ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CONFESS!! WHO BOUGHT IT

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=199144838http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=199144838

in derbyshire....I sent the guy £100 deposit and he promised to keep it for me...I arranged to have time off work today to go and see it and the MOFO just txt me saying its been sold for £6,100...GRRRRR

How low can you be to back out after we agreed and I left a cash deposit etc.

Who bought it??????

Anyway, ive got the day off today and got CASH waiting, so who is gonna sell me their mk2 clio 172????????

Matt

Legally the car is yours mate. You do realise that?

The whole point of leaving a deposit is as "consideration" for him holding onto the car for you for a set time.

ITR UKDC2

dude i wouldnt stand for that!

thats out of order!!!!:mad:

demand your money back!!

the only way he can keep it is if YOU back out!

hes sending the money back, but im FOOKE off as I bought train tickets and had time off work etc etc.

ARRGHHH!!!!!!!

anyone know of ANY clio 172 mk 2 for sale??? I got 6k to spend...want to get one TODAY!!

Matt

Id at least "suggest" to him that the car was legally yours and he should reimburse you for your travel expenses.

Hes effectively broken a contract and it would be straightforward to claim costs in the small claims court.

Other than that - some people are proper arses, sorry to hear this. Just dont rush into buying one that isnt what you want/deserve/would like.

Octavia VRS

You should give him a bill for train fares as well mate, no way stand for that. Even tell him that you are considering going to a lawyer if he doesnt pay your expenses. Seller seems like a c**k!

Not a Clio

ive never handed over a deposit without getting something in writing to ackowledge that the car is being held for me and not to be sold to anyone else.

Read too many of these stories!

don't

mate youve lost of £100 of your own cash

train tickets and a day off work, demand some money off him for wasting your time and your expenses, take it he knew youd gone to all the trouble etc?

id deff kick off about it as hes just taking the p!ss

Quote: Originally posted by _simon_ on 26 July 2005

ive never handed over a deposit without getting something in writing to ackowledge that the car is being held for me and not to be sold to anyone else.

Simon

In handing over a deposit, you automatically have something called "intent to create legal relations". Effectively you dont need a bit of paper. The only point would be that you should usually stipulate a date by which the full amount is to be paid.

In this instance, the deposit is as good as buying the car with the full amount there and then in effect. The payment of the rest of the money is not what buys the car, its just what completes the contract.

In taking this deposit, he agreed to keep the car for a certain time and effectively this chap bought the car in doing so.

The fact is that the "least" he is owed, is his expenses, which is no less than what a court would award him.

ITR UKDC2

Quote: Originally posted by mr_merc on 26 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by _simon_ on 26 July 2005

In this instance, the deposit is as good as buying the car with the full amount there and then in effect. The payment of the rest of the money is not what buys the car, its just what completes the contract.

In taking this deposit, he agreed to keep the car for a certain time and effectively this chap bought the car in doing so.

The fact is that the "least" he is owed, is his expenses, which is no less than what a court would award him.

Yup right again Mr_merc..............i remember the lecture in shipping Law about contracts.

contracts can be just verbal !

(@ Zorba - Im training to be a solicitor in the long run and currently working as an Employment Paralegal)

Contracts can be verbal - yes (with the notable exception of land iirc).

That said, its proving the contract was made, if it was verbal that can be a problem. In this instance it would be straightforward as the contract is implied by their actions (acceptance of the deposit as "consideration" for the chap keeping the car for him either until he refuses it or completes the contract), so the "bit of paper" is largely irrelevant although can help to create the bigger picture.

Regardless of finding another car - the least you should get off the guy is reimbursing for the general pissing about and travel expenses.

Mini Cooper S sport

Cant believe how many silver 172s are for sale!

Dont worry about it - if he was the kind of bloke whod do that, maybe he lied about the condition of the car.

Youll find another one just as good (and black is a bugger to keep clean anyway!).

Black Gold 182

the silver one for £6k with 27000k miles has been in a crash and repaired....i went to look at that one !

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 26 July 2005

Cant believe how many silver 172s are for sale!

Dont worry about it - if he was the kind of bloke whod do that, maybe he lied about the condition of the car.

Id have to agree with that ^ .. I also believe in fate! If something isnt meant to be, theres a very good reason for it!

You could have drivin that right under the wheels of a truck on the way home and be long gone mate if you bought it, this guy done you a favour imo!

Something better will come along, it always works out for the best... every time! :)