ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK3 Facelift Project

MK3 facelift clio
Hello!

Finally decided to join up here and make a first post after seeing some of the nice projects people had on the go. So here goes...
This is my second car, my first was an X plate polo (1.0 polo e) in red, it was a death trap, but it got me through my test and about 6 months driving before it started breaking down regularly (recurring coil pack problem)... :rasp:

Now however I have a MK3 facelift clio iMusic 1.2 (sadly not the TCE version).
Im only 18 at the moment so anything faster was just too pricey for insurance. But for £680 for the year with a box fitted I can't really complain.

In terms of mods I haven't been able to do a great deal since my insurance is pretty strict.
Alpine head unit fitted, fli 1200watt sub, black wrapped interior trim, renault canasta wheels fitted, debadged boot, fly eyes (now changed, will update with photos).
Suggestions are welcome ;) , but here's the progress so far.

The car as I got it
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg

First thing I did was debadge the boot logos and also remove the iMusic logos...
IMG_2803.jpg
Next thing I did was wrap the logos. I was originally going to spray them black, but opted for carbon dinoc as I had some spare lying around. (excuse the dirt)
IMG_2878.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg

After that I added fly eye tints to both the front and rear, looking to add to the monochrome sort of colour scheme. Possibly planning to do some colour coding further down the line.
IMG_3126.jpg
IMG_3127.jpg
Originally I liked the fly eye's (however they really reduce light output) but I've been shopping around for headlights with the black surround inside like I've seen on some clios, having a hard time finding them though.

Next thing I done was pick up a set of black and chrome renault Canasta alloys. I had originally wanted aftermarket alloys but my insurance refused to cover me on anything other than wheels that were 'original'. After convincing them that these were an 'optional extra' at purchase they eventually agreed to cover me. :rasp:
Picked them up for £180 with yokohama tyres on the front and 'sunny' tyres on the rear, all brand new tread.
IMG_3210.jpg
They never came with centre caps, so I ended up buying a scabby set off ebay (£12), prepped and sprayed them. Paint thinner took the original metallic paint completely off with some persuasion, and then buffed them up with some semi-fine grit sandpaper. Gloss black with matte white diamonds.
IMG_3211.jpgIMG_3212.jpg
Here's how they turned out (EXCUSE DIRT :()
IMG_3215.jpg

That's really all so far, apart from the interior (photos to come)
Any input is welcome. I realise that the car baaaadly needs lowered so some tips/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated :cool:

MK3 facelift clio
Took some photos of what I've replaced the fly eyes with. I got some matte black smoke tints for the back and light tint for the front, still passed its MOT, much better light output that the fly eyes and also looks a bit better I think :)
would still rather have the black surround headlights though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 374
  MK3 facelift clio
Same as my car but in white:race: looking good,love the alloys! check out my thread if you want for some ideas:)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?719035-My-little-1-2-mk3-clio-imusic

Checked it out man, very nice! Think I'm gonna go for the Heko wind deflectors, hadn't even crossed my mind adding them until I seen your thread. Might consider tints when I have the cash too haha. See your centre air vent, how did you find it wrapping that? I've wrapped the rest of mine however I couldn't get the centre one out without thinking I was going to break it :p

MK3 facelift clio
Haha, I don't actually drive around like this. :rasp: Was simply showing off the tinted headlights, shot looked better with them on.

Last edited:
  MK3 facelift clio
Here's the interior so far, still to cover the centre air vent but I'm struggling to remove it without breaking it... :rasp:

IMG_3446.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  MK3 facelift clio
Here's the ridiculous wheel gap...
IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Think I'm gonna go with lowering springs to sort it, any idea how much a garage would charge to fit them?

Clio mk3
Checked it out man, very nice! Think I'm gonna go for the Heko wind deflectors, hadn't even crossed my mind adding them until I seen your thread. Might consider tints when I have the cash too haha. See your centre air vent, how did you find it wrapping that? I've wrapped the rest of mine however I couldn't get the centre one out without thinking I was going to break it :p

thanks man,tints really make a difference with the wind deflectors. with the vent i just stuck a flat head in the side and worked my way around and it all popped out,really simple to wrap because you can take the trim off so its easier

MK3 facelift clio
I'll give it a try in the near future! Seen some of your posts about looking for lowering springs. Seen any within your budget? I'm sort of on the same boat as you haha :rasp: Can't decide what to do with my insurance being so strict against mods too :(

Clio mk3
I'll give it a try in the near future! Seen some of your posts about looking for lowering springs. Seen any within your budget? I'm sort of on the same boat as you haha :rasp: Can't decide what to do with my insurance being so strict against mods too :(

only ones i seen was on ebay for like £70 and that lowered it by 35mm all round. but they're probably really uncomfortable:( but i'm gonna save up for coilovers and can get them for around £150! Cars off the road atm got a dodgy gear box think the selectors out of place,so its off for repair on monday,thank god i still had warranty haha! i havent put anything on the insurance yet because its just little things! but will be getting a quote for coils on it

MK3 facelift clio
Yeah I seen them too. I really want to lower my car but my insurance is strict no mods policy... sad times :( But when it runs up i'm gonna try get some coilovers on it. Was really considering the Eibach lowering springs since they look oem anyways :/ too scared to chance it haha. but for 680 a year on insurance atm I can't really complain :p

Clio mk3
Yeah I seen them too. I really want to lower my car but my insurance is strict no mods policy... sad times :( But when it runs up i'm gonna try get some coilovers on it. Was really considering the Eibach lowering springs since they look oem anyways :/ too scared to chance it haha. but for 680 a year on insurance atm I can't really complain :p
your insurance is 680 a year?:O mines 2500 with me as second driver!

MK3 facelift clio
I'm on insurethebox so I've got a box monitoring my driving. HOWEVER, they can't penalise me for anything... So it works out ok. No mods though :( their underwriting team decided to cover the alloys though :)

MK3 facelift clio
Just cut some small pieces of thin white plastic I had to shape and positioned them and clipped the badges back on. The rear badge came flying off when I took it to a hand car wash so I've lost that one. Easy job though! :rasp:

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Just letting you know, they don't charge much extra for a TCE. I had a 1.1 MK3, traded it in for a 1.1TCE MK3, about £500 cheaper a year on insurance for me. Don't ask me how.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
your insurance is 680 a year?:O mines 2500 with me as second driver!

800 Quid with Modifications with Admiral, 19 year old, 1 Write off MK2 unsolved.

Mod list:
172/182 Injectors
Remap/Superchip
Full Cat Back Exhaust
DV Kit

138BHP 1.1 TCE

Soon:
FORGE Intercooler
Sparco R100 Buckets
Eibach Springs

Get shopping son, your being ripped off like many other people.

Some mods for OP to consider too, but if its a non turbo then you may as well wait to be honest and buy a TCE before spending big money; optionally if you want to buy buckets you can always swap them in to your new car in the future. If your wondering why I am spending so much on a 1.1, I don't want a 2.0l, I drive extra urban 90% of the time so a 1.1 with punch makes real sense to me.

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
800 Quid with Modifications with Admiral, 19 year old, 1 Write off MK2 unsolved.

Mod list:
172/182 Injectors
Remap/Superchip
Full Cat Back Exhaust
DV Kit

138BHP 1.1 TCE

remap or superchip? is that a 100TCE or 120TCE model?

MK3 facelift clio
Nice mods! There's no real point in me messing with performance on mine since it's a 1.2 non turbo, it will never really be fast haha...
The TCE model sounds like something to look into though if the insurance isn't much dearer.

I'll look into it! :)

Clio RS 200 Gordini
remap or superchip? is that a 100TCE or 120TCE model?

Remap sorry, TCE 100 mate, MK 3. I'll slam up a dyno graph in my project thread on Thursday. Getting Diagnostics etc.

PS Sorry for the Steal, just wanted to give you an example of some badass mods that you can take in to account when you change insurers!

Looks clean by the way, whats the difference between a regular MK3 and an I-Music?

MK3 facelift clio
Keep them coming haha, love reading about stuff I can consider further down the line.
There's not really much difference at all, apart from it comes with speakers in the rear and a factory fitted parrot Bluetooth system. Can't really think of anything else that isn't standard.

MK3 facelift clio
Just checked quotes on insurance for a clio mk3 GT, 1300 :O think if I decide to upgrade ill definitely go with that.

And the wheels are standard! Rare set of black/chrome renault canasta wheels. The centre caps I had to paint myself though.

Clio mk3

Mod list:
172/182 Injectors
Remap/Superchip
Full Cat Back Exhaust
DV Kit

138BHP 1.1 TCE

Soon:
FORGE Intercooler
Sparco R100 Buckets
Eibach Springs

Some mods for OP to consider too, but if its a non turbo then you may as well wait to be honest and buy a TCE before spending big money; optionally if you want to buy buckets you can always swap them in to your new car in the future. If your wondering why I am spending so much on a 1.1, I don't want a 2.0l, I drive extra urban 90% of the time so a 1.1 with punch makes real sense to me.
mines that high because im a new driver and its my first car,i have a 1.2 mk3 facelift too.

Mk3 1.4 clio
Just checked quotes on insurance for a clio mk3 GT, 1300 :O think if I decide to upgrade ill definitely go with that.

And the wheels are standard! Rare set of black/chrome renault canasta wheels. The centre caps I had to paint myself though.
oh yeah their nice mate I like them.

MK3 facelift clio
mines that high because im a new driver and its my first car,i have a 1.2 mk3 facelift too.

I really don't know why mines is so low. I think it's cause I got insured with insurethebox when I was still learning and they judge your quote based on your driving. Mine was 1500 for the first year and now it's down at 680.

Mk3 1.4 clio
Thanks! Picked them up for a steal off someone local. Came with new tyres too all for about 200 I think. Was originally planning to get a standard set and paint them gloss black.

with tyres aswell, bargain mate. when you changed your stereo did you buy the leads so you keep the stalk controls?

Clio mk3
I really don't know why mines is so low. I think it's cause I got insured with insurethebox when I was still learning and they judge your quote based on your driving. Mine was 1500 for the first year and now it's down at 680.
all of my firends that are new drivers are all paying around the same as me,my friend with a 1.0 corsa is paying 200 with admiral as a named driver

MK3 facelift clio
with tyres aswell, bargain mate. when you changed your stereo did you buy the leads so you keep the stalk controls?

Yokohama s drive on the front too, it was steal! Not yet, when I have a little extra cash I will though, the lead is about 30 quid. Oh the joys of being a student haha.

MK3 facelift clio
all of my firends that are new drivers are all paying around the same as me,my friend with a 1.0 corsa is paying 200 with admiral as a named driver

It's the same with all my friends, most of them are named drivers. I'm just glad it's in my own name, means I'm building up my NCB, already got a year since I got insured before I'd even passed my test :D

Clio mk3
It's the same with all my friends, most of them are named drivers. I'm just glad it's in my own name, means I'm building up my NCB, already got a year since I got insured before I'd even passed my test :D
im going to look having insurance in my own name next year seems ill be 18 so hopefully it'll be affordable haha!

Clio RS 200 Gordini

Yeah mines the facelift too :) much nicer front end than the old ones; would never have bought one if not for the new front end. I hear people mentioning that Eibach springs are great for handling; might want to consider that as your first mod when it comes around! Not long for me till I get on it, can't take it around a track without confidence.. too much body roll it gives you a headache and makes you feel sick.

Picture does it no justice, looks much sexier when you actually see it.
(I know its the back, but its all you'll ever see anyway ;) Phaha! Sarcasm)

http://i.imgur.com/LvVFzqy.jpg

MK3 facelift clio
Yeah, agreed, the facelift front end end is much nicer. Yeah the reviews on them are good, just don't have the option for them at the moment with my insurance :( Ten months and I'm free :rasp:

Very nice! Guessing that's an aftermarket exhaust?

I've kinda had a notion not to do anything else to this car and just trade up for a Clio mk3 gt vvt instead. When I add up the price of insurance, mods etc it seems like a better option. Gonna go try a test drive in one sometime this week so I shall post my thoughts. A garage in my hometown has one in black :cool:

Clio mk3
Yeah mines the facelift too :) much nicer front end than the old ones; would never have bought one if not for the new front end. I hear people mentioning that Eibach springs are great for handling; might want to consider that as your first mod when it comes around! Not long for me till I get on it, can't take it around a track without confidence.. too much body roll it gives you a headache and makes you feel sick.

Picture does it no justice, looks much sexier when you actually see it.
(I know its the back, but its all you'll ever see anyway ;) Phaha! Sarcasm)

http://i.imgur.com/LvVFzqy.jpg

mine doesnt have any major mods,but hered the thread showing everything ive done
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?719035-My-little-1-2-mk3-clio-imusic

cars being picked up tomorrow for repair because the gear selector is out so no car for a week or so:(

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Remap sorry, TCE 100 mate, MK 3. I'll slam up a dyno graph in my project thread on Thursday. Getting Diagnostics etc.

PS Sorry for the Steal, just wanted to give you an example of some badass mods that you can take in to account when you change insurers!

Looks clean by the way, whats the difference between a regular MK3 and an I-Music?

looking forward to this thread as I have a 100TCE to play around with :)

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Yeah, agreed, the facelift front end end is much nicer. Yeah the reviews on them are good, just don't have the option for them at the moment with my insurance :( Ten months and I'm free :rasp:

Very nice! Guessing that's an aftermarket exhaust?

I've kinda had a notion not to do anything else to this car and just trade up for a Clio mk3 gt vvt instead. When I add up the price of insurance, mods etc it seems like a better option. Gonna go try a test drive in one sometime this week so I shall post my thoughts. A garage in my hometown has one in black :cool:

To be frank I would just get the Turbo Charged 1.1 and kit it out so it produces 135BHP ish. All you need is 172/182 injectors and a remap and your already tapping 128+BHP, an aftermarket exhaust and filter would compliment that loads. Then you have fuel economy when you don't want to slam it about and a lovely pulling turbo when you want it. Petrol and Tax may hit you harder than you expect with a 1.6! Depends how you drive though, urban; extra urban or motorways?

Yes longlife full cat back. I have to say; the car looks a million times better with it. I'm sure we will all agree that they are damn good looking cars.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
looking forward to this thread as I have a 100TCE to play around with :)

Won't regret it. Fuel economy is the reason I never got a 2.0l 197/200 because I drive extra urban, we are talking 2-5 mile journeys regular. Would have such a bad MPG from it.

If you hard drive a TCE you can get them as low as 28MPG.