ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers On Renault Clio MK2 1.2 8v

Renault Clio MK2
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for coilovers for my MK2 Clio, I have been looking around but haven't had much luck recently. I have been looking at lowing springs but think I would like coilovers better because you can adjust the height etc.
Any help or advice would be brilliant:)

Thanks In advance,
Scott

Hi mate.

Have a search for TA-TECHNIQ on ebay. These are the cheapest brand new for non sports iirc. Not the best, but perfect for lows etc.

If your after something better quality I think FK do a set also. You just need to make sure they have the correct hub bolt spacing for your car, which I think is 58mm.

Best way to check is to take your wheel off and measure the distance between the centre of the 2 bolts that fix your hub to the bottom of your shock.

Hope this helps mate

Hi mate.

Have a search for TA-TECHNIX on ebay. These are the cheapest brand new for non sports iirc. Not the best, but perfect for lows etc.

If your after something better quality I think FK do a set also. You just need to make sure they have the correct hub bolt spacing for your car, which I think is 58mm.

Best way to check is to take your wheel off and measure the distance between the centre of the 2 bolts that fix your hub to the bottom of your shock.

Hope this helps mate

EFA

If you have the MK2 Phase 1 as I did, I would put money on it being 52mm which limits your options, AFAIK TA Technixx don't make them in 52mm variants, only the 58mm for non sports.

You have a few options,

you can do a 58mm hub swap etc so you're running phase 2 (16v) gear from the bottom of the coilover, that way you can run cheap coilovers, but have to spend the money of the hub swap etc (there is a guide on here somewhere, I'll find it if you're interested in this)

OR

You can save a bit more and get VMaxx or FK do them in the 52mm variant too, both similarly priced, I think FK get slightly better reviews on here than VMaxx.

First things first though, confirm your bolt spacing by getting under your car, either get it up on a jack, or turn your wheels full lock and poke your head underneath and take a ruler/vernier caliper to measure the bolt spacing at the bottom of the shock absorber. You won't miss them.

Remember it's measured by centre to centre of the holes, but top - top or bottom - bottom will measure the same.

If you want to go the FK route, please contact them to double check they're sending you the right bolt spacing set. I quickly found that link, not 100% sure if it's right.

I ended up just getting Apex lowering springs as circumstances changed, but I would have probably got the FK Highsports if I didn't have to sell the car.

Renault Clio mk2
If you have the MK2 Phase 1 as I did, I would put money on it being 52mm which limits your options, AFAIK TA Technixx don't make them in 52mm variants, only the 58mm for non sports.

You have a few options,

you can do a 58mm hub swap etc so you're running phase 2 (16v) gear from the bottom of the coilover, that way you can run cheap coilovers, but have to spend the money of the hub swap etc (there is a guide on here somewhere, I'll find it if you're interested in this)

OR

You can save a bit more and get VMaxx or FK do them in the 52mm variant too, both similarly priced, I think FK get slightly better reviews on here than VMaxx.

First things first though, confirm your bolt spacing by getting under your car, either get it up on a jack, or turn your wheels full lock and poke your head underneath and take a ruler/vernier caliper to measure the bolt spacing at the bottom of the shock absorber. You won't miss them.

Remember it's measured by centre to centre of the holes, but top - top or bottom - bottom will measure the same.

If you want to go the FK route, please contact them to double check they're sending you the right bolt spacing set. I quickly found that link, not 100% sure if it's right.

I ended up just getting Apex lowering springs as circumstances changed, but I would have probably got the FK Highsports if I didn't have to sell the car.
Hi mate,
Can you clarify what your clio was … what do you mean phase one.
I have a clio mi 2 w reg grande edition non sport 1.2
I need to know if this is phase one like you say ?
Thanks

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate,
Can you clarify what your clio was … what do you mean phase one.
I have a clio mi 2 w reg grande edition non sport 1.2
I need to know if this is phase one like you say ?
Thanks
Mk2 ph1 has a front bumper like this:
1665081318172.png

Mk2 ph2 has a front bumper like this:
1665081378115.png

Easiest way to tell.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Oh my goodness I was one click away from buying coils that will not fit. Do you have any knowledge on the best coils for a phase one … ? Are they 52 mm spaced on the phase ones then ? Thanks so much
Sorry I'm not an expert on non-sports, only one I had was my first car that had exactly 0 mods haha. Probably 52mm based on the post above, but I can't say for certain. Best way is to measure on your own car to be sure.

Renault Clio mk2
Sorry I'm not an expert on non-sports, only one I had was my first car that had exactly 0 mods haha. Probably 52mm based on the post above, but I can't say for certain. Best way is to measure on your own car to be sure.
I’m leaning towards 52 now too I just someone to clarify.
Thanks so much for your help