ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio M4R engine noise

Clio 172
Strange one. So my brothers got a 197. He bought it from a dealer without me taking a look witg him, he's kind of a spare of the moment guy.
The deal was they done a cambelt and water pump, I know it's been done as the parts are in the boot.
Any way it makes this noise once warm if not driven hard. The noise I initially suspected was a tight belt, I had him take it back to the garage to check as I was reluctant to start digging holes in someone else's work and they came back all good.

He lost faith and asked me to take a look, stripped it down and timing is bang on and the tension of the belt is perfect both with the tensioner and a digital belt tension meter.

I reset all the parameters from cold in the ecu and boom, the noise starts, even louder, didn't even need to drive it. Pick the revs up as it gets quieter.
If you rev it to the red line the noise disappears almost completely.

With a stethoscope I've traced the noise to the depahsher area but after inspection reluctant to think it's failed as it's not the normal noise you'd expect.
My only other thoughts are lack of oil pressure through the vvt solenoid gauze or wrong oil.
I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar noise or if its a characteristic of these engines before I go ahead and waste time diagnosing any further.

Cheers for any help in advance

Clio 172
Like a tight belt noise. It's hard to explain. A mix of whine and a drone.

I'll try grab a sound clip when I get chance

2008 Clio 197 Sport
I have brand new Dephaser solenoid, fitted twice and +- 5km done, that I want to sell if the issue is related but some info anyway. Let my know if interested

PH2 172
@Blerg try looking at the black plastic breather that connects to the throttle body. They're quite common for that causing a whining noise.
So they banged it back together with the existing 36k/5 yr interval aux belt/tens/pulleys whilst performing a 72K/5 yr service schedule?

PH2 172

It`s obvious the job was not done correctly with the proper kits.
They should have been able to produce the old items,both belts,auxilary tensioner & idler pulley,cambelt tensioner & 2 idler pulley,exhaust cam nut,inlet cam bolt,cam seals & dephaser blanking piece seal.
That said,the buyer got what he asked for,probably a Conti belt & an aftermarket water pump.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

It`s obvious the job was not done correctly with the proper kits.
They should have been able to produce the old items,both belts,auxilary tensioner & idler pulley,cambelt tensioner & 2 idler pulley,exhaust cam nut,inlet cam bolt,cam seals & dephaser blanking piece seal.
That said,the buyer got what he asked for,probably a Conti belt & an aftermarket water pump.
So what relevance does that have to my post that you quoted? I see what your saying, but struggling to understand how and why it's even remotely related to my post.

PH2 172
So what relevance does that have to my post that you quoted? I see what your saying, but struggling to understand how and why it's even remotely related to my post.
Fair point.It was an invitation to you to add your words of wisdom regarding skimping on belt change kits.
M4R in a 197,what happened to the F4R?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Fair point.It was an invitation to you to add your words of wisdom regarding skimping on belt change kits.
M4R in a 197,what happened to the F4R?
197's aren't as susceptible to the dephaser issues in comparison the the 1*2's tbh mate. I only ever use genuine Renault or gates belt kits, but I've fitted plenty of the other kits for people. Not through choice though!
M4R I imagine was a typo tbh.