ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Williams 1 1993

Clio Williams 1
I have a few electric niggles with our Clio Williams 1. Gives impression of single click as though starter solenoid is faulty occasionally it fires up and can bump start if required.. SO far I've replaced/checked the following:-

1. Starter motor replaced with 2 new ones and old ones bench test ok)
2. Replaced earth strap, no earth fault though check by connecting battery and gear box with jump lead and fitting new earth strap as a matter of course.
3. Spade terminal wire on starter felt slack so renewed that.
4. Checked battery ok and fully charged nearly new.
5. Checked all battery / starter connections are tight and corrosion free.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I was going to check the ignition switch and I Believe there's a block behind the glove box which can corrode?

Is anyone from around West Yorkshire that has experience of these problems who might want to look at fixing it (will of course be paid!)

I have a few electric niggles with our Clio Williams 1. Gives impression of single click as though starter solenoid is faulty occasionally it fires up and can bump start if required.. SO far I've replaced/checked the following:-

1. Starter motor replaced with 2 new ones and old ones bench test ok)
2. Replaced earth strap, no earth fault though check by connecting battery and gear box with jump lead and fitting new earth strap as a matter of course.
3. Spade terminal wire on starter felt slack so renewed that.
4. Checked battery ok and fully charged nearly new.
5. Checked all battery / starter connections are tight and corrosion free.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I was going to check the ignition switch and I Believe there's a block behind the glove box which can corrode?

Is anyone from around West Yorkshire that has experience of these problems who might want to look at fixing it (will of course be paid!)
To confirm, you can turn the key and it goes 'click' but then won't turn over?

You've replaced all the things I was going to suggest so I'm not sure I can be any help... lol

As you say, it could be worth tracing the connection back from the starter motor and checking connections in the loom - I'm sure someone on here has said that connectors can fail.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
What are the fuse boxes like on these? It’s been a while since I had a 16v (20 years!)

It’s worth pulling all the relays you can, cleaning all the fuses and relay connectors. A lot of electrical trouble with old cars can be down to corrosion growing on contact points between relays and fuse boxes, same for fuses.

Worth checking the ignition barrel plug too?