ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Conrod Destroys Pug Engine!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
A guy i work with had to abandon his 406 Diesel in a layby on the A3 yesterday morning citing a major oil and coolant leak.
We retrieved the car with a trailer and went about putting it on a ramp to inspect the underneath.
It turns out one of the conrods had decided to leave the engine at about 80mph and 3500rpm, and seeing as there really isn't a hole big enough to fit a conrod it decided to create its own....well 3 of them actually.
The pics tell the story!
View attachment 25266
Bottom of the sump. Hole goes all the way from one side of the sump gasket to the other.
View attachment 25267
Here you can see the rather lonely big end minus its conrod.
View attachment 25268
Pic from the bulkhead side of the crankcase. Big end is upside down showing where the conrod sheared off!
View attachment 25269
Pic from the front of the crankcase. It did so much damage that its literally split the gearbox from the engine....you can move the gearbox around.
View attachment 25270
Where it decided to thump the starter motor on the way out. It then sheared a coolant pipe before leaving the engine bay and bouncing off down the carriageway!

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The amazing thing is he had to turn OFF the engine when he pulled over. It was still running apparently!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I was pretty amazed to see that much damage if im honest. I know there is alot of energy involved when something like that lets go but to split an engine from the gearbox.....thats somethin else!

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Did this once grass tracking with a fiesta apart from the rod left through the front of the block.

Mondeo TDCI 130
I changed an engine in one of those last week! Same problem! they seem fairly common for it!