ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Insurance Group 30

Clio v6

In light on all these recent Cup/Clios crashed/written off.

I would be interested to know, how long has everyone held their driving licience?

Are most of these accidents due to thoughtless driving for the recent weather conditions, or purely inexperience ?

Is there an increase in wreckless driving and more importantly, is there anything which seems to be encouraging this ?

Do any of these driving schools offer "how to be a boyracer and survive" courses?

As the title suggests. Do you think insurance companies will soon be singling out the Clio for a big group rise, where every Clio owner will suffer.

Are there particular cars which are not supercars but have a huge group label attached ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Methinks inexperience - because some of the excuses for the crashes seem pretty lame... (Yes i know i am about to get sl*gged off...BUT) you cant just drive these things like a 1.1 fiesta .... From my experience now i am 30 i had to make do with driving my parents cars until i could afford my first car this meant driving numerous Fiestas from 17- 23 Then i bought my first car... I was also lucky to drive my dads cars in the 1990s Sierra 4x4s and numerous Ford sierra Cosworths... Now hes boring with a TT 225, i much prefer the Cup & am glad i have had so much experience in cars i drove before...As the old man says theres no substitute for experience... this means no accidents since driving (& NO i dont hang about BTW) and insurance on a Cup for £500... need i say more?..... i await the sensible & non sensible views to MY opinion....

No takers then...? no retorts or the usual smart comments about lack of ABS or the road markings were icy, or blaming the recently gritted roads...i am suprised..... Perhaps i am just correct in many cases... So be it or shoot me down!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well I freely admit I used to drive like a nutter, with all my mates, but age bring maturity and you start thinking maybe I shouldnt be driving so fast.. is this a bit dangerous ? and in the end the only time you really ever speed is on an empty motorway.

Started driving at 17, now 25 (going on 26 [:(] )

Gay Clio 172 phs1

Young driver + fast car = :p

Saying that Im only 21 myself and currenty own a VW golf GTi and Clio 16v

I openly admit i do play on country lanes, but rarly go faster than 30 in residential areas esp near schools.

I started off with a 1.2 Nova saloon and gradually upgraded. Ren should introduce a driving school for anybody under 20 if they purchase a Cup/172

Rx

Seedy, Just out of interest, who do use for your insurance. £500 sounds good as I am of the same age as yourself.

Cheers

Mondeo STTDCI

I have also been worried about all these crashes. Surely they reflect badly upon the Clio and thus the insurance ppl will up the cost. I know I would esp. for the Cup. The fact they were limited edition and are will soon be rare as rocking horse sh*t would make me charge the owner ££££s!

As far as Im aware the Clio is a low group and good value for money! hence within my group of freinds I have the biggest engine (1.4) and pay the cheapest insurance! Its also quickest!

Im pretty sure they have singled out the Saxo VTR for anybody under 21! Only group 7 but high rates!

With all these Clios running around with free insurance full of young drivers your concerns might become reality!

Ad

MK2 FRS

A cup is more expensive to ensure than a 172, or was for me. Maybe just cup prices maybe effected. Wouldnt expect it to effect the whole clio range.

Well given a lot of recent write-offs it wont be long before insurance companies pick up on it and start to shove costs up. In terms of groups clios are pretty high as it is,

Clio V6 : 20

Williams : 18

172/Cup : 17

Me thinks there all about right :oops:

I couldnt believe it cost me more to get insured on a williams than a 172, if it wasnt for that i would never have bought my 172 in the 1st place and hence not written it off, so its the insurance companys fault! lol :devilish:

Seriously though its not just inexperience that goes to blame on crashes, true a large portion of the scale is "young boy - fast car" syndrom but a few just come from driver error, i know how easy it was to go from "having a blast" to "oh f**kkkkkkkk".

I made a very silly mistake and true.. i wasnt thinking straight and probably shouldnt have been driving but hey, bit late for that now :(

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Think its just silly season on the roads at the mo in general.

As for the amount of cups, is this the first batch of bad weather since most people got them?? I know its the first since i got my 172 an its made me think once or twice!

190 BHP Willy 2

Driving since 18, now 25 getting on for 26. No accidents and I do drive reasonably fast. I started with a nova sr then had a xr31 now my valver for the last 3yrs. As was mentioned theres no substitute for experience.

All the posts at the moment seem to be CRASHED MY CUP. Its been the first spell of bad weather this year and I think people underestimate the cars ability. Sorry to come back to it but Im confident that the lack of ABS was responsable for the majority of these accidents. Ultimately if people are not experienced enough to know how to control a car in a skid situation, ie Cadence braking, the panic just sets in and its lock up time for the wheels. With experience the driver should be able to adapt to the driving conditions and drive accordingly to the road conditions.

i am 21, 4 yrs ncb, had a vts for a while, got annoyed at renewal time because of the stupid quote i got, even though it is only a group14 car, main cause was the free insurance deals goin on back in the day, which i didnt ever benifut from, lots of young people in fast cars didnt go wel, so im now working on a clio 1.2 16v, doing what i want to the car, then changing the engine, but, clios will become like saxos if the current trend carrys on,