ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2009 Honda Civic Type R GT

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
As a track car I can imagine it's fantastic once set up properly. Billiard table smooth tarmac is about all you'd want to cope with, hah.
Yeah, on a smooth road they're great. Down a bumpy b road you need to hang on for dear life. When buying, check the roof lining for head marks and steering wheel for finger indents. Lolz

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Out of interest how does it compare with the ST220 from a drivers perspective? I can imagine the ST was a heavy lump so not as enjoyable on the boil but far better to live with day to day?

I was amazed at how agile my old ST220 felt. Once you were making progress, even down tiny little lanes, it never felt like the big car it was. It was a really confidence inspiring car. There are roads that I would drive that down way faster than I would have the balls to drive my Clio.

Was the main reason we got rid of our 1.8. Why Honda though the ride was acceptable is beyond me. I would have the FN2 type r in a heart beat if it didn't rattle your teeth out. The ep3 was fine as well, had that for over 5 years without complaint.

Yeah FN2s are harsh as hell not sure what they were thinking

Pedestrian protection played a big part in it I'm told. The bonnet drops away quickly and, in order to make it pedestrian friendly, they were forced to run the turrets low, not giving much scope for suspension travel. That's what I was told by a guy who had done some ride/handling work on them anyway.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The dampers are Sachs so not your average shite.

I think it’s the spring stiffness.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I was amazed at how agile my old ST220 felt. Once you were making progress, even down tiny little lanes, it never felt like the big car it was. It was a really confidence inspiring car. There are roads that I would drive that down way faster than I would have the balls to drive my Clio.

Pedestrian protection played a big part in it I'm told. The bonnet drops away quickly and, in order to make it pedestrian friendly, they were forced to run the turrets low, not giving much scope for suspension travel. That's what I was told by a guy who had done some ride/handling work on them anyway.

You're a fountain of trivia lol! Interesting to know

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The dampers are Sachs so not your average shite.

I think it’s the spring stiffness.

That's not unusual though. Most OEMs will use aftermarket suppliers for that sort of thing. However, it's all done to a cost. Having worked in the business, and knowing others who do, even some of the most premium car makers don't have the greatest understanding of choosing the best spring/damper/bush rates, hence why they often go to the likes of Lotus to help them tune their cars.

As I said, the big problem with the CIvic is apparently packaging a suitably long spring/damper combo to give an acceptable ride. According to the guy I spoke to, it's pretty much on the bump stops at the front, even at ride height. The stiffness is a consequence of that it seems.

You're a fountain of trivia lol! Interesting to know

Or a fountain of nonsense, depending on your point of view lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Surely some progressive springs like Eibachs will help, providing they don't lower the car any?
Got them on mine (proline). Bit less crashy but just as firm still. Folk buy coilovers and set them to soft to improve the ride lolz

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Personally I think it’s the nicest looking civic ever made. I can remember when it came out and most weren’t keen. The standard FN civic does look trash though.

I’ve just washed mine. Still looks fresh nearly 10 years on.

7ddd43056c870ec2993434ac3f2973f9.jpg

6b73c2f3c2b4491a2e1ac4f6ddd6a376.jpg

Swift Sport
Yeah I've always liked the look. They've aged well, mostly because the styling was a bit ahead of its time.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So I ordered new tyres for the piece of s**t (for the rear). Tyres turn up (with the man from Kwik Fit). Wrong size. I didn't check closely enough and some c**t has fit 235/40/18 all round rather than 225. Arseholes!

Waiting for a call back from Kwik Fit now to find out how much more its going to cost me.. looking like an extra 25 quid a tyre based on their site. FFS.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So I ordered new tyres for the piece of s**t (for the rear). Tyres turn up (with the man from Kwik Fit). Wrong size. I didn't check closely enough and some c**t has fit 235/40/18 all round rather than 225. Arseholes!

Waiting for a call back from Kwik Fit now to find out how much more its going to cost me.. looking like an extra 25 quid a tyre based on their site. FFS.
Surely not? 225 should be cheaper

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah right. Mine are 225/40.

The meg was 235 but fn is 225 as standard

Last owner on a mad one

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right. Mine are 225/40.

The meg was 235 but fn is 225 as standard

Last owner on a mad one
People are weapons. Booked in again on Thursday, they could have done tomorrow but I'm having to attend an office :(

45 quid extra total. Annoying, but not the end of the world.. once that's done I'll find somewhere to fix the AC and give it a service. Probably won't be for a few weeks now.. good thing the car doesn't get used much anyway

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
New tyres finally fitted today.. car might move next week at some point. If I want to go out and have fun on the roads, I'm taking the bike 100% of the time over the car. Even if I had a car I liked a lot more, with the state of the driving on the roads I'd still take the bike!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's finally getting it's aircon looked at again today, so obviously the battery is dead. Genuinely the worst car I've ever owned, even worse than the Golf.

That said it's not moved since the middle of July, and has barely gone anywhere since May, maybe, so not a surprise.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It's finally getting it's aircon looked at again today, so obviously the battery is dead. Genuinely the worst car I've ever owned, even worse than the Golf.

That said it's not moved since the middle of July, and has barely gone anywhere since May, maybe, so not a surprise.

Lol you can’t blame the car for the flat battery. Any car battery would have been dead after a month.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Lol you can’t blame the car for the flat battery. Any car battery would have been dead after a month.
True! I can still blame the car though

Handy that the mechanic is coming soon.. he can jump it. I took my jump leads out of the garage and they look borderline unsafe ? so not trying to end up in hospital

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
True! I can still blame the car though

Handy that the mechanic is coming soon.. he can jump it. I took my jump leads out of the garage and they look borderline unsafe [emoji23] so not trying to end up in hospital

Haha! Check the seal coming off the condenser, it’s prone to deterioration.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ha yeah they seem to like batteries. First week of owning mine I got stranded at the top of saddleworth moor. Was ace.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
That's right, fix the aircon ready for Autumn..?
Well I haven't bothered to get it fixed during the heatwave.. so perfect timing really. It's still not going to see much use until the bike disappears for the winter!

The wife's MX-5 has been perfectly fine for all the driving I've needed to do. I should buy a Boxster in the winter

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So Fabio from Motortech has been and gone (for now, thanks @Sunglasses_Ron)

So far he's diagnosed its not a leak, the relay is fine, he doesn't think its the condenser but its definitely a blockage somewhere. He thinks in an expansion valve, so he's going to look into it and get back to me with a fix and a price

Every time the system is activating its creating a vacuum, and f**k all gas is moving. He's never seen it do it in a Honda before apparently, I'm very special.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Is that the ballache part that's fitted behind the dash?
After a quick google, yes, that appears to be the case!

Also like a dildo I don't keep cash on me so when I said how much would this initial bit be he said sort him out with a drink.. opened wallet.. nothing but cards and receipts ?. What's a drink nowadays? 20-30 quid?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I have found mine super reliable and it doesn't rust like 99% of other golfs and leon@s and the likes.
I'm having mine unsersealed next week. Under the back box is just bare metal and starting to show a bit of the dirty rust.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im sure there are a couple of areas around the car but even the exposed metal is just like surface rust.

Ive not seen any rot on mine at all and I reckon I wax it once a year lol.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Im sure there are a couple of areas around the car but even the exposed metal is just like surface rust.

Ive not seen any rot on mine at all and I reckon I wax it once a year lol.
Just being over cautious as my ep needed a spot of welding this year.
Also, I might be taking the TODA off already, ha. So two birds one stone and all that