ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
None of this matters.

Renault want to sell more cars, this will sell more than the 200.
What rivals does it have that best it? Fiesta ST? 208 GTi?

I know what i'd rather have.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Someone just said in the Chris Harris thread that £20k is too expensive because you can buy used cars for less. Lol.

20k on a brand new Clio is a lot. There's a lot more technology than the older cars so I can understand the price difference from previous models. But for someone who doesn't buy cars on finance/ pcp its a lot of money.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
None of this matters.

Renault want to sell more cars, this will sell more than the 200.
What rivals does it have that best it? Fiesta ST? 208 GTi?

I know what i'd rather have.

Reviews of Fiesta Sts are all quite positive and its probably on par with this . I would still have the clio

Listerine & Poledo
Lolmunson.

plenty of people who you associate with may have lots of money.

not sure if the Manc set can all say the same, mind, "monied" is a relative term.

oh, and Crank-driven boost only

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well they must come "flared" in standard guise then.

My point still stands.

Only people in the know notice these things.

I reckon see an EDC on the road and it'll look fine. IMO the front end is a massive improvement over the non cohesive mess the 200 was.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol. Shows what a different world we are in now..... 197 was under 16k when released

Even with my shocking 10 minute photoshop (worse than beetle-man's) attempt... I deserve a job with Renault's design dept.

clio.jpg

Before anyone asks - yes it could be neater, no I didn't try, yes I did it on the quick at work, yes I still prefer it to the 5door and yes is suffers from the mk2 door misalignment issue lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lol. Shows what a different world we are in now..... 197 was under 16k when released

OTR price £15995.

Options:

Auto Lights and Wipers - £75.00
Tyre Pressure Monitor - £250.00
Climate Control (only available with auto lights etc) - £250.00
Electric Heated / folding door mirrors - £100.00
4 x 15W RDS Radio with Single CD and 6 speakers - £100.00
Extra Tinted Windows - £200.00
Panoramic Sunroof - £600.00
Carminat Sat Nav - £1000.00
Double Distance Xenon Headlamps - £500.00
Pre Telephone Equipment - £100.00
4x 15W Radio with single CD and MP3 player with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters - £100.00
4 x 40W Cabasse radio with 6CD (dashmounted) and 4 speakers and 2 tweeters - £350.00
Metallic Paint - £350.00
Dedicated Cornering Lights - £150.00

Seriously though...apart from one line and a slightly more cumbersome impractical door, how does that look any different at all?

Sports cars should not have 5 doors. Fact.

I don't care if the hot hatch is mr practical's mid life crisis dad who can still get the kids in the back.

There's a reason they've never made a 5 door RS before and that's because they look sh*t.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I don't care if the hot hatch is mr practical's mid life crisis dad who can still get the kids in the back.

There's a reason they've never made a 5 door RS before and that's because they look sh*t.

It's a hot hatch. Renault can sell more with more doors. Problem is front lights not the HIDDEN rear door.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Sign of the times. Most hatchbacks are going down the the 5 door route now.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I didn't like this at first but it's growing on me and after seeing the Chris Harris video, I think I'd definitely consider one

I would almost argue the larger hatches can get away with it slightly more.

The only one I can think of that I don't mind in 5 door is the original 1 series.

I prefer the looks of the 3 door on - golf, Megane, Clio, focus, fiesta, polo, Ibiza, a1, a3, Astra, corsa. In fact, just about every hatchback made to date. Is anyone seriously telling me they'd rather have a 172 cup 5 door because it's more practical?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I would almost argue the larger hatches can get away with it slightly more.

The only one I can think of that I don't mind in 5 door is the original 1 series.

I prefer the looks of the 3 door on - golf, Megane, Clio, focus, fiesta, polo, Ibiza, a1, a3, Astra, corsa. In fact, just about every hatchback made to date. Is anyone seriously telling me they'd rather have a 172 cup 5 door because it's more practical?

You're completely missing the point of this car I think mate. I can see how some people hate 5 doors and that's fair enough. Some people like fat birds as well, but this was never intended to be a 172 cup. Of course that car would look retarded with 5 doors, this one doesn't though IMO. Looks are all subjective anyway so you're never going to get unanimous agreement on them.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks miles better in the photoshop.

I'm still not a fan, but won't list my reasons as I can't be arsed justifying them to the high horses in this thread.

No I completely agree and i assure you i'm not missing the point at all.

They will sell in their hundreds to the masses who give less of a sh*t about driving than me. I realise I am in the complete minority when I say driving enjoyment is my number one priority when purchasing a car.

Just my personal opinion of three door models. They have also deviated away from what renaultsport always stood for (imo). Flappy paddles, various driving modes, 5 doors etc...

I would love to see a three door model with manual gearbox and recaros. A simple version.

Topgear review on the 182 when it was released: "it's impossible to go faster for less", "none of this (the niggles) matters because it makes you feel happy".

IMO the rs should be a bonkers version of the standard car, for no reason other than because it can be. Renault sports engineers chance to go mad.

The recipe has always been, take a 3 door clio, chuck a silly big engine in it, beef up the suspension, sell it for 15k and offer the most smiles per gallon available. I just think this is over complicating matters.

Except they wanted a 5-door, so I'm fairly sure you'd have been fired. lol.

I've just had a realisation and I know exactly what's wrong with it.

I don't think renaultsport did want it to be a five door. It was the suits at Renault hq that did. And that's the whole point. Practicality and appealing to the masses has been given priority over everything else, and that is not what renaultsport does.

I won't deny it'll probably handle spectacularly and go like the clappers. But in my opinion there was more (or ironically less) that they should have done.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Wick your talking out your poopshoot. This Clio is good to drive?!? ( from what I've heard)

People who enjoy driving will buy this car.

...and that is not what renaultsport does.

Its is now though. If they followed your business model they'd probably have had to stop making them entirely.

Why do you care anyway? It seems from your avatar and car description that you drive a sports car? If you want another sports car then buy a GT86 or something.

Its is now though. If they followed your business model they'd probably have had to stop making them entirely.

The sad truth. I won't try and defend that.

Why do you care anyway? It seems from your avatar and car description that you drive a sports car? If you want another sports car then buy a GT86 or something.

If I was in a position to I would.

I just think it's sad that it looks like to get your NA, driver focused 3 door kicks, in future - you'll need to buy a coupe (2 door) rather than a practical hatch.

Renault was bucking the trend with the 200 by keeping in 2.0 NA when the Corsa VXR and Mini had opted for 1.6T's. It was only a matter of time before emissions regulations and profits got put ahead of driver focus (again, I am not disputing it's capability here).

I am actually a fan of 5 door hatchbacks tbh. All the fun of a hatchback, without the embarrassment of having to fold the front seats back to let people in the back/put stuff in the back. Probably the reason I'd always take a saloon over a coupe as well.

Think that white example looks pretty sharp, though that front diamond looks shocking still. Think I'd prefer the 17 inch wheels over 18's as well. For me it would need some sportier front seats and a LSD, big 'amazing' Brembos don't really interest me enough to have them as I'm sure the brakes on the car currently ample for the job. Just not as pretty.

I used to be in the clan that 'hates flappy paddles', but I can imagine for the odd trackday, a/b road blast and normal day to day driving it'll be pretty cool/easy to drive.

Wick, you seem to have made this link between driver focused cars and three doors. The implication being that a car can't be a driver's car if it has five doors?

Actually sod it. I'm out. Pointless debate. It's 5-door only and that's the end of it. Buy something else.

Wick, you seem to have made this link between driver focused cars and three doors. The implication being that a car can't be a driver's car if it has five doors?

I realised as I wrote it might come across like that. It's a multitude of things that brings me to that conclusion though.

The 3 door thing is just a particular bugbear due to this preconception I have that hot hatches are for youngsters, youngsters shouldn't need practicality, as such the sleek looks of 3 doors should be prioritised over the practicality of 5. Silly, but that is my thought process.

Actually sod it. I'm out. Pointless debate. It's 5-door only and that's the end of it. Buy something else.

Agreed, I was about to depart on the same notion. It's my opinion be it wrong or right. I understand why they've done it, I understand the mass appeal, but it doesn't hit the spot for me. So therefore I'm out (Bannatyne voice).

Yet you continue to be hung up and vocal on the 5-door thing?

I've just explained that above with my silly thought process, Mark.

To clarify, I did't pop back in to intentionally rub anyone up the wrong way in here. Just my viewpoint on the subject. And I'd still recommend the Evo review I referred to earlier, it's an interesting read.