ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2009 Honda Civic Type R GT

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Going back to standard?
Yeah. Combination of - couldn't really afford it anyway and I like the silence of stock for an everyday car, just didn't like the quality of the stock system as it's flat in 3 places. Was an itch I had to scratch and was available locally so thought I'd try it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yeah. Combination of - couldn't really afford it anyway and I like the silence of stock for an everyday car, just didn't like the quality of the stock system as it's flat in 3 places. Was an itch I had to scratch and was available locally so thought I'd try it.

Is it really loud and droney? Can you hear it when driving round normally? What’s it like on startup?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is it really loud and droney? Can you hear it when driving round normally? What’s it like on startup?
Cold start up is very noticeable! Warm start up it's deeper but subtle.
In traffic at standstill it's as silent as stock. When opening the throttle is the only time you hear it really, it does resonate from the back in the boot when doing so, maybe down to the cavernous boot and lack of sound deadening?
To be honest it's the quietest aftermarket exhaust I've heard, but I thought it would be almost stock like but less restrictive as the bends are done properly and it has 4 silencers like stock. The boxes are a tad smaller tho which gives it the slight volume increase.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I got in the Civic yesterday and couldn't figure out if it was on.. its quiet compared to the bike [emoji23]
Are proper quiet as stock. Which I kinda got used to, it's underrated, lolz.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Lol eyeshadow they are quite. Sound ok when on the boil though. Apparently a vast improvement over the sound of an EP3

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I take it on yours it's also like a pogo stick on the throttle? It's weird, reminds me of the M3 when it was cold and the clutch/gearbox/bearing thing made it like a kangaroo low down

Also torque steer gets on my tits. Only really driven the MX-5 for months so not used to FWD yet again

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I take it on yours it's also like a pogo stick on the throttle? It's weird, reminds me of the M3 when it was cold and the clutch/gearbox/bearing thing made it like a kangaroo low down

Also torque steer gets on my tits. Only really driven the MX-5 for months so not used to FWD yet again
Not so much that but there's a definite lag in response and first to 2nd shifts can be mega jerky when cold. A map will sort but another 500 quid. It's not a huge prob for driving to work and back, just another niggle. Would defo sort it for track.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm not looking to fix it, figured it was just a characteristic. Also don't like the lag when you change gear, because the gearbox doesn't like being rushed. At all. So if you're kicking its head in, there's a noticeable lag between changes otherwise the synchro doesn't seem to line up and you can't change gear

That's mainly an issue because riding a motorbike a lot of the time and changing gears quickly is fun

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Yes, when it’s cold it’s very jumpy. Smooths out once warm though. Presume it’s something to do with the choke.

It does tend to track but I presume that’s more down to the hard suspension rather than the torque...because there is none lol. Mines not too bad though and my LCR was worse. May be yours needs it’s geometry looking at?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Probably does, but as long as the wheels turn and the cars stops, it's having nowt special done to it! It's not pulling drastically, not even like a 172, just noticeable because of all the RWD driving

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yeah I'm not looking to fix it, figured it was just a characteristic. Also don't like the lag when you change gear, because the gearbox doesn't like being rushed. At all. So if you're kicking its head in, there's a noticeable lag between changes otherwise the synchro doesn't seem to line up and you can't change gear

That's mainly an issue because riding a motorbike a lot of the time and changing gears quickly is fun

The S2000 has a module that protects the gearbox if you (accidentally) borderline flat shift. If makes the clutch slip, very strange sensation and catches you by surprise if you’re thrashing the tits off it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

100% no question that the shift in the ep3 and presumably dc5 is better. However the steering in the fn is unbelievable better, I'd even say the eps in the fn2 is better than the eps in the r26. Mine actually doesn't like changing gear slowly rather than thrashing it! Not sure how synchros work but again, it doesn't feel the same as the ep.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Probably does, but as long as the wheels turn and the cars stops, it's having nowt special done to it! It's not pulling drastically, not even like a 172, just noticeable because of all the RWD driving

RWD is so much more rewarding. Arguably not as quick A-B as you have to take it slightly easier on throttle but much more enjoyable

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
RWD is so much more rewarding. Arguably not as quick A-B as you have to take it slightly easier on throttle but much more enjoyable
Would love a go in an s2k. My mates selling a mega clean one in a blue colour.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Would love a go in an s2k. My mates selling a mega clean one in a blue colour.

Definitely. Bold claim but other than the NSX it’s the best car Honda have ever made. Especially if you’re a VTEC fanboi.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Mechanic still can't get me a price for this valve thing behind the dash.. he reckons it's going to be roughly 400 quid just to fit + supply that, and then if there's still an issue (with the compressor) it's going to be more money.

So knocking fixing that on the head and it'll be gone as soon as I have the time/energy free to put it up for sale. It's not worth enough to me to bother fixing it, plus I could do with what little cash is in the car to go towards the house moving fund

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Toying with the idea of one of these for my daily 4 mile work drive and abit of weekend fun. Reviews are so indifferent though. I liked my EP3 but they abit long in the tooth now.

Issues aside would you recommend?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Toying with the idea of one of these for my daily 4 mile work drive and abit of weekend fun. Reviews are so indifferent though. I liked my EP3 but they abit long in the tooth now.

Lolz

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I just want trouble free second hand motoring. Really want a 330d touring but dont do the mileage to warrant and bills scare me. Pointless running a 330i for my mileage. Something Honda seems sensible. Was originally looking at type s’ but for the price I may aswell spend a couple of K more for an R.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

If you liked your EP3 you will like an FN2. Much better car. I hate everything so I'm no good for a review of a car

In keeping the car news, 125 quid for an interim service. It stays until it dies. Going to install an icebox in the passenger footwell

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive had mine for the last 8yrs and 70.000 miles and it still puts a smile on my face. I love how docile it is in traffic but you can still rev it when you want.
And its the most reliable car ive ever owned.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Car is now serviced (£125)

Mechanic discovered a cut across the tread of one of the front tyres that seems to have been there a while, and the MOT completely missed. Delightful. So that'll be 2 more P Zero's to go with the 2 I've just had put on the rear

The other thing he said was that the oil smelled a bit too much like petrol, so hopefully the car doesn't just explode.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
2 new tyres ordered from Camskill (Uniroyal Rainsport, they were a lot cheaper than P Zeros)

Also needs a new battery because the one on there is proper fucked now, not even the Ctek is going to keep it alive for long

Euros have a sale though.. so that's 54 quid, not the worst

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
2 new tyres ordered from Camskill (Uniroyal Rainsport, they were a lot cheaper than P Zeros)

Also needs a new battery because the one on there is proper fucked now, not even the Ctek is going to keep it alive for long

Euros have a sale though.. so that's 54 quid, not the worst
Has been stood a while to be fair. And you probs left the auto wipers and lights on 'auto'? Mine needed a new one last year

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Has been stood a while to be fair. And you probs left the auto wipers and lights on 'auto'? Mine needed a new one last year
Yep, lights were definitely left set to auto (probably still are)

Just picked up the new battery so will fit that tomorrow (or when I can be bothered)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why would that make any difference to anything ?!
Do you turn the radio off, the HVAC and the heated seats to 'off' every time you get out too ?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
^ What Dan said

The mechanic also said its very clean underneath for a 9 year old Jap car, I'm sure someone else will like the car in the future