ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy Nurburgring 2013 Write Up

Trophy

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Not sure if it's just me mate but that first link is just coming up with a totally blank page... have tried loading a few times now.

172cup
Hi mate good write up, I spoke to you in the car park on the Saturday - tall Geordie chap! I came back home, immediately starting to look for 172 cups and, needless to say, I have have just bought one. Few Fettles over the winter ready to make its debut at the ring in the spring.

Trophy
Great read and 8:51 is a seriously impressive time!!

As I said I am happy with that time given the conditions on the track, although a clear lap would have been good. The lack of quality driving time available is still a sore point now, but there's always next time....

Hi mate good write up, I spoke to you in the car park on the Saturday - tall Geordie chap! I came back home, immediately starting to look for 172 cups and, needless to say, I have have just bought one. Few Fettles over the winter ready to make its debut at the ring in the spring.

Haha nice one mate, you certainly sounded like you were convincing yourself while we were talking about Clio's.

Maybe of interest to you brisbane956:

http://youtu.be/zMwiIwex2uA

;)

Nice, laps like that are a beautiful dream. All the traffic was at perfect locations and they all moved out of the way sharpish! Taking nothing away from the driving or the car, both are very good

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Nice, laps like that are a beautiful dream. All the traffic was at perfect locations and they all moved out of the way sharpish! Taking nothing away from the driving or the car, both are very good

Thanks. Not had a chance to watch yours fully yet, but I read your full report. That lap was the quietest of the 10 I did there this year. With regards the traffic, I managed to spot it early enough to plan where to be for the overtakes. All it takes is little lifts here and there and your sorted tbh. The only real issue was the bike and exige at karousel. I wasn't sure if they were going to move, or even if they'd seen me so it took my concentration off the driving for enough time that I forgot what gear I was in! Hence the rev, as I thought I was in 4th gear (which is what I'm normally in).
Needs a suspension revision for next years trip and should hopefully have a bit more power.

Trophy
Thanks. Not had a chance to watch yours fully yet, but I read your full report. That lap was the quietest of the 10 I did there this year. With regards the traffic, I managed to spot it early enough to plan where to be for the overtakes. All it takes is little lifts here and there and your sorted tbh. The only real issue was the bike and exige at karousel. I wasn't sure if they were going to move, or even if they'd seen me so it took my concentration off the driving for enough time that I forgot what gear I was in! Hence the rev, as I thought I was in 4th gear (which is what I'm normally in).
Needs a suspension revision for next years trip and should hopefully have a bit more power.

The lap I posted was the fastest we recorded thanks to the GoPro misbehaving (we thought we had a few at safely under 9mins but there was nothing :() but the footage where we weren't held up by traffic is at approx 8:40 pace. I would have killed for a lap like yours earlier in the month! There is no doubt that having a car with less power you become a master at planning overtakes, especially on the Nordschleife. I agree with your comments that accompany the video too regarding the potential BTG time, for my next visit (whenever it is) it will be stiffer for sure. Your seemed quicker than mine, I get the impression that it is very light and you had no passenger, any idea of what it weighs? How many laps have you done?

Nice write up. I saw you go out for laps a few times. I was there from 3rd-6th.

Some great photos you have there too, especially the air one. You were obviously pushing on much much harder than I was. How did you find the grip with the tyres??

How many laps did you do over the long weekend and how many have you done in total now?

Trophy
How did you find the grip with the tyres??

How many laps did you do over the long weekend and how many have you done in total now?

Grip from the A048s was excellent, they gave great feedback and responded as you would want towards the limit although my cars setup does induce understeer (given more time we would have adjusted toward neutral on the ARB), future trackdays will be done with a stiffer setup. We were pushing reasonably hard but no different to normal...

We did 18-20 laps (we suspect the Lap Ticket 'lost' 2 laps, god knows how!). Have done approx 120 laps in total.

My set-up was far too stiff. Happy back end, so will always make a point of changing the RARB to the softest setting in future for rainy days. My tyres seemed very slippery too!

You managed a good few laps in total then. I think I did about 11.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The lap I posted was the fastest we recorded thanks to the GoPro misbehaving (we thought we had a few at safely under 9mins but there was nothing :() but the footage where we weren't held up by traffic is at approx 8:40 pace. I would have killed for a lap like yours earlier in the month! There is no doubt that having a car with less power you become a master at planning overtakes, especially on the Nordschleife. I agree with your comments that accompany the video too regarding the potential BTG time, for my next visit (whenever it is) it will be stiffer for sure. Your seemed quicker than mine, I get the impression that it is very light and you had no passenger, any idea of what it weighs? How many laps have you done?

I find that dodging your way through the traffic is all part of the fun on tf days. I managed an 8:45 even when it was stupidly busy this year. Lol! Yeah definitely makes you think about your lap when the power just isn't there to help you get back any time you've lost. That car of mine WILL break into the 8:20's next year, maybe a bit quicker even if it's got more hp or it's still the original unit that's in there now. Mine car has the cams timed in to full Grp n timing and I also run a Renault Grp n ecu, which may go some of the way to explaining why it was quicker, but in reality I'd say it's no more than 180hp at the very best. More than likely less. Cars not as light as you'd think either tbh. I'd guestimate it weighs in around 930kg (had the corner weights written down somewhere) as it's fully caged. It was only me in the car as well. I've lost count of how many laps I've done now, but it's safe to say upwards of 350+.

clio 182
i had more fun there in my 182 than on honda fireblade i took there a month earlier, just happy to still be alive after each lap on the bike !

Trophy
I find that dodging your way through the traffic is all part of the fun on tf days. I managed an 8:45 even when it was stupidly busy this year. Lol! Yeah definitely makes you think about your lap when the power just isn't there to help you get back any time you've lost. That car of mine WILL break into the 8:20's next year, maybe a bit quicker even if it's got more hp or it's still the original unit that's in there now. Mine car has the cams timed in to full Grp n timing and I also run a Renault Grp n ecu, which may go some of the way to explaining why it was quicker, but in reality I'd say it's no more than 180hp at the very best. More than likely less. Cars not as light as you'd think either tbh. I'd guestimate it weighs in around 930kg (had the corner weights written down somewhere) as it's fully caged. It was only me in the car as well. I've lost count of how many laps I've done now, but it's safe to say upwards of 350+.

"Not as light as you would think" lol, 930kg is a proper effort mate, I suspect that is the secret behind the superior pace. I like you positive thinking with regards to getting into the 8:20s, that will make a very good video. I'm not familiar with the Grp N tuning, how did you go about getting it done? Slicing through the traffic is fun and it doesn't always mean the end of a good lap but it did on that weekend, there were a stunning amount of people driving looking forward only! But that is the risk you take driving on a tourist day, I may well look into a closed trackday next time, obviously they are more £££ but the trade off with more quality driving (and quality of other drivers) could well be worth it, need to look into it more. 350+, nice.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
"Not as light as you would think" lol, 930kg is a proper effort mate, I suspect that is the secret behind the superior pace. I like you positive thinking with regards to getting into the 8:20s, that will make a very good video. I'm not familiar with the Grp N tuning, how did you go about getting it done? Slicing through the traffic is fun and it doesn't always mean the end of a good lap but it did on that weekend, there were a stunning amount of people driving looking forward only! But that is the risk you take driving on a tourist day, I may well look into a closed trackday next time, obviously they are more £££ but the trade off with more quality driving (and quality of other drivers) could well be worth it, need to look into it more. 350+, nice.

Grp panels are next on the hit list I think (as in boot and doors possibly a bonnet too) as it's the most cost effective way to gain increased performance on these cars. The 8:20's will happen mate without doubt and I'll do it in a tf session as well! Lol! To do it on a full on trackday would, imo, be cheating! The pace is clearly evident in my video I think. The little extra additions on the car also help to make it do what it does properly as well. It's the unseen stuff like the roll centre/bump steer correctors that have a dramatic effect. Grp n timing is advance on the inlet and r****d on the exhaust. Rev limit is set to circa 8k as well. I've got a Grp n timing tool to set the cams in the correct position.
My lap in that video was done on a Sunday when the dtm was on at the gp circuit. Rain was forecast for the day so it kept a lot of people away, which was a real bonus! Yeah there's plenty of t wats that drive the ring unfortunately, but the same can be said for any uk trackday as well. Just a shame you drive circa 500miles to drive with them at the ring! Lol

Trophy
Grp panels are next on the hit list I think (as in boot and doors possibly a bonnet too) as it's the most cost effective way to gain increased performance on these cars. The 8:20's will happen mate without doubt and I'll do it in a tf session as well! Lol! To do it on a full on trackday would, imo, be cheating! The pace is clearly evident in my video I think. The little extra additions on the car also help to make it do what it does properly as well. It's the unseen stuff like the roll centre/bump steer correctors that have a dramatic effect. Grp n timing is advance on the inlet and r****d on the exhaust. Rev limit is set to circa 8k as well. I've got a Grp n timing tool to set the cams in the correct position.
My lap in that video was done on a Sunday when the dtm was on at the gp circuit. Rain was forecast for the day so it kept a lot of people away, which was a real bonus! Yeah there's plenty of t wats that drive the ring unfortunately, but the same can be said for any uk trackday as well. Just a shame you drive circa 500miles to drive with them at the ring! Lol

I am not saying that tf are no good for clear laps (have had plenty before), I was just unlucky, my point is that to maximise quality driving time when you have driven 500miles and spent a ton of money it may be the way forward, however if it is not cost effective then I'll see you in the car park of a tf. Lol! Cheating? maybe.... Agreed about uk trackdays, plenty of tools. Your car sounds like quite a machine mate what do the roll centre/bump steer correctors do and where are they positioned?
Perfect circumstances for the lap, I look forward to that opportunity in the future.

Megane r26

Hmmmmm 8k haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I am not saying that tf are no good for clear laps (have had plenty before), I was just unlucky, my point is that to maximise quality driving time when you have driven 500miles and spent a ton of money it may be the way forward, however if it is not cost effective then I'll see you in the car park of a tf. Lol! Cheating? maybe.... Agreed about uk trackdays, plenty of tools. Your car sounds like quite a machine mate what do the roll centre/bump steer correctors do and where are they positioned?
Perfect circumstances for the lap, I look forward to that opportunity in the future.

No I know your not mate, it's all luck of the draw I'm afraid. I'm not sure if I'd get the same thrill out of the ring if it wasn't a tf day though if that makes sense? I quite like the thrill of dodging the bikes and planning overtakes. Definitely cheating mate - your already up to full speed on a trackday on the run up to the bridge!
My cup has just had the focus on the right areas mate really imo of course. Just a few additional touches to certain areas and that's it, I'm done. The opportunities for the perfect laps are few and far between, but they are so special when they do finally arrive that you forget about the 4k you've spent on previous trips waiting for that one lap.......lol!

Clio 172
excellent write up mate. I know what you mean about living closer and being able to dedicate time to such a wonderful place

Trophy
No I know your not mate, it's all luck of the draw I'm afraid. I'm not sure if I'd get the same thrill out of the ring if it wasn't a tf day though if that makes sense? I quite like the thrill of dodging the bikes and planning overtakes. Definitely cheating mate - your already up to full speed on a trackday on the run up to the bridge!
My cup has just had the focus on the right areas mate really imo of course. Just a few additional touches to certain areas and that's it, I'm done. The opportunities for the perfect laps are few and far between, but they are so special when they do finally arrive that you forget about the 4k you've spent on previous trips waiting for that one lap.......lol!

Yeah I get what you mean, there is a certain thrill about tf days. Agreed that flat out on the straight under the bridge would be cheating, see what you mean about cheating now ;-) Would be interested to see the full spec of your car, as I said she sounds a beaut. I am trying to wrestle with keeping the Trophy still suitable for the road (daily driver to work) rather than focused for the track, tbh I am losing the battle, lol! Just a few more bits.....

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I get what you mean, there is a certain thrill about tf days. Agreed that flat out on the straight under the bridge would be cheating, see what you mean about cheating now ;-) Would be interested to see the full spec of your car, as I said she sounds a beaut. I am trying to wrestle with keeping the Trophy still suitable for the road (daily driver to work) rather than focused for the track, tbh I am losing the battle, lol! Just a few more bits.....
I think the majority of what's been done to the car is listed on here somewhere tbh. It's nothing outlandish mate. Just functional!