ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Computer has finally died :(

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Had a "new" motherboard installed about 5 years back. It's been getting slightly slower recently and today went all blue screen of death. Restarting it only led to it trying to boot up/repair to no avail.

Took it to the local PC shop who said the hard drive is showing 98% and its shagged. He recommended throwing a SSD 120GB in and he will put Windows 10 on it for £140.00. He then checked the processor and said it is an i3 costarica dual core, so probably not worth fixing. He had a "rebuilt" tower with a quad core, 120gb ssd and 1tb normal drive he could let me have for £150 but theb I'd need a graphics card if I really wanted to run dual screens.

Really don't know what to do now.

Attachments

• DSC_6029.JPG
    DSC_6029.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_6050.JPG
    DSC_6050.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_6051.JPG
    DSC_6051.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_6055.JPG
    DSC_6055.JPG
    819.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_6053.JPG
    DSC_6053.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 145

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you can wait 2 weeks I'll ship you out a good condition full tower with a graphics card mate

There nowt special but its my old work one, has a 3rd or 5th gen i5 and if you need a few hard drives I've got some spare I'll never use. Honestly ive got old s**t PC and server parts out my arse from breaking loads

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Update - Lad I know managed to slip me in an SSD at 240gb and put windows 10 on for me. All fixed for the princely sum of £50. Massive thanks to @Yorkshire Pudding for the offer, really appreciate it bud. When ripping it apart, I found out it's running an I3 dual core costarica CPU. I didn't bother upgrading that just yet, because it's not really getting used for anything hardcore. Although it is on my mind whether to change it out..... I should probably slap a bit more thermal paste on there too.
DSC_6060.JPG

He also sorted out the wifes laptop and put Windows & on that because it was still running Vista :LOL: Only thing now is I need to find the external HDD that I backed hers up to with all the baby pics etc on it. I could have sworn it was in the laptop case :unsure:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Glad you got it sorted mate, if you need any bits drop me a message. I've got a full drawer unit in my office at home full of stuff😂

I don't know whether I will still need a graphics card if it starts doing that fuzzy screen s**t again. My monitors currently run DVI and VGA and both work fine, just sometimes it goes all weird, but I think I might be overloading it with youtube or something.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know whether I will still need a graphics card if it starts doing that fuzzy screen s**t again. My monitors currently run DVI and VGA and both work fine, just sometimes it goes all weird, but I think I might be overloading it with youtube or something.
I've got a couple of 1GB cards, let me know what motherboard you've got and I'll see if it'll work when I'm back

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
SSD + windows 10 £140??? WTF is he smoking!?

LGA1150? Drop a 4770k/4790k in there ffs.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Ahhh, I see.

I mean, is it really worth upgrading the CPU to run a remote work system and watch a bit of youtube? I don't game on it, I don't stream films on it at night time etc, it's literally sat in the office during the day and then doesn't get touched.

And, if I did swap the CPU out, can I just swap the CPU myself for one that fits? Or would I need someone to do anything else, settings, files and s**t like that?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Out - in. But for what you do, probably over-kill.
I'd be a little concerned at the cooling efficiency of an i7 in there. I know they aren't exempt from laptops, but for a system designed to cool a little dual-core i3 - it's a big step up.

He'd probably have a laptop sounding like Concorde the instant he opened Google up.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I'd be a little concerned at the cooling efficiency of an i7 in there. I know they aren't exempt from laptops, but for a system designed to cool a little dual-core i3 - it's a big step up.

He'd probably have a laptop sounding like Concorde the instant he opened Google up.

My tower case has 6 fans on it 😂 it s**t my secretary up the other day when I fired it up

BMW M4; S1000 RR
SSD + windows 10 £140??? WTF is he smoking!?

LGA1150? Drop a 4770k/4790k in there ffs.

Doesn't sound bad for a computer drop off service IMO

If you're selling services to strangers you can hardly offer pirate versions and that's very much like saying "£150 to change brake pads on a Clio?!?! WTF". It's a service and services cost money.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So, @Yorkshire Pudding kindly sent me over so some graphics cards. I've installed an Azus jobbie, and it seems to be working. But, it's just froze and did a clicky clicky clicky through the speakers. No fuzzy screens, but just jammed. I think the CPU is ballsed. Checked the temps and it's running around 64deg celcius normally, but when I whack youtube on and try to access my HD, it fires up to 77, and then cuts. So I think I need to upgrade that.

Again, can anyone recommend something I can literally swap out that isn't going to break the bank. The CPU has a fan on top of it already and ALL the fans running on the PC full chat

Temp73.jpg

DSC_6758.JPG

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've just had this issue with Windows 10 update - kept crashing, thought it was graphics card but wasn't. I stepped back the update and it works now like a charm. Everything I know pointed at hardware - but it was the OS.

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
have a look at why its crashing - if you go to start menu and start typing "reliability history" you should be able to see all the times its crashed and why. Mine was some kernal error when i looked into it.

If you type "view update history" in your start menu you should have option to uninstall updates.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Soooooo, I took the heatsink off, cleaned off old paste as it was patchy as f**k. Put fresh paste on, put it all back together, and now it just trips out when I try to turn it on. The fans spin and within a second it just cuts out. Great.

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Soooooo, I took the heatsink off, cleaned off old paste as it was patchy as f**k. Put fresh paste on, put it all back together, and now it just trips out when I try to turn it on. The fans spin and within a second it just cuts out. Great.
As Yorkshire Pudding says - just reseat everything. Have to had the cpu out from its socket - you don't need lots of heatsink paste to be honest.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Seems I had forgotten that I unplugged the power cables for the CPU 😂 All back together now and working. Seems to be holding temps better on the processor too, so fingers crossed that's the glitch fixed, otherwise I'm likely to hoy it out of the window on the M62 and let an Amazon lorry smash it to bits.

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
have you tried looking to see why its crashing - viewed reliability history from the start menu?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Not yet. Mainly because I haven't a clue how to access it, or what I would be looking for 😂

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
go to bottom left of screen - click where it says "type here to search" then start typing: reliability history , then you should see an option to it in the list.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Oh my god. Fuckin f**k this piece of s**t PC. Triggers broom bunch of b****cks. Just frozen again doing the clicky clicky noise through the speakers. The temps for the processor had been stable at 42deg.

I honestly don't know what else it could be and I'm getting frustrated with it now.

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I am saying it might be nothing to do with the hardware - all you need to do is what i said and you will know what the problem is.