ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Renaultsport 182 details

53 plate 172

Im surprise3d somebody hasnt asked the most important Q of all..............

Do you still get a FREE totally useless boot net !??!?! ;)

Haha. All it means is that when you buy one you will have even less tuning options available, because Renault have already done the basics (improved breathing and ripping the spare out). I just cannot see the point of this car except as a gimmick to challenge for horse power figures.

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 04 November 2003

Haha. All it means is that when you buy one you will have even less tuning options available, because Renault have already done the basics (improved breathing and ripping the spare out). I just cannot see the point of this car except as a gimmick to challenge for horse power figures.
We all already know that bhp sells. Its clearly about sales, but it adds a bit more variety to the range, which can only be good. Plenty more second hand fast Clios secured for the future.

Also if the breathing mods are already done, itll save the hassle and cost of getting it done yourself. I wouldnt sell my mk1 to get one, theres just no point. But I bet in the future Ill want a cheap 2nd hand hot hatch and a 182 might just be the way to go...!

Sounds great, basically a Cup with all the toys / leather etc and extra power to overcome the extra weight. :D . Shame no-one wants my Cup otherwise I would consider it!!

Not saying my drivings cr*p, but will it have ABS and ESP?

+ is Inferno that plastic orangey colour or something more flame reddish?

Jeremy - cheers for the info.

sounds good to me - like the new colour of the "cup" wheels. dont like the mini-esque exhaust. more power is always good!!!!!

cheers for keeping us updated.

I think I will wait until they produce a 2.0 Turbo before I make the jump from the Cup. Im sure its on the cards. A Clio 225 and Cup 225, that would be nice. Massive tunning pertential.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Can Jeremy confirm or deny that there is likely to be a turbod Clio when the new model is launched???

Think thats the one for me...

320d M Sport

that orange colour is dead nice, im glad theyre bunging it on a clio.

ooh, the excitement....... :D i hope reno can be crowned Number 1 again as theyve been getting a bit pasted in magazine tests lately...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 05 November 2003

Can Jeremy confirm or deny that there is likely to be a turbod Clio when the new model is launched???

Think thats the one for me...
2005/6 one will be a turbo, thats 90%

320d M Sport

by then theyll be some really good 2nd motors available for similar money, Im talking about real cars.....

thats gonna by the problem for manufacturers in future, £15K for a new hot hatch or £15K for a 2nd supercar.....

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 05 November 2003

by then theyll be some really good 2nd motors available for similar money, Im talking about real cars.....

thats gonna by the problem for manufacturers in future, £15K for a new hot hatch or £15K for a 2nd supercar.....
But were in the exact same boat here though...

For £14600 (last price of new 172) or less, you can get all manner of seriously tasty second-hand motors hence why I was so indecicisve when getting my Cup.

Just go get an Evo or an STi Impreza for that money or less if you want, but then dont forget the cost of keeping the thing on the road! Stuff like insurance, servicing, tyres, fuel, etc... are a LOT more for these kind of cars.

Just as all was becoming clear...

This weeks Auto Express contains an article about the 182 that says there will be TWO versions joining the 2004 range -

a light-weight CUP and a luxurious RENAULTSPORT

Whats that all about??

Maybe a new version of the CUP too. Probably with the performance upgrades as standard but without the luxuries?

Quote: Originally posted by cupdriver on 05 November 2003

I think I will wait until they produce a 2.0 Turbo before I make the jump from the Cup. Im sure its on the cards. A Clio 225 and Cup 225, that would be nice. Massive tunning pertential.
I may be wrong but i doubt Renault would make a car the weight of the 172 with 225 BHP. Nobody would buy it because the insurance cost would be astronomical. Bearing in mind a cup does 0-60 in 6.5 secs. With 225 BHP your looking at silly times and alot of dead people. If they made 225 BHP theyd have to add alot of weight to slow the car down. A pulsar has 220 BHP but weighs 1400 kg. 225 in c 172 would be a death machine. Youd be changing front tyres every 10 miles aswell

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

also with 225bhp the car would be dangerous.

200bhp is about the limit for that class imho

(sorry roamer, but i think you get what i mean)

Just in case anyone wants to know, the ABI have allocated an insurance grouping to the 182 - itll be the same as the Cup/172.

Oh good, the insurance companies wont penalise any "172" owners if they upgrade theirs to "180" hp ;) Yeah right.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Matt_E on 06 November 2003

Just in case anyone wants to know, the ABI have allocated an insurance grouping to the 182 - itll be the same as the Cup/172.
The Cup is more to insure than the 172 though, I got quotes for both!

Same when I had my 306 Rallye, that was more than a GTi-6

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 07 November 2003

Can I just mention that the pics of the blue 182 look very badly photoshopped?
They probably are...

I got a pic of a silver Cup ages ago and it was blatently photoshopped!