ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 MK1 or MK2??

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Ok so I have received a deposit for the AMG today so now on the hunt for another car. I was going to spend 18k on a MK2. However due to a very large conversion (bungalow - house) I need to release some contingency funds.

so I have a choice of either buying a low ish mileage Mk1 V6 12k

http://www.andytmotors.co.uk/used-c...ultsport-230-3dr-fridaybridge-201406265331160

Or a high miler V6 Mk2 for slightly more. 13-14k

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=478359

i really wanted a MK2 but obviously now out of my price range. Should I be put off by the milage? Any opinions welcomed ;-)

Last edited:
  RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Need a login for the Mk2 link.

I'd be going for the Mk2 if it's had all the right work done, at the right time and it's a decent colour.

An orange one
Out of those 2 cars I'd take the ph1 all day long;

That mk2 has been wrapped in white vinyl before, and the ph1 has some tasty extras like KW's and janspeed, and as it says is known to SG Motorsport which is the UK holy grail for clio V6's.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I guess the main reason for being against the MK1 is the interior, I hate it!!!

Mini Cooper S sport
I'd want the Mk 2 but would get advice on here about any potential buys - like the one above.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mad to think that we were struggling to get £8500 for mk1 V6's about 5 years ago. Now they're like rocking horse s**t and going up in value every 12 months!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I like the outside of the mk1s sightly more but the interior isn't as nice as the mk2s but I suppose you can swap in some trophy recaros and it's all good again :)

Low miles mk1 would be my choice due to them only going up in price from now on!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
For me, would be the MK1. I think with these cars it's much more important to get a minter that will go up in value and sell easily, over a scruffy newer version that no-one is really going to want come sale time.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Im starting to like the retro look of the mk1 V6 more and more now. used to think they were a little bland compaired to the mk2, the mk2 (and mk2 ph2 clios in general) have aged quite well and still look pretty modern! so for me it would be a low millage good condition mk1 as its a safe investment id say!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Mad to think that we were struggling to get £8500 for mk1 V6's about 5 years ago. Now they're like rocking horse s**t and going up in value every 12 months!

Just what I was thinking, doesn't seem that long ago I remember decent examples up for 9k and not really selling!

BG 182

My Brother-in-law just bought a Mk1 Vee, seems like he paid a good price compared to the one in the OP, the previous owner had spent a couple of grand on it having the front resprayed and kept it in a heated garage.

Edit: Lower milage too.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
My Brother-in-law just bought a Mk1 Vee, seems like he paid a good price compared to the one in the OP, the previous owner had spent a couple of grand on it having the front resprayed and kept it in a heated garage.

Edit: Lower milage too.

Great help ;-)

there is another on pistonheads as we speak with 30k in the clock kept in a air chamber. Looks mint, but 700 f**king miles away!!!

Many.
I've always prefered the Ph2 V6, Ph1's are special, but not as much.

That Ph2 would take some work to return it to standard properly, vents in front bumper, that spoiiler and a few other bits.

BG 182
I've always prefered the Ph2 V6, Ph1's are special, but not as much.

That Ph2 would take some work to return it to standard properly, vents in front bumper, that spoiiler and a few other bits.

I prefer the Ph2's aswell, but I think there will be a point where the value of the Ph1's will take over the Ph2's. Providing you look after either, these cars are an investment.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
As others have said out of the 2 in question the ph1 gets my vote.

If your budget is sub 15k you will not get a decent ph2.

I am budgeting between 17-20k for my next ph2.

If I don't get one this year then I think they are going to appreciate out of reach for a 'weekend toy'

Lionel Richie
Don't be put off by the bullshit surrounding the phs1 being "dangerous" - that stems from a load of journalists rocking up and driving them (and also crashing i believe) for 1 day

for both the ph1 and ph2 you need to spend a good 6months with it to "understand" it

the gearlinkage on the phs1 is naff, but fear not that can by modified easily to replicate the phs2, if you fancy a drive mine is available ;)

Don't be put off by the bulls**t surrounding the phs1 being "dangerous" - that stems from a load of journalists rocking up and driving them (and also crashing i believe) for 1 day

for both the ph1 and ph2 you need to spend a good 6months with it to "understand" it

the gearlinkage on the phs1 is naff, but fear not that can by modified easily to replicate the phs2, if you fancy a drive mine is available ;)
Weirdly the reviews on YT all say how well the Phase 1 handles (apart from the Autocar one iirc)
Hammond & a woman reviewed it on Men & Motors too & raved about the handling :S

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Don't be put off by the bulls**t surrounding the phs1 being "dangerous" - that stems from a load of journalists rocking up and driving them (and also crashing i believe) for 1 day

Cheers fred, yours for sale ;-)

This is the low miler, 10hrs drive though ffs

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/renault/clio-v6/renault-clio-v6/2685292

Its nice to read all the phase one love in this thread. The interior including tape deck and general look of the phase one in 100% standard set up does have a 'period' appeal to it all now. Its ageing well!

As for the orignal question, buy on condition and service history.
Phase one or two, doesnt really matter, they are both great cars. Very similar in all aspects, despite almost all components being different.

I would recommend that you go and see both examples your considering - and as many other v6s as you possibly can!
Looking at photos in adverts does give you a rough idea, but once you have seen loads of these up close you realise condition varies massively, even when price appears not too. Its worth travelling to get a good one.

Try not to fall into the trap of buying the first one you see. This is easier said than done though!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Its a good one that's been used as it should :D afterall what's the point in buying it if its not going to be driven! SharkyUK he borrowed it for a while, he'll tell you if its a nail or not ;)
It's a shed. Absolutely hanging... ;)

Seriously, it's a beauty. Drives beautifully and a great gear change. Driven as RenaultSport intended but properly looked after and maintained. I loved it.
Fred@BTM has the Ph2. I borrowed it for quite some time and didn't want to give it back. If I wasn't spending so much on my Trophy and moving house, I'd have made Fred a serious offer myself. It has a few stone chips but no dramas. It's been enjoyed and these minor blemishes are easily sorted.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
It's a shed. Absolutely hanging... ;)

Seriously, it's a beauty. Drives beautifully and a great gear change. Driven as RenaultSport intended but properly looked after and maintained. I loved it.
@Fred@BTM has the Ph2. I borrowed it for quite some time and didn't want to give it back. If I wasn't spending so much on my Trophy and moving house, I'd have made Fred a serious offer myself. It has a few stone chips but no dramas. It's been enjoyed and these minor blemishes are easily sorted.

Pmd