ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio lost power and now wont start?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Was coming around a sweeping bend going down hill, went into third and jumped on the throttle to power out/down it, and nothing, absolutly nothing, engine was off.
Didn't stall or anything, no thuds, bangs, vibrations, music was on Quietly! didn't even notice! .. pulled over, hazzards on, just wouldn't start and the starter wont engage, any ideas?
Its burning oil as the valve stem seals are gone, but its topped right up and i always keep it like that till i get it fixed, so i know it aint seized.

Few ideas in my head are the head gasket has gone, pots filled with water and wont turn over?
f**ked Starter?

1st thing im going to do is whip the plugs out and try turning it over then, and see what happens and go from there?

Was annoying as was only about 5 miles from home, had to get Dad to come and tow me in the bmw.

Thoughts?

Edit: Just so you know, this is a standard 1.2 8V engine im talking about, not a Fuel injected R5 Gtt Engine.

Jap Box
Im pretty sure with a head gasket gone the car will still start and run, just be really really rough and overheat constantly like my mates saxo did.

Can you hear the starter clicking over, or trying?

Simpl tried pressing the crash button in to see if that might have possibly triggered?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Mine dont have a crash button?
The head gasket went before between cylinders 2 and 3, and it ran but just in "Limp" mode. but depends if there is lots of water in the pot?
Also, got the light in the bay tonight and noticed splatters of oil on the bulkhead at the lower part of the engine, dont look good.
Yeah can hear starter trying to engage but it just wont.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Managed to get it to turn over after a few hours of playing.
Checked all the fuses, all was fine, so took the starter motor out and stripped it down, rebuilt it and greased the cog end.
Turns over fine, getting spark fine, but now not getting fuel so im guessing TDC sensor?

Going to pick one up tomorrow. :)

Jap Box
Mine dont have a crash button?
The head gasket went before between cylinders 2 and 3, and it ran but just in "Limp" mode. but depends if there is lots of water in the pot?
Also, got the light in the bay tonight and noticed splatters of oil on the bulkhead at the lower part of the engine, dont look good.
Yeah can hear starter trying to engage but it just wont.

They all have a crash button as far as im aware :S should be on the right of the engine bay, red button? Its the fuel cut off one that can sometimes engage itself after a pot hole bump etc if it taks that much of an impact.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Nah mine aint got one mate..

DSCF0398.gif

DSCF0376.gif

172 cup- suzu rf600r
They all have a crash button as far as im aware :S should be on the right of the engine bay, red button? Its the fuel cut off one that can sometimes engage itself after a pot hole bump etc if it taks that much of an impact.

ha ha, seriously?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Picked up a new TDC sensor today, fitted it, and was still not getting fuel, after racking my brains i took the oil filler cap off, shined a light down there and turned it over, cam wasn't moving, turns out the Cambelt had snapped.

45 mins later had the head in the garage on the bench, valves and pistons were fine, stripped the head down all valves and springs out. Was going to replace the valve stem oil seals as my car is burning oil. Turns out it wasn't the seals, it was the piston rings, i aint bothing to change them considering the engine wont be in there any longer than 6 months, so will put up with the little bit its burning. I couldn't change the seals either as they gave me the wrong ones. I bought them months ago and have lost the reciet, so they went straight in the bin and i built it back up as it was before i stripped it down.

Will pick head gasket and cambelt tomorrow.

Ffs.