ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 182 new to Renault and Clios need help please

FF 182
Hi guys as I am new to Renault and always had a barry corsa and wanted a big boys car I havent a scooby what to look out for when buying one.
I have recently test drove a 182 and signed over the documents and waiting on collection of the car, but when I was test driving a SERVICE LIGHT and what appeared to be the TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT (a car with two squiggles under it), I did as the guy what it was but he said he didnt know, he said the service light is the service light and he was unsure of the other one, but since I left the car I have been doing some home work to try and find out what issues this may be, I do have warranty with it and he said they will get it sorted before the car goes out but you know what car sales are like.

I was wondering if anyone actually knew what the cause of it is a maybe a solution if they have not actually sorted it!
I hope some one can help and this was not too long winded. Just trying to give best description as possible.
cheers guys, mickel

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
and you still bought it? lol

service light on these cars dont come on when they need a service like the newer clios do and other manufacturers, they come on when the car has a fault. really needs plugged into diagnostics to find out whats causing it

FF 182
I have not brought it yet no, and even if I did it has warranty so not that fussed wont come out of my pocket : )
and no Lordman neither of the two fired up straight away, runs smooth, pulls nicely, I have looked around and there have been a few people with this issue and it seems to be a quick fix with the break sensor, either needs replacing or moving so the break pedal will touch the sensor sooner, makes sense as it came on when I was approaching the round-about braking also there was a suggestion of the abs sensor does feel like it has new brake discs on it though, I went and had look this evening, What do you reckon Lordman, any previous encounters with it your self or know of ,

RenaultSport 182FF
I have not brought it yet no, and even if I did it has warranty so not that fussed wont come out of my pocket : )
and no Lordman neither of the two fired up straight away, runs smooth, pulls nicely, I have looked around and there have been a few people with this issue and it seems to be a quick fix with the break sensor, either needs replacing or moving so the break pedal will touch the sensor sooner, makes sense as it came on when I was approaching the round-about braking also there was a suggestion of the abs sensor does feel like it has new brake discs on it though, I went and had look this evening, What do you reckon Lordman, any previous encounters with it your self or know of ,

Most common buddy would be the accelerator sensor, which involves just replacing the accelerator pedal + sensor, which is usually sold as one product. Your best bet would be to try and get one from a scrapyard.... Much cheapness!!!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/RENAULT-CLIO-ACCELERATOR-PEDAL-SENSOR-/18/!B+fw,PQCGk~$(KGrHqIOKnMEz4Ohhmi5BM+1fP5tkw~~_35.J PG

Failure upon that I have known the crank sensor to cause this problem just as much as the accelerator sensor.... If it does limit itself it will usually do it around 60 mph from memory.

I'm guessing you don't have a diagnostics tool ? Obviously then you would be able to identify it without the gamble of buying another part that doesn't need to be replaced. Unless you know someone that can get it diagnosed for you ?

But those two are the most common! ;)

Hope that helped :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Forgot to mention, before you try all of this if you can verify you don't experience any of the problems and just get the light on the dash, to be fair you have nothing to loose, it might be worth just disconnecting the battery from the car for 30 mins or so to see if this clears out the error. (Bearing in mind you will need to have your radio code to hand)

If this doesn't clear it and you confirm that there is nothing wrong then you can get the fault cleared by a renault garage, it could be nothing and its just an error in the cpu.

Again another one would be checking and cleaning the heads of the culprit connectors to make sure all is intact... even checking the fuses,

Not experienced anything with brakes myself on that one, but a diagnostics tool is worth getting just to identify the problem and get the problem identified quickly, you can pick them up for like £10.... I could be sending you up the wrong garden path......... but again they are the common ones to look out for :)

Last edited:
  FF 182
mate you have been more than help, cheers for all that bud, I will have to have a look if the problem has not gone by the time I get the car, way I look at it , the garage I get it from will have to look at all this and I wont pay a penny : ) but all is good to know, with the diagnostics where can I pick it up from andwhere can I find the ecu? I have only ever had corsa b's lol. you had many problems with your Clio? speak ya soon bud

FF 182
just to add to that I think it could well be a sensor near the ABS, just trying to throw all possibilities out there. I went and had a once over at the car on my way home from work, felt the front and rear discs the front ones feel brand new (no lips, run my finger off smooth) the rears have a bit of a lip on them so my guess would be the front discs and pads have been done and a sensor has come off or is lose some where, bloody electrics. lol

RenaultSport 182FF
mate you have been more than help, cheers for all that bud, I will have to have a look if the problem has not gone by the time I get the car, way I look at it , the garage I get it from will have to look at all this and I wont pay a penny : ) but all is good to know, with the diagnostics where can I pick it up from and where can I find the ecu? I have only ever had corsa b's lol. you had many problems with your Clio? speak ya soon bud

No worries :), ohh well in that case then your fine in cost aspects.
My apologies for the slapped together response was trying to do many things at once, which clearly shows :p

It would be a universal tool that most people use and usually cost around £15, bearing in mind because of the price you do tend to get basic ones with a single line display for that type of money, Obviously pay a little more and you get ones with bigger displays.

I would recommend a bigger display on one anyway less hassle for you. (Put some examples below as couldn’t find my exact one as it is a few years old)

Basic Single Line screen Diag tool:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC310-OBD...ic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2324609bbc&_uhb=1

More intuitive larger display:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-EOBD-...ic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3cc1ab03ac&_uhb=1

Just search ‘Universal diagnostic tool’ in on eBay to get a broader list.
Make sure on the diag tool you get a compatible connector, the connector I believe you will need on the end will be ‘OBD II’ This is fairly common universal connector but in this case is used in Renaults.

You won’t physically need to get to the ecu, just the connector upon which you connect a diag tool or a CLIP (Basically what Renault program it with) his is located underneath the ashtray that just pulls up.

Must admit not really a Vauxhall fan, dad used to work for General Motors so had Vauxhalls swapped on 2 months regular basis and got really bored of them…. Once you’ve been in one you have been in them all ;)

Although because Vauxhall isn’t French I wouldn’t imagine you get may electrical problems, only mechanical.

I’ve had a couple of Clio’s, sport and non sport, to be honest mechanically you will never get anything wrong with a Clio, they are very reliable from that aspect (bar head gasket failure this is something very common for Clio’s owners to have experienced at least once ;)

However on the exact opposite to Vauxhall I’m not going to lie to you, with French cars you will experience your fair share of electrical problems… however It’s hard to find something for this amount of money that gives you this amount of fun. Coming from personal experience the Clio sports are tons more fun than the opposition i.e. VXR Corsa’s. On a fun scale the closest thing I could resemble the Clio sport to would be a Subaru Imprezza (my personal opinion).

Not anything to report on mine so far as I’m still bobbing around in my 1.2 a lot, so only been out a few times in the 182 :)

FF 182
lol the only response I have got lol, better a slapped up one then no response lol, : ) just by looking at the larger display you can see it's more of a better quality product. does it have any screws or anything, or will it literally just lift up, I have literally always owed a corsa sport so this is all new lol its like one small step for man one giant leap for man kind in my case lol . yeah I 100% agree on that, I was looking at the VXR'S both Corsa and Astra and I just keep saying to my self it's an Astra or Corsa with a triangle exhaust lol. So kind of gone off em now and always fancied a 182. theres quite few young lads going round my town with the 1.0 and up Clios thought be nice to separate the boys from the girls with me 182 lol. Yeah have heard they have loose wires here and there me mate put a single filament bulb in his being there double filament (correct me if I am wrong lol ) every time he pressed the brake his dashboard lights dimmed lol. ahh brilliant I hope I dont experience it any time soon would be gutted lol, again all under warranty though , checked that one out as long as I have sufficient oil in it lol, do they tend to drink oil at all the sports loved it I would have to top it up like once every other month or something.
yeah good ol Jeremy Clarkson said that when he reviewed them, in regards to that though I have been having a look and most people have the electrical faults and post a video on YouTube on how to fix it usually a wiggle lol. are they really that good to drive!! I see Corsa VXR a stereo chavvy young lads car to be fair, I wanted to be different and the Clio has everything the VXR has but... for half the price. I am looking forward to getting it Saturday must admit so comfy to sit in as well Vauxhall always hurt me back sitting in them. have you a 182 as well as a 1.2 then or just the 1.2 atm, thought you had a 182 lol, sorry for my really long reply and me life story lol good to actually get a response on here from someone with some positive feedback , Ill try and get a pic up of me car so you can see it , Dunno if I can do it on a non premium account though. will have look , speak ya soon bud.

RenaultSport 182FF
First thing Im going to say before becoming a member .... Paragraphs,

The console will just lift out buddy, just never use the front cup holders, they fit nothing and when you go round a corner (if you have a drink) the drink will go through the ash tray, and guess what is below the ashtray.... A MAJORITY OF THE ELECTRICS :D (Mostly all airbag related, so dont put any thing in them ;))

Its not that VXR's are rubbish, because they aren't, but vauxhall are way out of their depth for my liking, their cars are in the price braket of the german market.... I don't know how they havent gone under, but then General Motors laid off saab so I suppose their aren't as many running costs.. but how long is that going to last.

"Yeah have heard they have loose wires here and there me mate put a single filament bulb in his being there double filament" - Sorry mate which bit were you referring to ?

You will understand this is a French thing, well probably a renault thing to be fair every car is different with Renault... Its luck, some drink sh*t loads of oil others dont, my 1.2 drinks oil like anything, give it 3 months (give or take) and you will need to fill it back up to max.. others you will find the same year car with the same engine spec and you will only need to attend your yearly swap of oil.

Yeah I have a 182 FF and a 1.2 dynamique :D I just hope my 182 doesn't drink oil :p (I hope that makes sense about the oil)

Yeah they are brilliant fun to drive but to be honest Thats reffering to the CUP suspension on the FF or cup models or the Trophy with Sach dampers :) unsure on the normal models, although who cares you bought an FF ;)

They all are mate its what the owner make of the car :( Corsa's 'can' be chavvy but in all fairness so are Clio's, 106's and Saxo's :)

Have you not driven it yet then ?

Both mine are in this thread buddy - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?664863-Project-69-Clio-182FF

You can do it without a paid subscription but its worth paying to get access the common known fault page ;) discount's from manufacturers and all the little pieces in between. The members really will make you feel welcome :)

FF 182
lol, I did think about that after, I thought this wont be easy to follow lol

lol cheers for the pointer bud, thats officially going to be my coin change holder lol.

I obviously rate them as I have always had them just fancy a change me self, but with that me boss's dad has his own body shop, according to him, Vauxhall havent come far with the whole chasis idea. as apose to Ford there going with the time with saftey rating, well there suppose to lol . for Sabb I always liked them, but I think the main thing they actually have going for them (Vauxhall) and is keeping them in the game is Corsa's lol and the Astras. You dont really see many of the insignias or the posh mans car about other than the business men.

with the bulb bit, was referring to the electrics with then Clios lol or maybe Renault in general, I don't actually know if it is just Clios or the whole company.

Knowing my luck I'm gonna be the one who will have to fill it up at least every 3 months lol , not sure if this whole French thing is a good idea now lol ,

sh*t the bed you must be on some money lol, how long you had your 182 ?

haha I just hope I will never down grade from it now,think I would be well dissapointed, I have had this big build up on it, on how its gonna perform react to the road comfort ect. haha to be fair I never had a clue about FF cup Trophy or what not, it was just pot luck,but have done me home work since and kind of up to scratch with it all a little now.

Yeah I have to agree, what the owner does to it, How they drive it, how they maintain it, and if they have a huge DTM exhaust on a 1.0 corsa .... n0t that I have ever done that or anything:rolleyes: lol

I have driven it once, but being it wasn't my car at the time and that I wasn't really used to the car I didnt really get agreat feel for it , only thing I was not too keen about, was the pedals being so close together, (being French I'm guessing?) and the clutch was a little stiff but have been told that is Renault all over.

I was looking at prices last night £12 for a year I think its really good espech the perks you get with it as well, Going to get that sorted on pay day as you never know with buying parts help ect, seems really good idea.

I'll have a look at yours now mate, got mine up, well one pic the garage took on me profile, lol Not the best picture going lol.

Hope me paragraph have made it a little easier then last time lol.

Speak ya soon bud.

RenaultSport 182FF
lol, I did think about that after, I thought this wont be easy to follow lol

lol cheers for the pointer bud, thats officially going to be my coin change holder lol.

I obviously rate them as I have always had them just fancy a change me self, but with that me boss's dad has his own body shop, according to him, Vauxhall havent come far with the whole chasis idea. as apose to Ford there going with the time with saftey rating, well there suppose to lol . for Sabb I always liked them, but I think the main thing they actually have going for them (Vauxhall) and is keeping them in the game is Corsa's lol and the Astras. You dont really see many of the insignias or the posh mans car about other than the business men.

with the bulb bit, was referring to the electrics with then Clios lol or maybe Renault in general, I don't actually know if it is just Clios or the whole company.

Knowing my luck I'm gonna be the one who will have to fill it up at least every 3 months lol , not sure if this whole French thing is a good idea now lol ,

sh*t the bed you must be on some money lol, how long you had your 182 ?

haha I just hope I will never down grade from it now,think I would be well dissapointed, I have had this big build up on it, on how its gonna perform react to the road comfort ect. haha to be fair I never had a clue about FF cup Trophy or what not, it was just pot luck,but have done me home work since and kind of up to scratch with it all a little now.

Yeah I have to agree, what the owner does to it, How they drive it, how they maintain it, and if they have a huge DTM exhaust on a 1.0 corsa .... n0t that I have ever done that or anything:rolleyes: lol

I have driven it once, but being it wasn't my car at the time and that I wasn't really used to the car I didnt really get agreat feel for it , only thing I was not too keen about, was the pedals being so close together, (being French I'm guessing?) and the clutch was a little stiff but have been told that is Renault all over.

I was looking at prices last night £12 for a year I think its really good espech the perks you get with it as well, Going to get that sorted on pay day as you never know with buying parts help ect, seems really good idea.

I'll have a look at yours now mate, got mine up, well one pic the garage took on me profile, lol Not the best picture going lol.

Hope me paragraph have made it a little easier then last time lol.

Speak ya soon bud.

Better ;)

I tend to use the back cup holders ;) but you can get ones that attach to the vents i believe :)

Yeah he is right, Clarkson loathes them for it :D Saab were the only good thing that GM had

Ahh the bulb bit yeah its a general french thing, not just Renault :D

Had the 182 from the start of october..... you won't be disappointed, dont let some thing like that put you off because they are amazing fun. You don't have to go wild in one to get a smile, it just makes the best noise.
I mean the Cup suspension is hard but not to hard for road use, its a great compromise. Yeah http://www.cliosport.net/content/guides/Renault Sport Clio Guide.pdf will give you the spec difference, Grey alloys, splitter and cup spoiler tell you its a cup :)

Do you know the mileage and whether the belts have been changed at all, if I am quite honest this is the only bummer with them, the belts are the biggest change and cost the earth, but if its all still under warranty you will be fine :)

aha how old are you if you don't mind me asking ?

Its really good mate, an especially CS Saturday :)

I haven't ever really thought about it the clutch and every thing seem fine spacing wise... how ever the clutch in the 182 is very stiff because unlike the other models the other models are hydraulic assisted clutches, where as the 182 has a wire clutch, no electronics just pure wire by.

No worries...