ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Common 197 Faults

White clique
Hi,

i thought it might be useful to list any common faults on 197 which are being covered under warranty / corrected at service etc so that we know what to expect or can ask for these to be corrected at our next services.

For example on the 182s there were the usual such as knocking suspension mounts, knocking engine mounts, seat bealt pre-tension leads coming loose under the drivers seat and shearing ECU covers.

I am hearing of the following 197 niggles..

Dodgy push start buttons (aparantly)
Recaro seat issue (i wont even go there)
jumpy / jerky cold engines

i know each car will always have its niggles, but any common faults may be worth the heads up.

:)

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
its french the list will be too long and dealers will just put it down to a characteristic of the vehicle! :(

sad but true!

White clique
its french the list will be too long and dealers will just put it down to a characteristic of the vehicle! :(

sad but true!
i'd say your deffo right, but just wondered if anyone who has already taken in 197s for services, maybe 56 plate owners etc have been aware of any amendments or corrections so that we can ensure our dealers do the same.

To be fair my regional Renault dealer SMC are pretty decent at dealing with warranty niggles, but it was only when trading it in that i was aware of various other bits of work they didnt do that other dealers did as a matter of course, such as the suspension mounts.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not heard of the push button one myself?

Notchy 3rd gear (sometimes resulting in a box change!!!!)
Door rattle, which is a piece of piss to fix. (loose plastic grommet near the hinges, just need glueing in)

RS 200
Ones I can think of that people have mentioned are:

1, Recaros ripping
2, Dodgy 3rd gear
3, Dash dials not illuminating when lights are on
4, Jerky cold start ( although if you give this a minute before driving it is alot better !)

Oh, and I had a replacement clutch at about 2300 miles as the original was faulty and slipping badly, done under warrenty.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah yes i had the dash light issue once!!!! LOL i was in town, i thought my lights werent on either (they were lol)

Renaultsport Clio 197
in my (almost a year now) ownership I had :
-squeaky brakes (gone after a few miles, now it happens on SOME days)
-whining gearbox (differential), annoys me when i'm ina bad mood
-faulty fuel injector :S (dealer sad it's cause of the bad fuel)
-dash dials not illuminated (dozen of times)
-kangaroo when cold

dk

911 GTS Cab
Dodgy looks?
Fat car?

;)
how about most only feel like they have 150bhp;)

seriously though, I thought these were supposed to be built better but there seems to be more faults appearing than the 182 ever saw.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hmmm 182 faults (when new ;))

5k exhaust rattle
Creaking steering
Burst rear shocks
Clunky suspension
Faulty temp sensors causing cars to stall/cut out
Cracking cats
LOADS of interior rattles

And FYI, the 197's seem to actually make their power on RR days over the MK2's ;)

dodgy button issue doesn't exist.... that was born out of someone saying they don't trust french electrics so therefore must fail at some point or another!

The lights and recaros are the main ones.

The engine cold start thing has been addressed by renault who claim it is a characteristic of the car! To be fair though, i had a similar issue with the 2 182s i used to own.

Yeah, and the 197s have been quite impressive for reaching claimed outputs!

Clio F1 R27
Dodgy looks?
Fat car?

;)
how about most only feel like they have 150bhp;)

seriously though, I thought these were supposed to be built better but there seems to be more faults appearing than the 182 ever saw.

They are much much better built and the faults are nothing compared to the rattles, eletrics and creaks of previous models. I've owned two 172's and now have an R27 so I think I can make a unbiased appraisal. The R27/197 IS fast and is in a completely different league in terms of build, handling and refinement.

More people are beginning to realise what a great car the 197 is.

Turbo LY R27
Hmmm 182 faults (when new ;))

5k exhaust rattle
Creaking steering
Burst rear shocks
Clunky suspension
Faulty temp sensors causing cars to stall/cut out
Cracking cats
LOADS of interior rattles

And FYI, the 197's seem to actually make their power on RR days over the MK2's ;)

+1 mate.

Driving my old 182 was like driving a marracca! lol:rasp:
That car drove me mad with the noises. My r27 is so well built, and you can drive it with no clunking or noises. And that is b****cks about bein down on power! 172/182s were really bad for that unless the car was broken in properly! Did anyone see (i think it was alans red f1) make 198.something on a rolling road?? People say they are inaccurate but they aint that bad and do give a clear indication of the state of the engine, which for the 197s seem to be very sturdy.

Oh and the amount of people saying how good they are and that they would trade in there 17/182s for a 197 is brilliant now! But we all new this would happen!:) :rasp:

White clique
They are much much better built and the faults are nothing compared to the rattles, eletrics and creaks of previous models. I've owned two 172's and now have an R27 so I think I can make a unbiased appraisal. The R27/197 IS fast and is in a completely different league in terms of build, handling and refinement.

More people are beginning to realise what a great car the 197 is.[/quote]

i'd definitely agree with that, i've had a 172 and a 182, the 197 is a very solid car, i'm loving the refinement but also the nice subtle growl when i floor it, mines 5 months old but no problems so far, touch wood!

I have noticed the clunky 3rd gear tho - are they really replacing gearboxes for this issue?? :eek:

i'd definitely agree with that, i've had a 172 and a 182, the 197 is a very solid car, i'm loving the refinement but also the nice subtle growl when i floor it, mines 5 months old but no problems so far, touch wood!

I have noticed the clunky 3rd gear tho - are they really replacing gearboxes for this issue?? :eek:[/quote]

YEP!! I had my new box put in 2 weeks ago! Itss great now. As above, iv had all of those issues.... squeaky brakes, faulty dash lights and the 6cds in my stereo rattle!!!:mad:

what exactly is the fault with the gearbox?

Sometimes mine seems very reluctant to shift into first or second, but don't think i've had a third gear issue....

White clique

I have noticed the clunky 3rd gear tho - are they really replacing gearboxes for this issue?? :eek:

YEP!! I had my new box put in 2 weeks ago! Itss great now. As above, iv had all of those issues.... squeaky brakes, faulty dash lights and the 6cds in my stereo rattle!!!:mad:[/quote]

was the new box the newer version with better 5th and 6th ratios?? Bonus!! Did you simply take it in and they offered to replace it, or lots of haggling?

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
My 197 is meticulously maintained and in my 11 months of ownership from new I've had the following problems:

1. Squeeking brakes (still squeek regularly 13k miles on)
2. Brake pads stick to discs when parked in my garage overnight
3. The plastic cord holding my petrol cap has snapped (I feel the cold weather had an effect)
4. rattle under steering wheel
5. One touch electric window mechanism malfunctions causing the window to only go up half way or close and then immediately return to the half way position
6. Dash lights failing to illuminate when I switch the headlights on
7. Creaking boot where the rubber 'gromit' is (especially annoying in cold weather)
8. Cold start problem
9. Glove box not fitting correctly on the upper right hand side
10. cold start issues/kangarooing
11. most recently, my standard seat support mechanism has broken and the whole seat is all flimsy.

Do I still enjoy my car? Yes.

Would I buy another renault? No.

Clio F1 R27

YEP!! I had my new box put in 2 weeks ago! Itss great now. As above, iv had all of those issues.... squeaky brakes, faulty dash lights and the 6cds in my stereo rattle!!!:mad:

was the new box the newer version with better 5th and 6th ratios?? Bonus!! Did you simply take it in and they offered to replace it, or lots of haggling?[/quote]

Yeah any info on this would be appreciated! I'd like to get my gearbox replace to!

Clio F1 R27
- Jerky start (sometimes cuts power when cold as if plugs need renewed)
- Noisy brakes

I wouldn't call these faults.

Lots of cars have noisy brakes and it's not uncommon for a car to need a minute to warm up. I normally sit mine on the drive for a minute whilst closing the garage and putting my laptop and stuff in the back. By then it's fine when I pull away.

Also, you should be using the correct fuel. You should be putting decent 98/99 ron fuel in. V-Power or BP Ultimate are the only two options if you really want the car to perform properly.

It's interesting how this thread is only two pages long...Kind of shows how much better this car is.

I remember putting a post up about the 197 last April, saying how good I thought it was after driving one. I got totally slated by so many people. It's nice to see that the truth is finally coming out.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Mums been running her 197 since december and no probs to report as yet - it was registered in september 07

White clique
- Noisy brakes

Lots of cars have noisy brakes and it's not uncommon for a car to need a minute to warm up. I normally sit mine on the drive for a minute whilst closing the garage and putting my laptop and stuff in the back. By then it's fine when I pull away.

Also, you should be using the correct fuel. You should be putting decent 98/99 ron fuel in. V-Power or BP Ultimate are the only two options if you really want the car to perform properly.

It's interesting how this thread is only two pages long...Kind of shows how much better this car is.

I remember putting a post up about the 197 last April, saying how good I thought it was after driving one. I got totally slated by so many people. It's nice to see that the truth is finally coming out.

thats true, plus the 197s are still new-ish, so some of the earlier models are bound to have a few teething problems as i imagine they are still built at the renaultsport factory and not the main factories. Mines a 57 plate and all fine so far, so maybe some of the niggles such as dash lights are being addressed before they hit the show rooms? Maybe not! There are hardcore 172 and 182 fans out there who will always prefer the character of those models - but i doubt many 197 owners who once owned 172s and 182s like me would class the 197 as inferior. On a day-to-day basis its far more pleasant to live with IMO.

- Noisy brakes

Thats what i was thinkin. Aren't noisey brakes quite common on high powered stoppers?

Seen a few race spec cars around my way, and during slow normal road use the brakes always squeak like buggery, but calm down once they're out on track and got some heat into them.

meg1.6
I cant seem to pop the hood, when I pull the lever it doesnt move up even alittle bit

back to the dealers I guess

Renaultsport Clio 197
My 197 is meticulously maintained and in my 11 months of ownership from new I've had the following problems:

1. Squeeking brakes (still squeek regularly 13k miles on) YES
2. Brake pads stick to discs when parked in my garage overnight NO
3. The plastic cord holding my petrol cap has snapped (I feel the cold weather had an effect) NO
4. rattle under steering wheel NO
5. One touch electric window mechanism malfunctions causing the window to only go up half way or close and then immediately return to the half way position - It happens sometimes when I drive fast but i think it's the wind resistance that's doing it, cause the window is meant to stop going up if there's an obstacle likr an arm/head etc
6. Dash lights failing to illuminate when I switch the headlights on - YES, a dozen times
7. Creaking boot where the rubber 'gromit' is (especially annoying in cold weather) - NO
8. Cold start problem - YES, but I always let it warm up for a minute or two
9. Glove box not fitting correctly on the upper right hand side NO
10. cold start issues/kangarooing AS said above
11. most recently, my standard seat support mechanism has broken and the whole seat is all flimsy. NO

Do I still enjoy my car? Yes. - yes

Would I buy another renault? No. - I'd like to own an R26 sometime in the near future

White clique
actually something i have just started to notice is a flat spot between 3000-3500 rpm when i am pulling away (hard-ish). This happens on a hot as well as cold engine. Anyone else noticed this on thiers? :S

White clique
i've just got my 197 back from Renault today to get them to look at a few bits - the results were:-

Lumpy idling at flatspot at 2-3k rpm - There is a software patch due out for this issue in about 2 months to resolve this
Cluncky Gearbox - They said it was a characteristic
Squeeky Brakes - They said to "watch this space" as new softer compund brakes may be on the way, there have been a few probs with the standard set up but no official word on whether there will be replacements under warranty - although they did have a big brake issue with Lagunas which resulted in new brakes to those who complained - discs, pads and calipers!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
The older gearboxes are crap they dont even make them any more and we fit the ones with the better gear ratios. we have done 3 at our dealership.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mines fine. Think mechnical sympthy FTW tbh........ Re squeeking brakes.... why do people call this a fault lol????? You want decent brakes, well the trade off is harder more agressive compounds that will squeek a little...... Hardly the end of the world????

Clio F1 R27
The older gearboxes are crap they dont even make them any more and we fit the ones with the better gear ratios. we have done 3 at our dealership.

When you say the old gearboxes are crap, do you mean there are two different types of gearbox builds? I'm not referring to the difference in ratios as there's hardly any difference in the two.

3 MPS
only faults on my 06 plate are, the door sensors(same problen on my 225) and the climate a/c makes i grinding noise after a bit of use, but think for fix the dash has to come out, would rather just turn up stero than get dash taken out, car has done nearly 13k

on the plus side the exhaust is getting louder all the time and sounds just brilliant

Clio sport 197 f1 R27
I have an 07 R27 with only 1800 miles on the clock. I am guessing its the 1st edition gearbox thats installed at the moment. Do you think a replacment gearbox will only happen if there is problem with it.. Or will i take it in and ask about it

I was also expecting a bit more MPG it never seems to move of 24.9 even if i am driving like my mother. anyone else got this

thanks

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
There is nothing wrong with the first gearbox....... a few were faulty, thats it. Mines fine on a 06 plate. His comments have been taken the wrong way

White clique
Mines fine. Think mechnical sympthy FTW tbh........ Re squeeking brakes.... why do people call this a fault lol????? You want decent brakes, well the trade off is harder more agressive compounds that will squeek a little...... Hardly the end of the world????
Brakes are only really meant to squeek when they reach the point that they are due to be replaced, as the squeek noise is a designed indicator that the pads have worn to their minimum level - hence having a squeek constantly wont be that helpful in determining when the pads need changing! But my reason for geting the garage to check it was to ensure there were no issues with the disc or pad quality, and they have given them the green light so i'm happy with that :)