with your money you'll be fine with 'playing' with the 1.2.

Either do it and learn and enjoy it.
Or don't do it, save money, not have the experience, the interest as much.

Go for it I say. who cares.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've been where you are.

I spent a fair chunk making half a rep out of my old 1.4, I'll find pics later if you like.

I had front and rear bumpers, spoilers, coilovers and turinis.

Just after I 'finished' it, I found I could insure a 197 for not much more than I was already paying.

I had a bit of fun while I did it, but I do wish I had put the £1500 or whatever it was into the bank rather than into the car.

If you must mod it, I'd recommend things you can sell on easy enough, coilovers, 172 rear bumper and cup spoiler.

Then colour code the bumper inserts and door plastics and fit some good tyres and brakes.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
This clio was £1000. Insurance is £1100. Clio 172 £2500 Insurance is £3700. I know it's a 1.2 but I don't find it pointless. It's a hobby.

And how much is your insurance going to go up on your 1.2 once you start adding bits on?

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I had a bit of fun while I did it, but I do wish I had put the £1500 or whatever it was into the bank rather than into the car.

If you must mod it, I'd recommend things you can sell on easy enough, coilovers, 172 rear bumper and cup spoiler.

You spent £1,500? Christ that's a lot. how did you manage that?

My main point that one, re sell value is massively important if you're doing this to a 1.2. Its what I've stuff with! I csnt say I've brought anything for mine that I won't be able to sell easily.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You spent £1,500? Christ that's a lot. how did you manage that?

My main point that one, re sell value is massively important if you're doing this to a 1.2. Its what I've stuff with! I csnt say I've brought anything for mine that I won't be able to sell easily.

Buying bumpers

Modifying bumpers

Painting bumpers

Buying and fitting coilovers

Buying turinis

Buying four tyres for the turinis

There was other expenses but It added up quick

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Buying bumpers

Modifying bumpers

Painting bumpers

Buying and fitting coilovers

Buying turinis

Buying four tyres for the turinis

There was other expenses but It added up quick

Ouch that's nasty.

That's another thing mate, Look for bumpers etc in the same colour to save money, well save a lot of money. That's if you can get sport bumpers in your colour idk?
But be patient.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Lol at insuring it for a grand. We don't all live in Buckingham palace

Clio 2.0 16v 182
That makes zero sense!

Are you having difficulty with the sarcasm or the maths? The cost to keep a 172 is always going to be more than a 1.2.

What really makes no sense is keeping a 1.2 clean and serviced so it's easier to sell to a 17yo learner who's going to rag it like he's playing gta.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Are you having difficulty with the sarcasm or the maths? The cost to keep a 172 is always going to be more than a 1.2.

What really makes no sense is keeping a 1.2 clean and serviced so it's easier to sell to a 17yo learner who's going to rag it like he's playing gta.

But the cost to buy and run a 172 will cost about the same as modifying a 1.2.

I don't know how old op is, so buying a 172 may not be viable. But the general consensus is making a rep is a wasted venture.

Whether he does or not is his choice, but he's had our opinions

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Clearly both - and again it seems!

Renault Clio 1.2 16V

I don't know how old op is, so buying a 172 may not be viable. But the general consensus is making a rep is a wasted venture.

I'm 26. I got a quote on a ph2 172, it was just shy of £3700. I've abandoned the idea of a full conversion, went to a scrappy today though and he has a poor 172 knelt on its front by axle stands with the whole front end missing. He wants £65 for the spoiler and rear bumper. What do you reckon?

Clio 2.0 16v 182

I'm thinking the op doesn't actually want to engine swap from a 1.2 to a 1*2. Most reps are just the body kit and some cheap collies. And it's only a wasted venture if you're planning to track it.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
I'm thinking the op doesn't actually want to engine swap from a 1.2 to a 1*2. Most reps are just the body kit and some cheap collies. And it's only a wasted venture if you're planning to track it.

Not going to track it at all. I really like the idea of doing the full rep, but the problem is, my car is NV632, Platinum. Cant find the paint anywhere.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm 26. I got a quote on a ph2 172, it was just shy of £3700. I've abandoned the idea of a full conversion, went to a scrappy today though and he has a poor 172 knelt on its front by axle stands with the whole front end missing. He wants £65 for the spoiler and rear bumper. What do you reckon?

Jesus! Have you killed someone?!

£65 is a great price for a rear bumper and spoiler.

What spoiler is it? With yours being the extreme I'm assuming it has the 172 spoiler already. I'd just buy the spoiler if it's the larger cup spoiler, like on my old one. Unless you're comes with the authentique/base spec spoiler strip thing

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Jesus! Have you killed someone?!

£65 is a great price for a rear bumper and spoiler.

What spoiler is it? With yours being the extreme I'm assuming it has the 172 spoiler already. I'd just buy the spoiler if it's the larger cup spoiler, like on my old one. Unless you're comes with the authentique/base spec spoiler strip thing

Haha. Nope not killed someone, but It's my first named driver policy, was driving on an any driver policy for 3 years for work. The spoiler is a standard 172/Dynamique spoiler, mine has the ugly plastic black strip which makes the rear window look like a bubble. I'm tempted to get the bumper as well, but It is in grey, and I can't find Platinum aerosol anywhere. Also, I wouldn't trust myself sanding/ spraying it. I think with the spoiler and bumper on, it would really tidy the back up, looks like a shopping cart at the min.

clio rear.jpg
clio rear2.jpg

Some Eibach Sportlines, spray the wheels black with sport rear bumper and spoiler. Think that'll look sweet.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd get the bumper and spoiler and find a body shop to spray the bumper for you.

I can't remember the exact price but I had my old bumper, spoiler and side strips painted for a silly cheap price