ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup - oil change query

done just over 5k and want to change the oil. I know I need to remove the undertray, but can anyone tell me what I need to remove the sump plug - is it a conventional socket set job or one of the continental things (ie: like some of the fittings for the interior panels, etc). If its one of the latter, what the hell are these called and what size bit do I need for the sump plug (will save me scrabbling around underneath while at Halfords trying to get right size).

Cheers.

scooby stu, if you read frog, I can direct you to a site with a step by step guide including photos etc.

have a look at http://www.rs-team.orgwww.rs-team.org click on "entretien" on the left hand side, then find huile - vidange and follow the steps.

have fun with the oil filter (...)

is it deffo the 8mm square plug............it rings a bell, think thats what my 95 RSi needed.

Ive had conflicting advice on this for the 172...........anyone else ?

Cheers.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Of course if you were a ClioSport member you could read Ivans complete DIY guide on changing oil on 172/Cup, complete with pictures.

8mm square plug sounds familiar to me too!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the 172 sump plug is the same size as all other renaults have always been.remove the engine undertray and the injection rail cover(large alloy bracket on the front of the engine which is held on by two 10 or 13m nuts up the centre holes on the cover).you can now get to the oil filter ok.

So sump plug is 8mm square fitment then ?

Guy at local dealer insists its an allen key type fit thats needed to remove it (though this is Camden were talking about).

I havent checked coz Id rather not be scrabbling around underneath and taking bits off just to check what tools I need.

Cheers.

Yes its a square plug as apposed to a hexagonal allen key !! and mine is 8mm so would have thought yours would be the same !! They are only a couple of quid from any spares place !!

Theres no point !! You need the key to get the old one off anyway !! And you should just buy the plug and washer from renualt coz theyre only cheap !!