ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Renaultsport 197 finally announced...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think the technical spec of the 197 looks pretty good, they just loaded it down with all that crap that doesn't add to the 'drive' and bogs it down...

If it goes on a diet now, it might be light enough to call itself a proper Cup when they finally release it in 18 months or so.

Orange 182
agree totally gazcaddy ^^

I've just looked at the 'under bonnet' shot in Evo... fook me its disappointing :(

I've just watched the videos and the car does look much nice than in the still photos.

E90
under bonnet pics, excuse me for stating the obvious but if yr car is moving the bonnet is closed, what does it matter what it looks like under there as long as it goes well, and is relaible, bonnet should be lifted to refil the washer bottle and check the oil, not in maccy d's car park on sunday mornings.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
rcp said:
and here's the challenger...

dsc_0118_illustration.jpg

dsc_0119_illustration.jpg

dsc_0123_illustration.jpg

dsc_0124_illustration.jpg

class above though, an d it looks like somthing out of maxpower :dead:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
also just to add i think it looks ok imo, glad they got rid of the tacky chrome, think if you parked it next to a standard new shape, it'll look alot better, abit like a standard mk2 phase 2 172 looks like a dynamique to some people..... but park em together and the differences stand out

think it needs a cup type of spoiler though, but wonder if this upset the rear diffuser/areodynamics? hmmmm????

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
lacks the wow of the 172/182 - hopefully some decent cup options and recaros will be on offer

nimbus grey sounds ok. think white should be added

Clio 172 Mk2
the dash board looks absolutely disgusting, the car itself though looks nice imo, I just hate the dials, and the seats look cheap to

Lots of Alfas
Its better than I expected it to be, however I would only buy one if it came with 15s instead of 17s and had a turbo :cool: .

Orange 182
Dutch 172 said:
under bonnet pics, excuse me for stating the obvious but if yr car is moving the bonnet is closed, what does it matter what it looks like under there as long as it goes well, and is relaible, bonnet should be lifted to refil the washer bottle and check the oil, not in maccy d's car park on sunday mornings.

lol :lolup:

To an extent I agree with what you're saying mate. I personally haven't touched my engine bay on my current 182. However, I think you're ignorant if you have no consideration for what the car you buy looks like under bonnet (esp when buying a sportier model). Plenty of ppl will agree with this otherwise we wouldn't see so many sprayed engine covers and polished inlet manifolds. The standard 182 engine is quite pleasing to the eye and I was merely saying that the 197's looks like something I'd expect to find under a family diesel estate ;)

Anyway I'm off to Maccy d's now to show everyone the new LEDs i've fitted to my washer bottle lid :p

E90
Plenty of people will agree cos CS is full of geeks, who spend more time polishing and spraying there cars than driving em, lol ;)

Orange 182
hehe i'd defo class myself as a 'CS geek', but i'm certainly far more enthusiastic about driving than I am about cleaning / modding :)

Lets face it tho, if we were all only bothered about the thrill of driving with no consideration for cosmetics, we defo wouldn't be driving clios anyway...

Orange 182
initial impression of the type-r was wow thats nice!... but the more i look at it the less i like it. Its too over the top by far...

Audi TT 225
dont like it, would go for a megan 225 over that....

just looked at the 0-60.... 6.9 so its on par with the mk2 cup even though its got all those extra bhp..... whats the point lol

Inlet looks nice, wonder if it will fit the mk2 :D

Iceberg 172
Don't like it! Why why WHY are car manufacturers nowadays always taking an instantly recognisable and distinct car shape and blend it into a hybrid mish mash of everything else on the market? I have always driven french cars and part of the reason is something always stood out about the look, Pug 205, Saxo, Clio. Now that all the manufacturers seem to be merging/collaborating, the sportier looking car models are looking less and less desirable.....grrrrr.......

That said.....................i'll still be going to Renault to check it out in the flesh!

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok, i really am stuck for my next car now, do i go and order one of these, go for a ST, wait for the New Civic Type R or go for a second hand Clio V6, what a dilemna

Megane Mk4
Well I for one won't be handing over my dear little 182 just yet and, tbh...
Because of the letdown with the new RS clio 197, my next car won't be a Renault. It looks cheap inside, no leather seats, (isn't even an option) too heavy, bigger,fatter and top end slower than it's little 'puppy dog' 182 predecessor..

And to top it all off.... It looks Foooooookin UGLY!

I wouldn't even to go france to find cutey 'nicole' and shag her on the back seat with her nice 'papa' sat watching! ;)

Andi

dk

911 GTS Cab
we all know that this being the first incarnation of the car it was never going to get the same spec or options as we will after 1 year.

Really though, we don't know what the UK options will be as those of the french options and when the 182 literature was first released, it also said you could have heated seats and a sunroof, they were never an option over here though, and then the trophy was available here and not france so i wouldn't get too caught up until the options are officially announced guys.

The top speed thing, ok, how many times in the UK have you ever reached 140 mph (without sh1tting yourself after 2 sec that a) you will crash or b) will get caught and lose your license!). You can't hit 140 mph on a track and only really can on an autobahn (only place mine have ever reached 140 was on the continent) so is it really that important apart from the mines faster than yours argument???????

i really like it...

Very condsidering getting one in a year or two...

My current choices are:

MK4 Astra GSi
MK5 Astra SRi
MK3 Clio RS
Civic type R (Current but Not new Shape)

my problem is that im not to sure i want another smallish car....

BMW Touring
Hi Guys, I came here looking for your views on the Clio III RS and just thought I'd register and put my 2p worth into this mix - it seems you are all very negative about the Clio III RS.

As for the new car not being hard enough out the box, do you not think the unique (in Clio 3) double-axis front suspension, the rear anti roll bar, the polyurethane bump stops and not forgetting the 312mm cross drilled discs with Brembo 4-pot calipers are hard enough? Even the dodgy 'brake assist' off lesser Clio III's has been removed.

As for posters commenting the car looks like all the other small hatches out at the moment, you have to remember the Clio II is nearly a 10 year old design, it's time to move on.

As for the car not having all the goodies we like - thats due to the information being based on the French market car, on the continent they are given much lower specs, look at the Clio II RS, that didn't have Xenons etc as standard over there. I presume these will be standard when we get a Renault UK press release.

Just one thing I am not looking forward to, the ludicrous discounting that Renault managed with the last model, when you could get UK Clio 2 RS models for over 3k off list, this seriously devalued residuals. If you take your 2 year old Clio 2 RS to the Renault Stealer he wont even give you 8 grand for it. Whereas the Honda dealer who didn't discount the CTR will still give over 13 grand. Renault needs to stop the discounting on its flagship models, I can get a UK supplied 2006 Megane Cup for £4600 off list, whereas you'll be lucky to get £200 off the Cooper S or £400 off the 206 GTi and thats nearly as old as the Clio 2!

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by my ramblings I don't mean any offence, I am hoping when I get my Clio III RS, you'll be warm and friendly - I'm off now to go and see if I can put a deposit down today :D

Cheers

Courtster

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
It is growing on me but as i've only just bought my new 182 i'll be hanging on to that for a good couple of years yet but if i was tempted by the new RS 197 i'd wait until the cup version came out. Be interesting to see what people pay for the first few months on the new RS 197. Anyone on here definately ordering one in late march??
John

The Tube
I think a lot of people are missing the point. Renault aren't intentionally making the new Clio RS III bigger and heavier to p*ss everyone off, they have to take account of stricter EU regulations regarding crash safety, Euro NCAP etc. Which is going to make the car bigger (crumple zones) and heavier. Boring I know, but a lot of manufacturers are having the same problem.
At the end of the day, Renault are in the market for making the safest and most popular hatchback, not the fastest hot hatch. I'm sure in a years time, limited 'lightweight' cup edition 197's will be on the market and everyone will be raving about them. Renault haven't disappointed yet....

106 GTi
courtster said:
Hi Guys, I came here looking for your views on the Clio III RS and just thought I'd register and put my 2p worth into this mix - it seems you are all very negative about the Clio III RS.

As for the new car not being hard enough out the box, do you not think the unique (in Clio 3) double-axis front suspension, the rear anti roll bar, the polyurethane bump stops and not forgetting the 312mm cross drilled discs with Brembo 4-pot calipers are hard enough? Even the dodgy 'brake assist' off lesser Clio III's has been removed.

As for posters commenting the car looks like all the other small hatches out at the moment, you have to remember the Clio II is nearly a 10 year old design, it's time to move on.

As for the car not having all the goodies we like - thats due to the information being based on the French market car, on the continent they are given much lower specs, look at the Clio II RS, that didn't have Xenons etc as standard over there. I presume these will be standard when we get a Renault UK press release.

Just one thing I am not looking forward to, the ludicrous discounting that Renault managed with the last model, when you could get UK Clio 2 RS models for over 3k off list, this seriously devalued residuals. If you take your 2 year old Clio 2 RS to the Renault Stealer he wont even give you 8 grand for it. Whereas the Honda dealer who didn't discount the CTR will still give over 13 grand. Renault needs to stop the discounting on its flagship models, I can get a UK supplied 2006 Megane Cup for £4600 off list, whereas you'll be lucky to get £200 off the Cooper S or £400 off the 206 GTi and thats nearly as old as the Clio 2!

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by my ramblings I don't mean any offence, I am hoping when I get my Clio III RS, you'll be warm and friendly - I'm off now to go and see if I can put a deposit down today :D

Cheers

Courtster

Welcome to CS, peoples reactions so far I really are only based on looks. Until we hae all driven it no one can really make any judgements on what really maters. I know I wont commit either way till I have.

Options wise, its a shame that the model is going to be priced/sold like the Megane is - with all the nice bits as add on options, rather than getting a full loaded well speced car anyway as the full fat 182 was. That was one of the appeals that it came full loaded.

As for pricing I hope that deals can be done as they where on the 182 though.

Let us all know how it goes when you put the order in. I am looking forward to the seeing the UK options/specs and pricing, hopefully there will be a leather option and they review the colour options though!

dk

911 GTS Cab
courtster said:

Cheers

Courtster
Welcome to Cliosport, some very valid and interesting points made there for which i agree mostly.

The RS model never had the Renault Brake assist though so that really isn't being dropped and you mention residual values, they are all relative at the end of the day, you may get 13k for a CTR but it cost you 17-18k in the first place so are losing 5k and the 182 cost most people 11-12k so by getting 8k for it are only really losing 3-4k. You pay more for a CTR, get charged 1k for aircon, get no discount, and end up getting a duff deal on tradein, a friend of mine traded in a 6 month old ctr a few months agi and got 12.5k for it, lost LOADS of money on it!!!!

I doubt there will be a leather option at first and a disappointed we have to pay for the start button and keyless startup but atleast we still get CC as standard, oh and the other one i don't like is having to pay for the xenons!!!!!!

I am looking forward to seeing them in the two blues though, i think the range of colours is good, its the same as its always been, a few decent colours with no duff ones, never been a poor coloured RS!

E90
dave182 said:
ok, i really am stuck for my next car now, do i go and order one of these, go for a ST, wait for the New Civic Type R or go for a second hand Clio V6, what a dilemna
Get a Golf Gti with DSG you gay, you know it makes sense.

The Tube
That looks lovely in racing blue with the darker rims....

If they'd used that colour when they launched the car I think they would have got a much better reponse!

I Have To Agree With Most Of You.how Can They Make The 182'sthen Come Up With This.was Looking Forward To This Being Released But Its A Bit Of A Dissappiontment To Be Honest.lets Hope They Improve With A New Cup Or Trophy Model.