ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Petrol vs Diesel

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Gettin rid of my 1.5dci, been to see a Pug206hdi today, but laughed when they only offered 1900 part ex for mine!!! Holdcrofts in Hanley got a 1.2 16v Extreme, bit optimistic on whether to go back to Petrol tho, as i do 33 miles a day to work. Plus side is though they don't mind swapping my 182 grille onto a new Clio for me. I'm thinking with the petrol there's much more I can do modding wise, i'm just :S Defo gonna get a new Clio, just dont know what to do :( Suppose if i ran the petrol on BP ultimate it'd do more to the gallon though LOL

i'd say the dci is more moddable than a 1.2 petrol tbh.

would stick with diesel unless taking a step up in performance

Meg on pistonheads £6995
buy my sensibly modded dCi 80 - it will beat a mini cooper (seriously)

sub 10 0-60, 120+ mph, 65mpg

Custom Re-map by Superchips (110bhp and 180lb/ft), 40mm drop, 17's

ONLY looking for £4K and it is MINT MINT MINT

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
stick withthe derv, the petrol gets about 15mpg less, its more tax and its more expensive to insure( A little bit more but its still more)

serioysl the very most you'll get out of a 1.2 spending alot of money is under 90bhp. a dci remapped is over 100bhp and still getting more mpg.

also running 97 ron in a 1.2 is false economy, it probably got more of a placebo effect than making the engine any smoother.

go a higher hp derv, i think the 80 is the choice, but good luck finding a goodin.

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
im on 103k, small niggles going wrong with it now like shocks, etc, plus its still needing a cam belt change haha

shocks are a consumable item and you could buy a car that needs new shocks within 6 months. Get it serviced, replace the shocks and it should be good for a while imo.

On that mileage its not going to be worth much. If you really want to change though, you could buy my diesel GP ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dont go from a dci to a 1.2 16v! your mapped dci probably has more torque than my 172 and when i go from the 172 to my 1.2 16v when the 172s off the road the lack of torque kills me!

Toque ftw! Was told by the passenger in a hybrid recently that they were struggling to keep up with me in ickle diesel :D

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
tbh a diesel with 103k on the clock, the engine is only just run in :)

the engine will outlast the chassis, so on that basis swappin because of the mileage is a no go.

I'd stick with the diesel, cheaper all round, will be tax exempt in a couple of years. wait a year or two and these little diesels will be worth more than u paid for it lol

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Getting the cam done end of the month now, and yeah from what I know it's still on its first cam, time bomb I know, just been trying to get somewhere with the right price,etc. Decided to keep her now, mate of my dad's is doin the cam, but gonna replace front bearings, etc give her a bit of an overhaul, might even paint the calipers while its sittin in the garage. The 1.2 i saw compared to mine engine wise...the bonnet looked empty!!! Don't like where the oil filter is hidden either, not as easy to get at like mine!

1.5DCi 80 Dynamique
I've got a dCi 80, it returns over 70mpg when I want it to, that's over 700 miles from a £52 fill up. It goes like stink for a diesel and surprises many a bigger car and more than enough smaller hot hatches to keep me in front, well happy and the other driver rubber necking at the side badges.

I taxed it at the end of last month: £35

Clio MK III Dci 106
I would never go back to petrol. I've been driving diesels for nearly 10 years now. I've had 3 clio diesels in the last 3 years.

2 x Mk 2 DCI 65
1 x MK3 DCI 106

The MK2 were a flexible little car. 70mpg, 35 road tax, £250 insurance.
My MK3 is a very comfortable car, had a few problems, but everything is fine now. Still not getting great mpg, but its only done 11,000 miles. Down side-£120 road tax, but next year £90.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Every time i hear people "modding" 1200cc or 1.5 dci's i always think whats the point.

Theres no substitute for cubic capacity...

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
I think the Dci actually provides quite alot of tuning potential. A well tuned version would be an absolutely brilliant compromise between useable everday performance and low running costs.
My 182 Cup just sits at 80 on the dual carriageway for 90 miles a day - maybe i should go for a Dci lol!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
wait how come the 106hp clio mk3 had £120 a year tax, when the 106hp megane is only £35??