ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 vs Trophy Round the Ring

Just using the ring as an example but maybe consider a smaller track such as top gear track. Which car do you think would win?

It may seem a daft question but by all reports the Trophy left the v6 chasing according to the Autocar review. Assume an average fast day to day driver and not a pro the v6 may be slower round a track?

p.s. how do you change your profile? everytime i click edit profile i get a white screen of death.

ST

I dont really have a clue on your car quetions.....but the profile thingy has been suspended at the moment as the forum is being updated.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

same driver - I guess the Trophy as the driver skill requirement is so much less/the chassis so much better.

Put proper dampers on the V6 however and I doubt there would be much in it.

Ziel Nurburgring

All down to driver skill. From experience at the ring, in the corners the lighter clio would have a slight edge, but up the inclines the v6 has the grunt to push it up where the throphy would struggle a little (against the Vee).

So it seems the trophy is most probrably faster round a track than a v6. Thats bonkers when they charge 26k for a v6, does this mean the v6 is purely a cosmetic exersize? How can they make a v6 version that is slower than the standard clio 182 cup / trophy?

A dealer did say he had somebody who owned a v6 mk1 change to a trophy and say it was better!

Trophy although with a very skilled driver who knows the cars limit there wont be much in it. With a less skilled driver unsure of the ring the Trophy would be even quicker.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

PMSL!!! The Vee would kill it!!! 2.0l vs 3.0l and the strights at the ring, not to mention jus keepin the pace throught the bends. A good driver and a well set up vee would maul any 182.

RWD and better power to weight helps and Ring go few looong straights. (250 vs. 182)

I would put my money on V6.
But ive never driven V6 or Trophy b/c we dont get any "special" clios to finland (just Mk1 & Mk2 172 and basic 182) :(

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

no one mentioned setting up the Vee - and the trophy is already set up for track use - road set up vs track set up (power to weight almost the same) - itll make all the difference, only one way to find out - wheres "The Stig"

Someone call Clarkson - come on Jeremy, you must be able to get the coverage - even if its to test the Benson circuit theyre moving to.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Around the ring the V6 would lap quicker Id say. The 5th and 6th gear straights will see it take an advantage, its also not too shabby round thr corners either remember. Around a tighter track Id put my money on a Trophy.

Silver Fabia vRS

Depends if your talking Mk1 or Mk2 V6. I would say a Mk2 would be quicker round than a Trophy, the handling is very good and it has the torque to be able to lug itself out of corners well.

If you talking Mk1 V6 then I would go with the Trophy. There isnt much in straight line speed between them and the handling is much better on the Trophy.

Would also be down to driver skill as others have said.

Porsche GT4, Eagle

I did 1000 miles at the Ring last week, on top of the 2000 laps I have already done in the last 10 years. I have no doubt that a Trophy would beat a Mark 1 V6. I have not however driven a Mark 2 V6 so I cant be so sure about that.

How do the Power to Weight Ratios compare?

http://homepage.mac.com/benlovering/iMovieTheater14.htmlA lap of mine ...

[Edited by Guzzler on 7/14/2005 7:08:08 PM]

dk

911 GTS Cab

v6 for me if the driver knows how to drive it, those long straights would be eaten up and the hills, but anyone can drive a trophy fast, takes a skilled driver to get the same out of the V without losing it.

Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!

Quote: Originally posted by Steve V6 255 on 14 July 2005

Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!
Dont take it the wrong way loads of owners would love a V6 over a 182/ Trophy. However the discussion was on the track speed and it seems a common view that the Trophy would be better, its got an incredible amount of front end grip. Its faster than a Cup round a track and thats slightly faster than a V6 (just)

I thin BenRs view settles it hes driven both and is a good racing driver if he says the Trophy wins then Id be inclined to agree.

Were not saying the car isnt superb to look at listen to etc but for pure track speed the Trophy wins.

What spec Elises did you have? Ive chased a normal one (whatever spec a 54 reg normal one is) round a track and we were dead even (I spoke to the owner later and went for a drive) I had the wrong offset tyres (seems to make a big different) tyres and failed brakes on my car.

to the person who said if you could afford a v6 etc you would think differently well i can afford a v6 and would liek a v6 but cannot justify the price for what you get and am happy with a trophy especialy if its faster!

It aint faster and neither is your old cup.

The V6 has more power to weight and a hell of a lot more torque too.

But if power to price is all you are after then buy a very old Mk1 Scoobie and p*ss over them all .......:D

anyway I have seen these v6 price bashing treads over and over again, they get boring after over one year of seeing them, the V6 (at 153mph) is the fastest road car Renault make PERIOD.....:D

Simon.

im not bashing the v6, i think they are mental but i would have to win the lottery before i could justify buying one. If i was going to spend 26k on a car i think my eyes would wander towards all the other possibilities if you know what i mean ;)

Slightly off topic but have a mate ho has rover 220 coupe turbo and he sais it has a 0-60 of 6 secs. I reckon a Trophy would beat it to 60 but would be overtaken at around 90 mph? Anyone ever seen a 172 or 182 drag a rover coupe?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

woooo there nelly!

Like others have said no one is cussing the mk2 v6..its an awsome car. Id have 1 over a trophy any day.

Im going on my experience of brands where the v6 felt no faster than my cup and seeing as a trophy is a better car than my cup tis why i felt i would be quicker.

The v6 would have a big advantage on the up hill sections on the ring tho

i drove a v6 and i thought it was quick, but not any quicker than my old 182 really ?, i wa squite dissapointed, i did however get loads of looks

Porsche GT4, Eagle

I have no intention at all of knocking the V6. I love the thing. And yes if I was not so short of money right now I would definately consider buying one.

However, I was not knocking the V6 when I said in my experience the Trophy would be faster than a Mk1 V6. Also let me add again I have no personal experience of the Mk2 so I can not make an informed decision on that. Thanks for the pwr/wgt figures BTW Clio172.fs - do you know the Mk1 figure?

The original post said an average Jo driving - so love the V6 as I do - I still think the Trophy would be faster.

I am going back there in August so if anyone wants to bring a V6 we could always check it out. ;-)

Ben (a V6 fan.)

220bhp octy VRS

V6 every day of the week.

get real people. more power, real wheel drive. Its a long track ffs...not a sub 1 min track like brands indy (where the trophy may do better).

the trophy is nothing special in my opion...whereas the v6 is a 2 seater mid-engined 3.0 v6.

a trophy is just a fettled 182 for goodness sake....its not a real sportscar. wake up

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by michaelelder on 15 July 2005

get real people. more power, real wheel drive. Its a long track ffs...not a sub 1 min track like brands indy (where the trophy may do better).

the trophy is nothing special in my opion...whereas the v6 is a 2 seater mid-engined 3.0 v6.

a trophy is just a fettled 182 for goodness sake....its not a real sportscar. wake up
Lol, im sure you will find a lot of people (not just owners, but people who drove them af oulten park) who will disagree. But nice try

dk

911 GTS Cab

i actually agree with this fella, (and yes I am one of the few people who have driven both the V6 and Trophy on a track before anyone starts)

V

v6Max

The original post said driven by an "Average Joe" - in that case it has to be the Trophy. The average joe drives a FWD car, was taught to drive in an FWD understands FWD at an instinctive level.

The average joe is much, much happier dealing with understeer than oversteer, theyll lift off in corners, theyll trail brake, theyll jump from 5th to 3rd to slow the car etc etc and all of these things are the enemy of smooth driving which is what you need if you want to extract the maximum out of the v6.

As standard the Trophy is more track biased than the V as well, so it has an advantage there as well.

Ill concede that the v should have an advantage on steep inclines or very long straights where the opportunity to vMax the v may occurr.

If the discussion was not about an average joe then the result would be different assuming that the v was allowed the same track biased setup options as the trophy!

All IMHO and yes I do own a v6 and for my sins its a mark 1

golf r32 dsg

im savin now for a vee want 1 next year....i have a 182 even if the trophy is quicker than a v6 round a track ill neva be going round 1 anyway!!!

the v6 is fu**in awesume.....

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by v6Max on 15 July 2005

The original post said driven by an "Average Joe" - in that case it has to be the Trophy. The average joe drives a FWD car, was taught to drive in an FWD understands FWD at an instinctive level.

The average joe is much, much happier dealing with understeer than oversteer, theyll lift off in corners, theyll trail brake, theyll jump from 5th to 3rd to slow the car etc etc and all of these things are the enemy of smooth driving which is what you need if you want to extract the maximum out of the v6.

As standard the Trophy is more track biased than the V as well, so it has an advantage there as well.

Ill concede that the v should have an advantage on steep inclines or very long straights where the opportunity to vMax the v may occurr.

If the discussion was not about an average joe then the result would be different assuming that the v was allowed the same track biased setup options as the trophy!

All IMHO and yes I do own a v6 and for my sins its a mark 1
the point about the averagejoe is a fair one, anyone can drive a 182 quick but it takes real skill to do the same with the V (Jeremy Townsend is the quickest I have been with in a V, he is awesome in the thing)

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by toonboy on 15 July 2005

Slightly off topic but have a mate ho has rover 220 coupe turbo and he sais it has a 0-60 of 6 secs. I reckon a Trophy would beat it to 60 but would be overtaken at around 90 mph? Anyone ever seen a 172 or 182 drag a rover coupe?
funny you should mention that i had a blat with one and i was very very suprised at hte speed of the thing. it was rusty and old too upto !/10 there was nothing in it and then i pulled past. however its cornering had a lot to br desired.. the 220 turbo rovers are very fast comparativley light weight and 197 hp they can shift mid range but the poor suspension would not allow for great 0-60 runs (which is why the 172 has great 0-60 runs) most likely they wont have low profile tyres on them (cheap cars dont usually run around on expensive cut rubber) and on twisties it would be lost to a 172/182 in fact the guy i saw went round a roundabout and it lean more than the tower of piza i was impressed with its grip considering its age.

drag racings for girls anyway. get on a track and watch him realise how dated the rover 200 chasiss is.

ohh and dont have one if its hot the A/C is poor if it has it at all and dont crash as ther not the safest things around.

cheap performance but whats the fuel and insurance like ??

ohh i may add the reason it took till !/10 speeds to overtake is that i had two people + me in the 172 and i was due my 36k service also. i think in different circumstances it would have been over at .95

but straight line they are pretty quick.

personally i prefer the 620gsi turbo. safer, more toys, looks better, newer, more space. better build etc.. good 2nd hand performance cars.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 15 July 2005

Lol, im sure you will find a lot of people (not just owners, but people who drove them af oulten park) who will disagree. But nice try
Think you will find that in the hands of all of us on the forum the Trophy would be the quicker (albeit) just. I have driven both and yes it is very torquey but staight line up to 100 not a lot in it. Round the bends if you push anything like you can in 172/182, the V6 would be in the barriers.

All i can say to support this is the fact that my instructer said to me that the trophy would get round Outon quicker and safer than the V6.

172 cup TT

Wo Wo Wo!!! where have i been for the past month.. Trophy!! match against a V6?!?!.. Serious Qs here... i thought the Trophy was almost identical to the 172 cup... its still 182 bhp but surely isnt as light as the 172cup.. or is it?.. whats the BHP per Tonne of each plz peeps.. ta... (Dont tell me to search or the big guns come out :) )

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 15 July 2005
Wo Wo Wo!!! where have i been for the past month.. Trophy!! match against a V6?!?!.. Serious Qs here... i thought the Trophy was almost identical to the 172 cup... its still 182 bhp but surely isnt as light as the 172cup.. or is it?.. whats the BHP per Tonne of each plz peeps.. ta... (Dont tell me to search or the big guns come out :) )

Its nothing to with the power, its all down to the chassis. It handles better than any Clio before it. The Cup is still a little lighter, but power to weight is almost the same.