ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cliosport 172 scrapping advice

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Hi Clio forums people!

My 172 has been told to go to the scrapheap in the sky by a local mechanic, he said I can pay him the £150 for collecting it and having a look / diagnosing, or he can scrap it for me to recoup his costs.

I am wondering whether it's worth paying the money and scrapping it for parts myself, or whether to just let him do it?

I think the engine is a gonner (mechanic said something like bent pistons? est'd about £1000 fix), the body panels have a quite a few scratches and dings on and the drivers seat has a tear in the fabric.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i.e. whether it's worth paying to keep it, and if so what parts would be worth selling on and rough prices, or just to be done with it?

Thanks!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Get more than that by breaking it.
Stuff like wheels, lights, trims, undamaged engine parts etc.
Hes taking the piss and will probably break it himself

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
That's kind of what I thought . .

Problem is, i'm not sure the best place to sell parts, or what specific parts are worth anything :eek:! I assume the best place for selling is here on the forums or ebay / gumtree?

I'll also need to pay for it to be towed back to my place!

That said peoples reactions are pretty much that he's being a bit cheeky . .

Clio 172; Megane 1.6
bent pistons . . . apparently :/

*sorry, meant as reply to matt@codered*

maybe he meant something esle?

Just get it back to yours, strip all the valuable'ish bits then phone around the scrappers local to you i expect they will at the least pick it up FOC.

Clio 172
The last Clio I broke made me 1800 quid , less 400 or so for your engine and you do the rest of the maths mate , which is what the garage will do ,after it's stripped the scrappy will give you 50-100 quid for the tub

Last edited:
  Clio 172; Megane 1.6
Cheers guys, did have the membership here but let it lapse during one of those lovely trouble free periods!! :rasp: