ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk1 (williams or valver) handle as well as the mk2 172/182

Basically as per my newbie post, long time renault entusiast, From 5's/19's to clios/meggy. I have had them all in 1 way or another. Im old skool first and formost, so have never owned a newer renault (172/182 etc). I have had the clio 16v and played with a williams. Both handle very nicely especialy the williams with the wider track. Problem is last night i went out in a friends 182 (forum member) and im going to be honest i need cornering like that in my life haha. But and this is a HUGE but, I would like to be able to handle b roads like a 182 in a williams or 16v (mk1). Seems silly but i just prefer the mk1's, now what i need to know is simple, can a mk1 clio handle as well as mk2 clio with modifications tat dont involve majour pains in the backside.

Big thanks in advance.

Mike

Is there a big difference between the way a Mk1 handles to a Mk2? I went from Mk1 Clio 16v to a Ph1 172 and while straight line speed was better, it didn't feel massively faster when cornering, just a bit heavier.

Well since i last drove a clio 16v/williams were talking 5-6 years :p... I remember em being well sorted but what i was in last night was biblical around corners. Perhaps im not doing the mk1 any justice here and perhaps need to throw one about and determine what the actual difference is. Either way id be looking at a hyrbid 16v or a williams with 150hp or a tad more from some modifications. I doubt they are even that much slower in a straight line :)

53 Clio's & counting
Mk2 Clio has better rear suspension but is heavier - swings and roundabouts really.

personally I think the mk2 is a better starting point (iv had 3 mk1's, and 3 mk2's so have had experience with both) and i have tracked all constantly over the past 8 years, but it is down to pwrsonal opinion, some prefere the feel of the mk1, some the mk2 and generally speaking yes you can make a mk1 grip as much as a mk2 as such, but there is a lot more to it :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
MK2s have a wider front track by around 5mm than the clio williams, (which is 27mm wider than the clio valver track iirc)
mk2s also have a thicker anti-roll bar i think

the mk1s have 269mm front brakes compared to 280mm front brake on the mk2.

and the mk2s have shocks and springs rear beam suspension, rather than torsion bar on a fixed beam.

the mk2 is also heavier by around 200kgs iirc

so there was quite a few differences that will very subtly affect the handling.

HOWEVER the good news is all of the mk2 172 front suspension will fit on the mk2, youll need to change the wishbones, hubs, coilovers, brakes, discs, shafts, bushes and ARB.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The struts won't fit.

I've got a mk1 16v and in it its got a 172 engine/box/clutch and also the bottom arms, Hubs, discs/pads/calipers and driveshafts. Effectively its a 172 in a mk1 shell. You can leave the 1.8 engine in if you wish and still run the rest of it with 172 parts.

Handles good! lol.

If you get stuck, theres a few people on here with mk1's that will be happy to help. I built mine by just copying two members on here and harrassing them with emails. (f0xy and Whiteley)

Hope that helps.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I did mean that, bt as above, you technically need to use custom shocks that are slightly shorted from what I've been told.

However I've not really researched it so can't say for certain!!

You could call it epic, or you could just call it lazy of renault!!

Silly question but how does your mk1 (with 172 running gear) perform, assuming its lighter than a mk2 so i expect you give them a run for there money!

I am going to have to go out in a williams and then my friend with the 182 has said i can play with his, after that it's buying time :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got a williams with 172 brakes and wishbones that i'll be selling soon! ;)

BMW M5 & E36
If you get stuck, theres a few people on here with mk1's that will be happy to help. I built mine by just copying two members on here and harrassing them with emails. (f0xy and Whiteley)

Hi!

Anyone want to buy mine?

263049_10150234361159080_695914079_7481177_1524214_n.jpg

ITB'd MK1
really tricky to say which is better as it's so much down to taste. the mk2 rear end is easier to customise, but I prefer the way a torsion bar rear handles. What I've really found is wrong with my RSI (same as a valver front end) is the lack of castor

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Surely the amazing handling difference you experienced could just be down to some super sticky tyres? :clown:

He was running good tyres admitadly. I cant see it being all down to them, personaly i run uniroyal rainsports on anything performance, i love the way they feel :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
i want a 172/182d MK1 sooooooooooooo bad or even a willy with some mods as they are much quicker on the qaurter mile than 172/182 with the equivarlent mods :)

i had a 1.9d and that was bloody good fun (tail happy but yet controlable) should ave just kept it for a future build as i only sold it for 150 quid :(

buuuuuuuut i just dont want to go older i still like the newer stuff in my 182 for on the road atm lol hopefully in the near future and when i have increased funds i can buy a MK1 and do a 172/182 swap for track :)

just for piece of mind does it matter what MK1 shell i use whether it be a 1.4RT or a valve for the best out comes of a build like this??

Personally, if i cant find a hybrid i like or a williams in the next month or so. Im going to buy the absoloute best shell i can (valver). Get the track of the willy, Grab coilovers and then find a meggane 2.016v to molest. I desperatly want the original turbines though in white :) bet they are hard work to find nower days

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Personally, if i cant find a hybrid i like or a williams in the next month or so. Im going to buy the absoloute best shell i can (valver). Get the track of the willy, Grab coilovers and then find a meggane 2.016v to molest. I desperatly want the original turbines though in white :) bet they are hard work to find nower days

There's a guy selling some here http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42643

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've heard they're going for even sillier money on veedub forums :S

Tbh I didn't even see the price when I posted that, just instantly thought & remembered about this thread :eek: