ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup 172 wont start!!!

Clio sport
My 172 53 plate cup wont start. I was advised a few weeks ago when it didnt start to turn the ignition over one click so the radio etc came on for 5 seconds, then to turn it off and then to fully start - worked perfectly. Now, ive just got in, done the same and it wont start. After 5 seconds of holding the ignition on full it cuts out. Also the rev counter shakes up and down whilst im doing this. Turned it off. Left it for 5 mins, tried again - same thing happened. HELP?!

Clio sport
I didnt have time to try anything this morning. But i have had dead battieries on previous vehicles but this feels different. I will try jump leads when i have time. It didnt cut out the same as it does when you have a dead battery. It was clicking and the petrol gauge, speedo and rev counter dropped. Everytime i went to re-start it, it tried everytime. Usually when you have a dead battery, after a few attempts it just fails miserably! And doesnt even tick over. Anything to do with the spark plugs? Pressure valve? First time it started....but instantly cut out.

Clio sport
Alternators expensive job?! I will try and jump start it. If that works i will look at getting a new battery fitted.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Had a similar problem on mine a few weeks back and it was just a bad earth from the battery. Cleaned up the original and also ran an auxillary one to back it up and havent had a problem since.

Clio sport
Tried a power start up pack and that didnt start it.

Funnily enough 'Mick at Diamond Motors' has been reccomened to me, i dont think i will be paying for his service now. Couldnt trust a rude little child to work on any of my vehicles.

How did you find the faulty earth cable?! Cheers

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Couldnt trust a rude little child to work on any of my vehicles.

Rofl, have you actually ever met Mick, or researched his reputation on the forum? if there was ever a person I would ever trust with a car it would be him.

Clio sport
He has come reccomended to me from a few people, expensive, but a professional. I have never met him no. Im sure i am wrong, and that he is a proper nice bloke, who works wonders with Renaults. Im just a bit stressed. Sorry. Want to get my car working. I have numerous vehicles and this one is causing me Jip thats all.

Thank you, i will look for anything obvious. Cheers. Again sorry Mick im sure you are a delight :)

Clio sport
Found an open ended connection in the engine bay, It is taped to the bonnet release cable on the passenger side and is hanging between the battery, front light and engine fuse board. It is a circular connection and i cant seem to find where it will plug into?! Would it be this that is stopping the car from starting?!

thanks, again sorry if i upset anyone.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
that circular connector sounds like it could be for the bonnet sensor for the alarm?

Clio sport
Ive got the engine started. I cant seem to be able to put pictures up. Me and digital technology don't mix. I cant find anything for it to slot into, its a double black cable with a round connector on the end, that runs along the bonnet release cable towards the front lights. It was dangling down. Not sure whether it goes too the engine bay fuse board or hangs down towards the lighting unit? or somewhere else?!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
there should be a little plunger type switch with a similar size cylindrical base/plug on the bottom attached the slam panel/above headlight around that area

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
172 Cups don't alway have the bonnet open/close switch but it is 100% for this.

You also tend to find people just disconnect them and throw the switch away when a faulty switch causes false triggers for example.

Clio sport
It was turning over fine, but not firing. Connection on coil pack wasnt on right. Pushed it back on, fired up straight away.