ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio turbo silverstone video

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
th_clioturbotrax.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Goes on well! I'd like a go in this ;)

Im sure that can be arranged mate.

Only got a few sessions left on track with it this year before I give it the bottom end freshen up it so desperately needs now impumping so much more boost through it, but it will be out at loads of trackdays next year.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gotta love a bit of Trax track time, bloody free for all!

Yeah it was pretty hectic, Ive never done Trax before but Mike from MWM (he was in the silver clio you see make a break at 20 seconds into and was the only car I didnt overtake although I did just about manage to get him back in my sights by a couple of laps later) talked me into it saying it would be a good giggle, and he was right, its just like the action days at combe, I love it when its that busy.

Chip, you need a diff in that! Must be a right pain coming out of every corner spinning the wheels that much!

The track was damper than it looks in the video TBH, especially on a couple of the corners, in the dry its actually a lot better anyway from that respect.

But yes a diff would be a massive benefit obviously even in the dry, hell even a standard car needs one on the tight bits IMHO, but its not worth the money it would cost for this car, especially as the gearbox is so weak anyway and a diff only makes them break even sooner and I dont want to be forever swapping boxes (did 8 box swaps in 18 months on my old mk1!), I would sooner spend that time on building my new mk1 as that will have a diff on its final speclist anyway.

Our plan for this car is just a quick engine freshen up when the trackday season finishes for us after october and then next year to get this car to lots of trackdays so my mrs can get some proper practice in as she isnt used to turbo cars, then at the tail end of next year I will hopefully do the turbo engine (with diff, lol) into the mk1, and that will be a proper little weapon hopefully and by then she'll hopefully be more ready for driving it too anyway, id much sooner risk her binning this one than the mk1!
We're also going to get the mk1 out next year with temporary renault power just so I can get the suspension and brakes and electronics like the dash and datalogger etc all developed ready for when the turbo honda engine goes in.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Did the turbo survive the second session, you disappeared half way through I thought?

How did the dasy chain breather hold up lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did the turbo survive the second session, you disappeared half way through I thought?

I had a vacuum leak from the recirc valve by the throttle body, so lost braking feel as a result, so I pulled off a couple of laps before the end just in case it got worse as obviously your brakes starting to feel different isnt ideal on track.
Sealed it up in the pits when I pulled off and it was fine after that. Im starting to find pressure issues like that now im peaking 25 lbs of boost that werent ever an issue for MWM as they were only peaking 14, so I need to slightly change a few things as a result for the extra boost.
So not a drama really, just a bit of development im having to do in order to take the setup far further than mike ever planned to as he was just trying to build a reliable 250-260 lbft/bhp setup which he did very well, where as Im just messing around seeing what I can make it do now that it doesnt need to be reliable anymore as im planning an engine rebuild as soon as the season closes anyway.

How did the dasy chain breather hold up lol
Very well, I will have to get a diagram up at some point, its quite hilarious TBH.

Before the new breather setup it was breathing 1 litre of oil in 5 mins of hard driving (the rings really are THAT knackered now, Ive totally scorched them with all the extra boost on an already tired engine, and im going to be surprised if the ringlands havent broken up as well TBH) with the new setup, its down to just a few splatters of oily vapour which I could catch with a cloth after the 2nd breather to stop it being an issue.

Ive never had any engine breathe this hard before and still want to keep going, im sure Im down a good 50bhp as a result, and the economy is now far worse, but it still goes really well even despite that!

Really looking forward to seeing what it does on a decent bottom end next year :)

I noticed on the videos it doesn't sound like you rev match when changing gear? Is that something that's not recommended or just out of choice? From reading on here I thought it was something good to do!

That car is awesome, shows all the other cars on track up completely!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I noticed on the videos it doesn't sound like you rev match when changing gear? Is that something that's not recommended or just out of choice? From reading on here I thought it was something good to do!

Thats just me being lazy really mate, I dont find the clio pedals particuarly great for heal and toe anyway and havent modified this car to make them any better, so instead I just changed gear pretty slowly to give the synchros a chance. if you change gears very quickly, its well worth rev matching.
Please dont take this video as any sort of "how to drive on a trackday" type video, as its not intended as one it was just showing people how I got on, my lines arent even great in places TBH as its the first time ive ever driven silverstone for like 15 years or something.

Considering I was going relatively steady given how badly the poor engine is suffering from the amount of boost ive rammed down it recently etc, it did surprise me quite how well it went, like the red civic type r in that video, it looks like he is stationary nearly when I pass him, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice looked like was was not even pushing it

Exactly the case mate, I was just out to have a little fun and try and keep the car in one piece as its got two more trackdays to do before I have time to rebuild it.

I'll probably be trying a little harder at combe on saturday though because:
a) I know the track a lot better
b) my mates will be out at the same time as me
c) Im not too fussed about the last trackday anyway, so if it finally dies at combe im really not fussed

Will post a video of how I get on.

Leon Cupra 300
What power is it running as it stands?

Is it an off the shelf conversion or one you've done yourself?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What power is it running as it stands?

Is it an off the shelf conversion or one you've done yourself?

Ive no idea what power it is now mate.

Project thread here: www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?646865-Clio-172-phase-1-turbo

It was built by MWM as a demonstrator of their 260bhp conversion (it made 258bhp at surrey rolling road)

It was then sold to a lad on here, who kept it for about 7K miles and then decided he wanted something more economical, I bought it off of him.

Since I have had it, I have been winding the boost up more though (and remapping it of course, I dont literally just mean wind it up and hope for the best, lol) but have been doing so on the road, so although it got a lot quicker I cant tell you how much the power actually changed, probably not by a huge amount in terms of peak power figures as the turbo runs out of puff at high rpm, but Ive got it currently peaking at 25psi which is giving it a fair bit more torque (although ive deliberately mapped it lazily at that boost to try and keep it going)

The last few weeks though the strain of all the extra boost has really started to show, its breathing massively heavily, and desperately needs a bottom end freshen up, it was a tired engine even before MWM decided to use it as their demo (mike wanted to prove even a tired bottom end could take boost if kept sensible, and he was right), and obviously me keep winding the boost up WAY past where they would normally run it has done it no favours at all.

As a result its now getting slower and slower as the bottom end finally expires, so its probably down to less power by now than it was when first done despite the extra boost!

So I would estimate it currently at about 240-250 bhp probably.

Please dont get the wrong impression that the MWM conversion isnt reliable, thats not the case at all, it was perfectly fine while still running the boost Mike intended, its only cause I decided I was going to do a rebuild and hence had nothing to lose by just messing around with it that it ever got to see the sorts of load that have clearly proved too much for it. Thats entirely just me messing with the car though since Ive owned it, not any reflection on them.

When it goes back together and is nice and fresh and on forged pistons, Im sure it will be fine with the boost im running now, and will probably do 300lbft or more (but peak power will still be limited by size of the turbo and intercooler etc)

After the winter rebuild, I will get it back on the rollers :)

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Looks rapid.

How would a diff rip the box apart? I thought coming out of corners wheel spinning and struggling for traction would break them rather than a diff to stop all that.

Know what I mean? Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks rapid.

How would a diff rip the box apart? I thought coming out of corners wheel spinning and struggling for traction would break them rather than a diff to stop all that.

Know what I mean? Lol.

The lack of traction means that the box sees less load, because it just spins the wheel up instead, if it had more grip the box would have to try harder.

Put a piece of paper on the desk, and push one end, it will move along flat, now put something in front of it, push again, now it bends, so does the shaft in your gearbox, lol

Evo 5 RS

When you've got 250bhp in a tinshoe you can take your time lol. Syncromesh gear boxes no matter what you do will probably thank you better for changing slower rather than rev matching

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
The lack of traction means that the box sees less load, because it just spins the wheel up instead, if it had more grip the box would have to try harder.

Put a piece of paper on the desk, and push one end, it will move along flat, now put something in front of it, push again, now it bends, so does the shaft in your gearbox, lol

Ahhh, I do see the logic behind your explanation. Suppose you just got to learn to feather the throttle.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ahhh, I do see the logic behind your explanation. Suppose you just got to learn to feather the throttle.

What I really could do with is to map the car so that throttle angle is used as a parameter for boost control, so that at half throttle it only makes wastegate pressure, Ive done that with other FWD turbo cars in the past that I have mapped (including a LOT more power than this makes) and it works really well.

Its not wired like that currently, but I will probably do that as part of the winter freshen up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What kind of power you looking at after the build back up?

280 or so would be fine, that should be plenty for the mrs to learn with.
Not interested in chasing some silly big power figure that we have no use for TBH, ive been there and done that with engines in the past and its just a waste of 10K TBH, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What times you out on Saturday I'm looking forward to seeing it on track

Im not sure yet mate, we've got 6 passes

10.45 12.15 1.30 2.30 3.30 4.45

but the mrs will probably do 3 of them in her car so im not sure which ones will be in mine and which in hers.

I will probably take the first one though as thats when my mate is out in his Astra Coupe Turbo and we like to go out together, so thats your best bet for spotting me (no doubt will be more like 11 though when we actually get on track as they normally end up running late)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can vouch for the car's power, it pulls like a freight train on roids.

Lol, thanks mate!

Its a lot more controllable now that Ive sorted all the steering and suspension since I took you out in it, will have to let you drive it next time now its actually safe to just let anyone loose in it, was such a handful before that I was reluctant to let people have a go unless it was on big roads!

Give me a few months to sort some other stuff first and then rebuild it, and I'll start dragging it to meets and letting people have a go, its a right giggle!

Look forward to seeing you at Combe Chip.

It will either do a quick lap or die in a cloud of smoke trying, so should be worth watching either way, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
love reading about this little motor chip, looks very capable out on track in the video an the setup seems perfect for the job.

Thanks mate, for what it is, im really pleased with how well it all works as a package.

Its a real credit to Mike from MWM how well it all works on what is such a simple conversion really.

Flat Eric

Sing Hosanna!!
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Just watched video. Looks like great fun. That sounds a good idea with the mapping for the waste gate pressure etc.

Will keep an eye on this for that winter refresh. ;)

Audi A5
good vid chip just a shame photobucket has raped the quality :(

your car seem to really start pulling in the higher speeds from that video

what group was that, intermediate?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No idea mate. No one seems to take much notice anyway, I just bought whatever tickets I could tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
looked like a intermediate group, i think you would of been better suited to a advanced group

I love it really busy and lots of traffic to cut through tbh anyway. Makes each lap different if you are working out who to pass where etc. it's just going in circles if you are all the same speed.