ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
People sadly think CS buy most of these type of cars! Petrolheads probably make up a very small amount of buying public hence the introduction of so many dsg style boxes.

But they have before with the megane rs.

Yep, and the 3 door looked better :rasp:

People sadly think CS buy most of these type of cars! Petrolheads probably make up a very small amount of buying public hence the introduction of so many dsg style boxes.

To clarify that point, I don't think CS will buy the majority at all. I know business and profitability has to take priority and mass appeal is what pays the bills.

On the topic of DSG boxes, the new 991 GT3 is paddle only apparently. The first time they are not offering a manual.

Death of the gearstick - Another can of worms.

Last edited:
Basically it seems that it's a great car. I promise with 1000% certainty that it will be proclaimed on here as the last of the old school when Clio V replaces it. 1000% Munson guarantee.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I think its a decent step forward over all.

The 200 needed to be a better every day road car and now it is.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I think flappy paddle is excellent for the more amateur driver and as I said a few pages ago allows the driver to focus on getting the most out the car.

I'd love using one myself flying through the gears like a proper little race car (lol) would be great fun imo. I bet this new one would piss all over the old 200 on a b road blast as well.

I think flappy paddle is excellent for the more amateur driver and as I said a few pages ago allows the driver to focus on getting the most out the car.

My departing thought for the morning - Something that struck a chord in the Evo review (I know preaching to the converted again, blah blah blah).

"If you - as I - regard driving as a skill, then it's not unreasonable to believe that cars that erode the need for such hard-won knowledge and ability feel somewhat two dimensional as a result".

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When I think back to how my 205bhp/ton 172 Cup got itself down the road, and then think that performance is available quite easily, with all the toys in this 5 door body, I get pretty excited to be honest.

The only argument I'm now having with myself is do I buy one now or wait 18-36 months for a tweaked version and squeeze a little more life out of my current steed.

Hmmmm.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh the paddles on the column still confuses the hell outta me. Are there any other dsg style boxes with column mounted paddles?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
When I think back to how my 205bhp/ton 172 Cup got itself down the road, and then think that performance is available quite easily, with all the toys in this 5 door body, I get pretty excited to be honest.

The only argument I'm now having with myself is do I buy one now or wait 18-36 months for a tweaked version and squeeze a little more life out of my current steed.

Hmmmm.

It wont be so easy to tweak this time, yes they could change the map in the future; but so could you - Now.
They wont add a manual because it will stick it into an emissions nightmare zone.

Future versions will just get more power and gearbox mapping tweaks. Possibly recaros and upgraded brakes.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
There's no denying it'll be a good car. I'm sure it'll be be great. The 5 door thing doesn't bother me. Neither does the turbo'd engine, I prefer N/A but as I realist I know that that's not a viable option anymore.

I, however, don't like flappy paddle gearboxes. It's not that they're not effective or more efficient than a manual, but for me - as a self confessed driving geek - I enjoy the interaction of manually changing gear. I enjoy rev matching on downshifts. I don't want something to do that for me. The new Clio ain't for me, but I think that with the inclusion of a DSG style box in the Clio, it's only a matter of time before all manufactures start including them as standard.

Sad times :dapprove:

Excited in a completely different way from heel and toeing and rev matching every shift like I watched grinning like a cheshire cat on your youtube channel before I bought my 182 though. I knew it had to be the car for me and your driver involvement confirmed that.

I prefer N/A but as I realist I know that that's not a viable option anymore.

I, however, don't like flappy paddle gearboxes. It's not that they're not effective or more efficient than a manual, but for me - as a self confessed driving geek - I enjoy the interaction of manually changing gear. I enjoy rev matching on downshifts. I don't want something to do that for me.

Samesies :eek: Geek = Love pretending to be a rally drive = Love 3 pedals and manual box.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It wont be so easy to tweak this time, yes they could change the map in the future; but so could you - Now.
They wont add a manual because it will stick it into an emissions nightmare zone.

Future versions will just get more power and gearbox mapping tweaks. Possibly recaros and upgraded brakes.

Not interested in seats or brakes, but would be in 'box tweaks.

These will hopefully be/should be retrospectively applicable?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Excited in a completely different way from heel and toeing and rev matching every shift like I watched grinning like a cheshire cat on your youtube channel before I bought my 182 though. I knew it had to be the car for me and your driver involvement confirmed that.

Whilst I still do it from time to time on the road I've moved on from that.

To me the act of driving, the enjoyment of driving, is so much more than just one thing. To say enjoyment can't be had unless you get the opportunity to try and nail the perfectly timed/rev-matched gear change is a bit narrow/tunnel vision in my opinion.

The Harris video confirms this is a car that drives well, responds well, goes well, does pretty much everything well. But without a manual gearbox.

Is that a shame? I don't think so.

The excitement is very much still there for me.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I absolutley love it but i feel like they will be a good used buy in 18 months time, i'll wait until then i think. Still enjoying the Cup and how cheap it is to run!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I for one love it. I can't wait to drive one, and if I get one it will be another couple of years, so more options like Recaros may be available.

My only bug bear is the fact that the cup chassis means you have to go up to 18s.

clio diesel
None of this matters.

Renault want to sell more cars, this will sell more than the 200.
What rivals does it have that best it? Fiesta ST? 208 GTi?

I know what i'd rather have.

Well there wasnt a eurozone crisis when the 200 came out. People being starved by banks in many of the southern european countries, bank runs, capital controls and an imploding economic zone probably put a damper of car sales somewhat. So time will tell.

EDit to add: recent data shows car sales falling off a cliff in Europe and only Britain with car sale up, but this is down to fleet purchases. So in all looking pretty grim if your in the business of making and selling cars.

Last edited:
  Astra (H) VXR
started to see a couple of the non sports models on the road now, and i think they are a very nice car to look at.

just hope the sport is a little more special to give it the edge they have had in previous models.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well there wasnt a eurozone crisis when the 200 came out. People being starved by banks in many of the southern european countries, bank runs, capital controls and an imploding economic zone probably put a damper of car sales somewhat. So time will tell.

EDit to add: recent data shows car sales falling off a cliff in Europe and only Britain with car sale up, but this is down to fleet purchases. So in all looking pretty grim if your in the business of making and selling cars.

The outgoing 200 was an irrelevance to fleet/leasing sales, Co2 was too high and its a useless car for long journeys, much like the 197.
Simply a niche product, closest thing to a Halo car that Renault had at one point.

The new 200 has more of a chance, would have helped if they could have got the co2 to 139, but stop/start will no doubt make its way eventually.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Can you have stop start with a dual-clutch? I thought it was manual only as it was the act of putting the car into neutral that told the engine to shut down.

Yeah, works even more effectively as the box is programmed to go into neutral or declutch.

Last edited:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to have a go in one.

Only thing that bothers me is the changing down malarkey, ohh, and the colossal list price.

Only be a few weeks before the first limited runs are out - be nice to see it with the 4 pot brakes, seats, wheels and the usual options which get added.

Certainly ticks a lot of my boxes.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Front looks strange with out fog lights!

Good thing though - all cars shouldn't have front fogs people have them on for all the wrongs reasons! IMO

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Will they be doing a fast diesel option?

The front now reminds me of that squirrel in Ice Age.

New member here as I am seriously tempted by this as my first fast hatch. I can understand why this car has split opinion so much.

Some background. Might be old enough to be your dad as I am 45. Not the typical RS Clio buyer then I guess. I own a diesel Yaris at the moment and it does 60mpg but is not the sportiest car in the world of course, cough. Car before was an Aygo that got rolled at a track day. Car before that an AMG C43. But I have never had a hot hatch even though these would suit me down to a tee.

About 15 years ago I broke my back in a motorbike accident so cannot use a clutch. I must be the only person in the world who is very grateful to Renault for providing a twin clutch gearbox on this car! I've waited fecking years :) . From reports it seems a bit slow on down shifts but I would guess a remap of the software can sort that out. My Yaris has an automated manual also, gearshift time measured on a Racelogic datalogger is 900ms. No kidding. I think I can live with the Clio gearbox given that.

My other concern would be the lack of a pure mechanical lsd at the front. I don't like electronic braking systems, brakes should be for slowing down, not just wearing away the pads stopping you from more understeer, which it does not seem to do either. A spinning unloaded wheel is fine if you have been too optimistic with the right foot. Maybe I am a but unfashioned here, but a Quaife if possible would be good as after market fitment.

So apart from that it seems pretty good.

It's not a stunning car to look at, but then when driving does this matter? Interior seems better. It's rather Q car to be honest, I like that. I am not a great fan of carbon fibre bits and bobs but that front <> Renault badge is a bit shiny and would be best replaced with carbon fibre version. On a black car that would be even more Q car.

5 door is useful although it adds weight of course, people are already chipping them and of course a turbo car is far better to get big gains out of than a NA car.

The handling almost seems too lairy nowadays compared to the norm in race mode. Richard Meaden almost stacked one at the test track on the launch and Chris Harris thinks some people might get bitten and he is not someone unused to lift off momentum oversteer. So the chassis is as much as you want to be adjustable.

So I am keen to get my hands on one of these. Of course the Euro exchange rate has not done us any favours. For me I know it will be a fantastic experience going up from a Yaris, for people on here who have a previous Clio Sport I can imagine the qualms.

You do have to move from vinyl to CD some time. Sorry, meant FLAC ! Showing my age. Cars are going analogue to digital likewise of course

All the best

Andy

PS First ever car was a Morris Ital 1.3SL estate. Things were 'ard and reet tough int them days.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great first post Andy! It sounds like the car would be perfectly suited to your needs mate.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I for one love it. I can't wait to drive one, and if I get one it will be another couple of years, so more options like Recaros may be available.

My only bug bear is the fact that the cup chassis means you have to go up to 18s.

18s on a clio!? Fml lol. I thought this was no bigger than the current 200?

so it'll be big, narrow, high, with silly wheels?

I really doubt I'd entertain the idea of getting one, although it'll be getting test driven lol

As above Andy, great first post and nice to bring something to the forum.

About 15 years ago I broke my back in a motorbike accident so cannot use a clutch. I must be the only person in the world who is very grateful to Renault for providing a twin clutch gearbox on this car!

Interesting concept, glad this will suit you and in all honesty this is a view point I'd never thought of (which is shocking considering my line of work).

Anyway, welcome to CS.