ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio photoshoot

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Decided to do a little photoshoot of the clio today and test out my studio lights on location for the first proper time. The sun made things a little difficult as it was really harsh especially on the left hand side of the pics but i think i did an ok job of balancing out the exposure with the flash. Havent washed the car in ages so sorry about the dirt

6-22.jpg

4-29.jpg

2-40.jpg

3-37.jpg

7-20.jpg

5-28.jpg

cheers
James

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Just a canon 10d buddy, can pick them up for peanuts these days, ive had mine 4 years and still not upgraded yet.

Shot with 2 x canon 420ex speedlights with wireless triggers on studio stands.

thanks guys

1.2 Dynamique billabong
thanks for all the comments guys (r_dizzel yeah if you want mate)

i had a little play on Photoshop lol :)

mag2finalweb.jpg

Hi James,

Pretty good for a first attempt. Before I get onto the lighting, watch your compositions. Try to avoid placing the car in the dead centre of the frame, remember the rule of thirds :)

To be fair, you didnt have the easiest of the conditions with the sun that bright, that's where you have to get more powerful flashes to try and overcome the sun (which I still struggle to do!)

Any more questions please feel free to ask!

Oh, and another thing.....do you shoot with a polarising filter? If you want to get more into car photography, it is ESSENTIAL! If you set it up right, it would have got rid of the reflections on the windscreen and bonnet in the second shot (example)

Hope some of that helps :)

As for the lighting, for example on the first shot, the lighting on the front of the car is good, but the side is overexposed.

What mode did you shoot in? If you shot in manual, crank the shutter speed up to reduce the amount of ambient light, then you adjust the aperture to control the flashes.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
As for the lighting, for example on the first shot, the lighting on the front of the car is good, but the side is overexposed.

thanks buddy thats great, the left side is natural sunlight which was really harsh, i then had a light on the front of the car and one the futher round near the passenger headlight.

good call about the polarizing filter i have actually got one so should have thought to use it. I shot the pics in RAW so could probably re edit them to bring some of the detail back in the the left handside. or i probably should have moved the car somewhere else.

cheers for the comments mate,
James

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks almost photoshopped onto the background for me? Not sure if anyone else thinks that?

Look good, just almost a bit unreal?

ibiza cupra
great pics mate, would love to get into a bit of photography but just dont have the time or the funds to do it.

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
Car looks almost photoshopped onto the background for me? Not sure if anyone else thinks that?

Look good, just almost a bit unreal?

Yeah, I thought that too. The lighting is probably all wierd or something. Still, the car looks good, and I like the location.

Clio RS 197
Really nice pics mate. Your clio looks really nice to.
:cool::D
How much are normal clio front splitters normally like the one you have got on your clio at the front mate? I know the carbon fibre ones are around £110 from Ktec Racing, I wouldn't want to pay that much for one. :dead:

R26
Really nice pics mate. Your clio looks really nice to.
:cool::D
How much are normal clio front splitters normally like the one you have got on your clio at the front mate? I know the carbon fibre ones are around £110 from Ktec Racing, I wouldn't want to pay that much for one. :dead:

To me it looks like the Megane one, which you can get from your local scrapyard :)

Clio RS 197
To me it looks like the Megane one, which you can get from your local scrapyard :)

Hi Mate. Cheers for the quick responce. The only reason why I ask is because I have seen this clio 172 cup lowered 60mm and it looks really nice, and I was thinking of doing the same when I get my clio 172 cup. The only thing is as nice as the carbon fibre splitter looks it's 1. alot of money to pay and 2. If I chip or damage a carbon fibre one going over a speed bump or ramp when I have lowered it 60mm I will be gutted. Where as if I put a standard one on which you said can get from a scrappy, if one day I did damage it doing the same thing at least It's not tht bigger problem and can get another one easy. You understand wt i'm saying? lol

Many thanks for getting back to me dude. :cool:

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yeah its a meggy splitter mate, they are really flexible too so if you do hit anything they bend rather than shatter. also my car is a replica not a 182 unfortunately :), which means lowering yours 60mm may make it lower than mine as mine was higher to start with

Clio RS 197
yeah its a meggy splitter mate, they are really flexible too so if you do hit anything they bend rather than shatter. also my car is a replica not a 182 unfortunately :), which means lowering yours 60mm may make it lower than mine as mine was higher to start with

ok I shall keep the megan splitter in mind mate and once I gt my 172 cup I shall consider purchasing one. Are they easy to fit mate? I really like your car mate, you wouldn't think it's not a 182, I thought it was a 182 at first until you told me. The only thing that I noticed that may of not been a 182 is the non xenon headlamps but other than tht it looks sweet bud. :cool: Like the decals and colour, both go well and them pics look really nice to. How low is your car? Or is it standard ride height but with 17"s on?

I wouldn't mind doin a photoshoot when I get my clio finished and bought first. lol

Many thanks once again for your help dude. ;)

Chris

1.2 Dynamique billabong
no worries mate, yeah its pretty easy to fit but easier with two people if you havent already got the bumper off ( mine was off from being painted but it can be fitted whilst on the car), its simply a case of offering it up to the car, drill in a load of screw with washer on holding the splitter to the bottom of the bumper. then finally trim the ends of the splitter to match the line of the bumper as it is a bit longer than you need.

and my car is down 50mm on 17s, without the lowering it would look like a tractor on 17's lol

James

Clio RS 197
Ok mate I shall keep your instructions and advice in mind when I come around to getting splitter put onto it. Is it hard to trip like it so it's equal? What would you say is easiest taking bumper off and fitting it or leave bumper on car and fitting it?

Your colour car looks nice and really nice alloys to mate. :cool:

1.2 Dynamique billabong
its definately easier to leave the bumper on mate athough you might want to jack up the car to give you some more space to work. also if you start with putting a screw in the middle and working out then it should keep the splitter equal. then just trim the inch off each end.

A silver Honda
Cool pics mate, love the location.

What do you use to hold up you speedlights? I need some stands badly...

106 GTI
Few of the shots feel like the car is sloping away, perhaps try positioning the car slightly different to give it a more level feel?

A silver Honda
^^cheers Jim. I've got those Blazzeo triggers after you suggested them before. Just need a decent stand and holder for the transmitter so i don't break my SB-800 lol. Gonna order some umbrellas too me thinks.