ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio II recall re bonnet catch

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Oooer, I haven't got a letter either. I thought it was only the older ones that had this problem. Hmmm, hate the idea of Renault getting anywhere near my car! I'll let them check mine as long as they do it right infront of me, not going to let the buggers loose with it again after last time! :nono:

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
sorry guys, but imo its a complete maintenance issue, when u shut the bonnet, give it a little tug to see if its closed properly, and make sure the catch is free moving, i see so many cars of different makes driving with the bonnet on its 1st catch rather than closed totally. you make sure ur doors are closed properly dnt you?!
if it is a fault with the catch why havent they modified the part and done a recall for replacement?!
you could do as the letter says and get it checked and a few weeks later after, say, filling the washer bottle up you think you closed the bonnet and it flies up etc, whos fault is that going to be? yours or renault!?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Its a load of tosh, if you never checked your tyre pressures they would eventually go flat, no doubt watchfrog would blame michelin! so if you never oil the catch its going to stick one day!!

CB600FS
Its not really a recall, its just a check. if it was a recall they would be replacing all the bonnet catches with new ones.

What? A recall doesn't just mean replacing a part, theres loads of recalls that just involve a check, to see if somethings not been done, not adjusting properly... then if need be replace the part, which is what the recall involves on the Clio2. When they check it, if its deemed necessary they replace it FOC.

?
I cleaned mine up the other day, like new :)

I have a mk2ph1 but havent got a letter through, doubt i will either and doubt i would even take it to the garage!

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
I haven't had my letter yet, but i'm pretty sure i'm capable of checking a bonnet catch isnt seized!

Saxo VTS
Don't take it to AJ Blackler in Newton Abbot. It's s**t and they're a bunch of stupid c***s who can't order the correct stuff. w*****s.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Got my letter yesterday, won't be takin it in cuz I have a carbon bonnet and they will probably think it's not a Clio:S

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
whats the correct way of shutting a bonnet!?

I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'correct way', but what I do is, make sure the bonnet is about 6 inches high and then let it drop. It then slams with a nice heavfty clunk, which should then mean it is well and truely closed. I have seen many people who gently lower the bonnet until it's touching the catch and then they just push the bonnet with their hands to shut it. I wouldn't trust it being stut properly like that. I always drop mine, always have ,always will.

I think I will go out later (IF it stops raining) and give it a good greasing/ oiling, just to be on the safe side.

whats the correct way of shutting a bonnet!?

I have seen many people who gently lower the bonnet until it's touching the catch and then they just push the bonnet with their hands to shut it. I wouldn't trust it being stut properly like that. I always drop mine, always have ,always will.
LOL. wtf.

I used to rest mine down on the latch and press down to lock it. However, I did this on the current car and the bonnet caved in under my hand. Last time I do that, I'll just drop it from now on.

Clio 197
guess what I saw on M56 other day, I saw alfa romeo 147 park on the hard shoulder & looks like bonnet hit on the windscreen.

So clio not only one have problem!

172Petey

Got my letter fri morning, jus telling me what I already know. Might take it to renault even though I know its in tip top condition, jus so they sign it off as checked. Looks better in the service history that way.

sorry guys, but imo its a complete maintenance issue, when u shut the bonnet, give it a little tug to see if its closed properly, and make sure the catch is free moving, i see so many cars of different makes driving with the bonnet on its 1st catch rather than closed totally. you make sure ur doors are closed properly dnt you?!
if it is a fault with the catch why havent they modified the part and done a recall for replacement?!
you could do as the letter says and get it checked and a few weeks later after, say, filling the washer bottle up you think you closed the bonnet and it flies up etc, whos fault is that going to be? yours or renault!?

Where does it say in the owners manual to keep it lubricated?

Why is it not part of the scheduled service program to check?

These catches are failing due to poor design, no other car has the same problem.

Think outside the box.

Its not really a recall, its just a check. if it was a recall they would be replacing all the bonnet catches with new ones.

What? A recall doesn't just mean replacing a part, theres loads of recalls that just involve a check, to see if somethings not been done, not adjusting properly... then if need be replace the part, which is what the recall involves on the Clio2. When they check it, if its deemed necessary they replace it FOC.

Reanult will not replace the catch under the current yellow OTS. If the customer persists in the replacement of the catch it is at there cost period.

And FYI the current yellow OTS is not a recall - laguna turbos are on yellow ots and so are pencil coils and they are not being recalled. Its an invitation to return to your dealer so they can take preventative maintenance.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
i got mine yesterday,

Just covering there backs arent they.

just telling us to remind renault, if you get a service with them they will check it.

cold the clio though soo who gives a shiiiittt

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well it is now part of the service program.
And you have a nice new amendment to the owners manual.

But my dealer kept it maintained regardless of this issue anyway. (3 years ago)

mk4 golf gttdi180
:rasp: this is all down to shoddy engineering they recall it because the catches are getting brittal and going up just like landrover recalled all series 1&2 discoverys because of the fuel tank straps corroding and thats the same problem with renaults bonnet catches

2015 Audi S3 Stage 3
My 03 dynamique dci80 had a faulty bonnet catch but was replaced under warrenty some time ago - i didnt recieve a letter about it

www.renparts.co.uk

Well it is now part of the service program.
And you have a nice new amendment to the owners manual.

But my dealer kept it maintained regardless of this issue anyway. (3 years ago)

nothing to do with them going brittle... its that they don't click in properly due to becoming stiff becuase of lack of lubrication...... and when they don't close properly and they 'half pop' the safety hook isn't adequate...
by renault lubricating and cleaning it up it will certainly lower the chance of it popping or not closing in he first place but should it do this or not be closed properly the hook is slightly inadequate to keep it in the popped position...

CB600FS

Reanult will not replace the catch under the current yellow OTS. If the customer persists in the replacement of the catch it is at there cost period.

And FYI the current yellow OTS is not a recall - laguna turbos are on yellow ots and so are pencil coils and they are not being recalled. Its an invitation to return to your dealer so they can take preventative maintenance.

FYI, I've known a fair few replaced under the TN Note, without the customer persisting, read it properly, it clearly states when they need to be replaced. Pencil coils and turbos are only under TI, the bonnet catches are actually TNs.

If it was that bad they'd 'recall' all clios, but as its only a tiny fraction, when they come in they get the TN/recall carried out, FYI.