ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk1 16v issues getting 1st/2nd gear engaged, thoughts?

Clio Mk1 1.8 16v
After any thoughts about a gear selection issue I'm having, know issues, common faults etc. Here goes:

• Stationary and trying to select 1st, pretty my a no go,
  • Stationary try to select 2nd, pretty much a no go,
  • Stationary and try to select another gear, not tried yet.
  • Stationary try to select 1st, lift the clutch up a little and wiggle the lever forward and you'll get the gear.
  • On the move go from 1st to 2nd, double declutch and you can normally get the change into 2nd done, try to just go 1st to 2nd and it'll balk at going in. Similar to getting 1st when stationary, lift the clutch a little, wiggle the leave and you can get the gear.
  • 2nd to 3rd normally ok, but sometimes can be an issue, if you apply an abnormal amount of pressure it'll 'pop' in, but feels forced.
  • 3rd to 4th normally ok
  • 4th to 5th never a problem, 5th to 4th never a problem

The issue is there no matter the ambient temperature, if the car is warm or cold, been sat for weeks or in the middle of a long drive. Clutch (origins of are unknown as I've just got the car) bite point is low, doesn't slip and otherwise 'feels' fine. It has the usual Mk1 16v stiffness to the clutch, but each one I've driven feels like that.

Gearbox mount has just been replaced, OS upper engine mount just replaced, NS lower engine mount inspected and fine.

Not sure if there are any common or known issues that match these symptoms?
Cheers
Darren

I can't remember - is it a cable-only clutch or is there brake/clutch fluid and a reservoir?

If it uses brake/clutch fluid, make sure it is topped up!

If it is cable only, (I think it is?) IIRC the clutch cable alignment can be difficult on these, so it could be worth checking the routing of the cable.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Ai cable clutch

Best bet is try a reset of the ratchett on the pedal assembly.

Pop cable off box end, depress clutch pedal as far as it'll go, carefully pull cable back over box end and depress pedal to bottom again. Should hear mech click as takes up slack. If it doesn't depress again, then with pedal down still remove the little green bump stop, then let pedal up very carefully till you hear single click. Press down immediately on pedal and hold down whilst you refit bump stop. Operate as normal to test.

Repeat if required adding additional click with stop out each time to set.

Clio Mk1 1.8 16v
Ai cable clutch

Best bet is try a reset of the ratchett on the pedal assembly.

Pop cable off box end, depress clutch pedal as far as it'll go, carefully pull cable back over box end and depress pedal to bottom again. Should hear mech click as takes up slack. If it doesn't depress again, then with pedal down still remove the little green bump stop, then let pedal up very carefully till you hear single click. Press down immediately on pedal and hold down whilst you refit bump stop. Operate as normal to test.

Repeat if required adding additional click with stop out each time to set.

A massive thanks for your help on this, I tried it, including removing the green bump stop and the issue has been sorted. Bite point it higher, but only one point where 4th to 3rd and one point from going into 1st from a stationary. Dead chuffed, thanks again bud