ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Modifying - if you could start over where would you go....

Rolls

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/ EscCos
So.. Bit of a general question for all of you guys..
I've recently bought a 182 - essentially a blank canvas if you will.. Belts will be done shortly, and I'll be asking the garage (two techs) to give me a list of stuff that needs attention..
My actual plan for the car is to essentially keep it as a fast road car that's suitable for the occasional track day (with a list of what I intent to do further down..) and this leads me to my question for you.. If you could start over, what would you still do.. What would you change. And, most importantly.. Where would you stop?

My plan is pretty much as follows:
Ensure the engine is healthy and do the following mods for 'power' : cat back exhaust, and air filter.
Change the engine mounts / gearbox mounts - assume vibratecs (or equivalent) are suitable
Brakes : go to the brake man on here (I can't remember his user id!) - rears all replaced with new items, front updated (standard sized) discs and pads, and new hoses. Obviously flush the system and replace fluid.
Wheels - get some turinis, and some half sensible track suitable rubber that's still ok on road (any suggestions?). Ensure its all tracked as it should be.. Camber bolts worth looking at?- which leads me to...
Suspension : replace all of the bushes with power flex items. New (standard) shocks and cooksport springs. New lower arms, track rod ends and ball joints too.
Interior - retrimmed steering wheel, 2 buckets, 2 harnesses and a cage (although it will only be 1 bucket seat in the near future - the rest can wait!

So.. Over to you!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'd buy a car that already had all the modifications I intended on doing because it would a damn sight cheaper doing them myself.

But assuming I had a standard car i'd do the exact same things again :

Brembo HC discs and pads
Braided steel brake lines with good quality brake fluid
Eibach Proline springs & cup dampers
High quality 2.5" stainless steel exhaust
Uprated engine, gearbox and dogbone mounts,
Polybushed all round
V6 Espace airbox for the noise
Matched inlets
98ron remap
Aircon delete

That little lot has made it a nice little fast road car.

DB.

BMW 440i
I used to have a Racing Blue 182.

I'd have purchased turini's and had them silver (rather than std 182 cup pack wheels)
Steering wheel retrimmed
Nothing else!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd buy a car that already had all the modifications I intended on doing because it would a damn sight cheaper doing them myself.

But assuming I had a standard car i'd do the exact same things again :

Brembo HC discs and pads
Braided steel brake lines with good quality brake fluid
Eibach Proline springs & cup dampers
High quality 2.5" stainless steel exhaust
Uprated engine, gearbox and dogbone mounts,
Polybushed all round
V6 Espace airbox for the noise
Matched inlets
98ron remap
Aircon delete

That little lot has made it a nice little fast road car.

Completely agree and that's what I did 2nd time round knowing more about them from here... Although though you still end up doing stuff lol.

I wouldn't change anything on mine so far. Could just do with a front end respray and an RS2 to go with the cams.

Rolls

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/ EscCos
For those that said do nothing, I think you're slightly missing the point - the newest of these are what.. 10 years old now.. If they have been used at all properly through their lives then renewing aspects (in particular the brakes and suspension) should be top of the list to ensure they remain as good as they were out of the factory - otherwise you'll end up with a car that isn't as tight and nice handling wise as they should be :)

Listerine & Poledo
Take mods money
Spend it on track days and fuel.

More fun in an afternoon on a track than months of dragging your sump over speedbumps and watching out for speedguns around every corner.

But that's just sensible talking, clearly what you should do is piss thousands away on go-faster bits that will make all the placebo effect in the world.

Clio 182
Maybe yours is loose but after 130k mines still spot on and it's been abused on track.
I've replaced many items but only due to the fact they were worn out.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Arse licker.

Have you seen a bear's arse? Natural defences prevent any form of interference in that area. Anyway, I digress...

In answer to the OP - I'd do whatever I needed based on the intended use. Road car / commuter - nothing except good maintenance. Track car or toy, depends how long you intend on keeping it / using it.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you look over your shoulder the next time go you into the woods.

There's alot of inexpensive things you can do to these cars that improve and optimise their performance, to say don't bother and save your money implies Renault have done an absolutely perfect job in the first place and nothing needs improving whatsoever, cars are built down to a budget not up to a standard, every car can be improved in some way without pissing money up the wall.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Make sure you look over your shoulder the next time go you into the woods.

There's alot of inexpensive things you can do to these cars that improve and optimise their performance, to say don't bother and save your money implies Renault have done an absolutely perfect job in the first place and nothing needs improving whatsoever, cars are built down to a budget not up to a standard, every car can be improved in some way without pissing money up the wall.

I agree, suppose I phrased it badly. Don't spend big money if it is a daily / commuter.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
For those that said do nothing, I think you're slightly missing the point - the newest of these are what.. 10 years old now.. If they have been used at all properly through their lives then renewing aspects (in particular the brakes and suspension) should be top of the list to ensure they remain as good as they were out of the factory - otherwise you'll end up with a car that isn't as tight and nice handling wise as they should be :)

Since new the cars had standard services, belts, a coil pack, lambda, new Oe front suspension, track rods, ball joints, cv boots, all the expected tyres disks and brakes, washer pumps, exhaust... That's it..

Brakes pads are ds2500 and brembo, tyres are Michelins, Cheaps a bad idea..

Exhaust is a scorpion because it was cheaper..

From the first mile to the 65,000th this cars been great, well maintained, reliable and cheap. There's never been a need to pi55 money away, ill leave that to everyone else..

If I was to go out and replace it with another 182 tomorrow, I'd want OE again..

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Doing it all over again... All of what you've said minus engine/gearbox mounts. Just pollybush the dog bone mount for crisper gear changes but make sure OE mounts engine/gearbox are good.
I still think the best mod for the Clio was fitting a diff!!
Track pads when doing trackdays.
Throw in some uprated cams when having belts done for a little extra power.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
6d050f4839da21b1aa97183cd694b38d.jpg

Parked up waiting for a new owner.

Suzuki Jimny
When I got my 172 cup I replaced the exhaust (original fell off) New standard engine mounts, shocks and springs, brakes and new tyres.
Also re-trimmed the manky steering wheel :)

Rolls

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/ EscCos
Since new the cars had standard services, belts, a coil pack, lambda, new Oe front suspension, track rods, ball joints, cv boots, all the expected tyres disks and brakes, washer pumps, exhaust... That's it..

Brakes pads are ds2500 and brembo, tyres are Michelins, Cheaps a bad idea..

Exhaust is a scorpion because it was cheaper..

From the first mile to the 65,000th this cars been great, well maintained, reliable and cheap. There's never been a need to pi55 money away, ill leave that to everyone else..

If I was to go out and replace it with another 182 tomorrow, I'd want OE again..

I guess that's the point I was making though : because these are now cheap cars, a lot of them will have been run on a shoestring budget : to my mind replacing all of the above is common sense, and will be needed after a set amount of time.. Most of what I want to do are essentially service items; no point in going silly looking for power / lap times.. - its a road to ruin!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Exactly what ive done to it, ive had enough of them to know what is worth doing and what isn't without having to spend the earth. Obviously there are still things I want to do, but need more funds!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
A change of wheels, exhaust and suspension is the bare minimum when it comes to a new car for me! I think I made good choices, all still doing me well :)

I probably wouldn't have bothered with most of my interior stuff though if I were doing it again, and concentrate on getting a new bonnet and spoiler.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Take mods money
Spend it on track days and fuel.

More fun in an afternoon on a track than months of dragging your sump over speedbumps and watching out for speedguns around every corner.

But that's just sensible talking, clearly what you should do is piss thousands away on go-faster bits that will make all the placebo effect in the world.

I would do exactly this. Nothing at all.

I ruined my 172 Cup by being obsessed with making in a leaner meaner track machine. What I should have done is a load more trackdays in it and just enjoyed it for what it was, a very capable car straight out of the box.

Tyres with a stiff sidewall like the Michelin pe2 that all 182 came with.
As soon as i changed to a different brand the car never felt the same the turn in was ruined.

An orange one
I've not regretted any of my mods, seats, intake and exhaust.. So would do the exact same again.

Slightly sceptical of of my latest purchase though, a box of 4 very shiny yellow and purple things, but heard nothing but positive comments on them so let's hope! :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm slowly redoing everything on the cup that I had on my 182.
  • rear arb
  • braided lines
  • rc5+ front pads and brembo HC front discs
  • polybush dogbone
  • decent exhaust with decat
  • solid engine mount
  • EPAS
  • decent air filter set up
  • yanoo stiff shift
  • spacers
  • lowered on something
  • ttv flywheel
  • 98ron map
That was a really really nice car to drive and went very well. All suspension consumables were refreshed before.

Volvo S60 T5
I'm going with springs , exhaust , induction kit and alloys once I get mine up and running.
Hopefully all used parts as well. Spunked thousands on my old flamer no way I'm doing that again.

Ph 1 172
Well I have started all over again...
I did the following mods too my phase 1
Ktec style Induction kit
coilovers
Remap
stupid loud exhaust
front splitter
rear phase 2 lights and bump strips
painted wing mirrors badges and all sorts.
removed rear seats and everything else...

Now I realise I have ruined a cheap Renault so now it rattles more than it should do. Im slowly going back to standard just need the rear lights changed back and standard phase 1 airbox back on. Just buy decent tyres and keep it ruining sweet is what I would do if I started again.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be the coilovers that have ruined it, I bet if you went to cup dampers and Eibach springs most of the rattles would go away.