ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Does it have competition? Swift and ST are warm hatches and the Vxr is now older generation.

Mini? Been out for a few years now.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I think the NEW (note 'NEW', not old, lol) ST is most definitely competition, as is the new 208 Gti.

Im testing one anyway :approve: can't wait lol

I've never had a dealer say I can't afford a car lol, I might start hiding my car around the corner before going in then bwarping away if they say anything :p
When I first tested a 200 at my local dealer, I rocked up in my 172 Flamer. I was 20 at the time. Told them that I couldn't decide between the 200 and a V6. LOL. Because genuine baller.

Clio 200
Lols! Yeah the Bmw CSL was never a drivers car blah blah blah. Heard it.

Autocar wasn't exactly raving about it today but the 5 door element really opens the market up. What a great little family hot hatch? No?
And therein lies the issue – there are some of us who would much rather drive a great hot hatch, than a great little family hot hatch.

clio diesel
And we really can't have a manual gearbox?
No, sorry. Out goes the satisfying, short-throw manual of the old RS, in goes a double-clutcher. Renault claims the cogs physically tag-team in 150 milliseconds, but it's the command-to-obedience time we're interested in. And guess what? It's just a touch too slow... even when you've selected Race mode and reduced shifts to their minimum time. And unlike some really sharp DSGs, you have to stay one step ahead of it. At one point on our drive, while braking hard from fourth gear for a hairpin, the display screen showed it had preselected fifth when third was obviously inevitable.

LOL.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So many varied opinions out there, people can pretty much cherry pick whichever one suits their 'position'.

I for one like what Chris Harris has to say...it's focussed and fun, lively and comfortable, adjustable and fast.

182cup & 172 racecar
It's the varied opinions that concern me really, obviously nobody can make up there mind what it is, or wants to be.

ff cup ur 200
i think it will steal sales in the the fabia vrs market, its not the focused car it once was :sleepy:

Last edited:
And therein lies the issue – there are some of us who would much rather drive a great hot hatch, than a great little family hot hatch.

The thing is though, as I keep repeating to myself, hot hatches are hot versions of practical family cars. If you don't need a hot version of a practical car, then why buy a hot hatch? Why not buy a proper performance car that was designed to be one from the outset?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
When was the Vrs ever focussed?

Although I agree, the current Fabia Vrs is a proper piss-take. Utter nonsense.

clio diesel
So many varied opinions out there, people can pretty much cherry pick whichever one suits their 'position'.

I for one like what Chris Harris has to say...it's focussed and fun, lively and comfortable, adjustable and fast.

Did anyone hate the Clio williams, 205 GTi or the trophy?

clio diesel
The thing is though, as I keep repeating to myself, hot hatches are hot versions of practical family cars. If you don't need a hot version of a practical car, then why buy a hot hatch? Why not buy a proper performance car that was designed to be one from the outset?

Well if you go back through time, there are loads of examples of family cars that turn out to be loads better than specially made sports cars costing a lot more money. Sierra Cosworth being a good example. Impreza Turbo another.

Clio 200
I get where you're coming from, but there's a world of difference between a 'practical' car and a 'practical family' car – all the classic hot hatches down the years cannot ever really be described as 'practical family' cars, be fair.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I see people are still whinging in here? LOL

RIP the last great hot hatch. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think its quite cool, and an interesting new direction for the RS model to take. Yes it looks a bit bland, but doesn't a ph2 172?

Chris Harris likes it so, it must be good! I am looking forward to test driving one :)