ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

CBR1K, F21 125D
Must be a bitter pill if you've not long had a 200 and not got the cash for a new car soon.

Anyone bitter?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
So who is going to order a car that they can't test drive until 2 months later?!

I bet a few do.

A guy on pistonheads ordered the latest Mini Cooper S GP edition without test driving it. Only got drive a normal S and hope it was worth the extra money when it arrived.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
But a 172/182/197/200 were evolutions of a similar theme, no?

Yes, its a hot hatch still.

True. But I was aware that Renault were going to replace the 200 with a totally new model. People on here were still purchasing Clio 200s.

I bet a few do.

A guy on pistonheads ordered the latest Mini Cooper S GP edition without test driving it. Only got drive a normal S and hope it was worth the extra money when it arrived.

See I could understand someone doing that, because the GP edition is in essence the 'same car' just better.

clio diesel
So really, what people said is reflected in the reviews.

Its a better road car and softer, but not as hardcore as previous na cars. And should really have a manual gearbox option. And the looks should have been different to the road car. But it has better build quality and can be faster in the right circumstances.

Renault would obviously have pleased both groups of people if they just bunged a body kit on it and added a manual option. Cant see why they didnt to be honest.

clio diesel
Really? Again? We're going full circle here.

Would it be easy to just mate up some existing manual box - yes
Would it be cheaper - yes
Would it have pleased the prospective cup owners - yes
Would it have made the car lighter - yes

So it would have cost less, added to the hardcore nature and made the car lighter. Surely a no brainer to do and call it the cup verision?

clio diesel
That's all well and good, but are they going to? - No
Should you stop going on about it? - Yes

Well to be fair, we dont know what renault will do, if there is demand for a manual, they will obviously make one as they are in the business to make money. They could bring out all sorts of changes based on feedback.

And again, how long before someone takes one of these and fits a manual box themselves? I am guessing after the warranty expires in 3 years time and the first GB that blows up after that will write the car off.

SQ5
Would it be easy to just mate up some existing manual box - yes
Would it be cheaper - yes
Would it have pleased the prospective cup owners - yes
Would it have made the car lighter - yes

So it would have cost less, added to the hardcore nature and made the car lighter. Surely a no brainer to do and call it the cup verision?

I've only ever seen you in this thread and I've got a pretty good grasp on how stupid you are to keep going on about the same things over and over.

It's not that easy to just mate up an existing manual box is it? It's not just the box that needs to be changed.

Therefore it wouldn't be cheaper.

It would of pleased a few Internet forum geeks to talk about it over and over who won't even drive the new model or buy one new.

It's lighter than a MkIII anyway so its no biggy.

The more and more media coming out on this is really impressing me and can definitely see that more and more people are coming around to it. I like it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My issues with my 182 was always how crap the gearchange was, so this "flappy paddle" is made of win in my opinion.

clio diesel
I've only ever seen you in this thread and I've got a pretty good grasp on how stupid you are to keep going on about the same things over and over.

It's not that easy to just mate up an existing manual box is it? It's not just the box that needs to be changed.

Therefore it wouldn't be cheaper.

It would of pleased a few Internet forum geeks to talk about it over and over who won't even drive the new model or buy one new.

It's lighter than a MkIII anyway so its no biggy.

The more and more media coming out on this is really impressing me and can definitely see that more and more people are coming around to it. I like it.

No need to be hostile. I am interested in the car and am trying to be civil in the way i discuss it, like adults should be.

I would not buy one new, but have concerns about the gearbox if the car is bought second hand. Hence the wish to discuss it. Not everyone will buy this car new and residuals and possible future expense is also worthy of consideration. These cars will start to appear second hand by the end of the year and so the time-scale seems relevant to this thread.

Also if renault does plan to release a manual version later, it would be of interest to discuss this possibility.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I love a moan and opinion as much as anyone but this is becoming tiresome.

Don't lock it Tom, it's a cracking thread for the car itself just start dishing out prizes.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
TBH im struggling to find fault with it.
  • Lighter
  • Improved chassis
  • Better interior
  • Better exterior design over its predecessor
  • More practical
  • More efficient
  • Engine already has some racing pedigree
  • Extra clutch
  • comes in white
Whats not to like?

I wanted all those things from the 197/200 and Renualt didnt deliver all. Now it has

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I love a moan and opinion as much as anyone but this is becoming tiresome.

Don't lock it Tom, it's a cracking thread for the car itself just start dishing out prizes.

It was a reference to Harris's opinion being final.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
10+ years ago I seem to remember another debate like this about a "very different" car.

Lets hope current 200 owners don't lose perspective like the gold wheel clan did.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Providing its reliable I think it will sell like hot cakes, I'd love to try one out and although the flappy paddle is a dissapointment to some I feel its a great modern aspect to the car and means the driver can focus more on getting the most out the chassis without having to f**k about with a clutch and 'loose' gearbox like on previous models.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember exactly but I think the tyre they said wasn't continental.

Don't know what makes me think Kumho.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I can't remember exactly but I think the tyre they said wasn't continental.

Don't know what makes me think Kumho.

Thats what they are using on the new Mini Cooper S GP aswell im sure, the semi slick versions. Unreal tyres.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Has anyone got any info on the different tyres you get with the cup / non-cup versions?

Yes
Cup

18" Renaultsport alloy wheels - silver with 205/40 R18 86Y (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT)
18" Renaultsport alloy wheels - black gloss with
205/40 R18 86Y (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT)

Non cup
17" RenaultSport alloy wheels - silver with 205/45 R17 88Y (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2)