ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch change without moving subframe

monaco 172
Has anybody tried to change the clutch on a 172 without moving the subframe?

About 7 years ago I did it on a 182 and I'm 99% sure all I did was remove both driveshafts and slid the box over into the arch and left the subframe in place as the bolts were spinning and it left me just enough room to get the clutch cover off

But my mate did it on his phase 1 not long back and recons its impossible without shifting the subframe down a bit.

Is there a tad more room on a 182 for some unknown reason?

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
No reason for a 182 to be easier that I can think of. In fact the easiest one would probably be a 172 Cup, non ABS but I’m not sure you’ll get the box back enough without at least dropping the subframe a bit.
Getting in there to undo the cover plate, not to mention aligning the new clutch will be next to impossible I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
just did the whole thing with removing the sub frame, but I reckon it can be done.
driveshafts as you said.
only other thing in the way is the small stay that goes from wishbone bolt to the wheelarch.

monaco 172
just did the whole thing with removing the sub frame, but I reckon it can be done.
driveshafts as you said.
only other thing in the way is the small stay that goes from wishbone bolt to the wheelarch.
Hmm now you mention it I think I took that off last time to gain an extra inch or so.

I'll see how it goes, I can always tackle the subframe if needed but I'm certain I didn't last time

dan's cast offs.
you probably could but for the time it takes to drop it down on the passengers side and the space it gives i wouldn't bother trying without dropping it.

monaco 172
you probably could but for the time it takes to drop it down on the passengers side and the space it gives i wouldn't bother trying without dropping it.
Does the steering rack still need disconnecting if your only dropping the passenger side a few inch?

dan's cast offs.
i pop the uj off and stick long bolts on the drivers side and studding on the passengers side because i'm lazy and it makes it easier!!!