ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Packs, The final arguement

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio
I have read all the previous posts on the forum regarding insurace and cup packs. What do i do, declare something that isn't truly a modification or keep quite.

I know there is mixed opinions, but whats the general feeling?

I could set up a poll, but to be honest i haven't a clue how.

Ant

Black 182 w/ cup packs
The general feeling will be that of mixed opinions!
It didn't even occur to me that cup packs should be declared until I starting reading threads on this/renaultsport site. The Renaultsport "panel of experts" stated that cup packs were modifications and should be declared (well it is a suspension upgrade after all). For the sake of £60 increase and any hassle/bullsh*t if I wrote my car off, I declared them. Part of the problem is the total lack of clue by anyone you speak to at an insurance company when shopping around - Direct line tried to increase my insurance from £350 to £570.

I'd deem them as modifications but there no need to then again I'd change the suspension anyway so it would be modified.
I think Renault Uk don't deem them as a modification though so no need to tell insurance as its a UK spec normal car for a dealer.

I didn't feel the need to tell the insurance about cup packs?

Plus you'll find that the majority of 182's have cup packs anyway.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
You do not have to declare as its fitted from the factory. If you buy a BMW or Audi and spec sport suspenion YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DELARE why do people go so anal about it and say you must do it for for the clio...Why ?

Using that rational then you need to tell them the whole spec - SAT NAV / Leather / Parking sensors.....No

Black 182 w/ cup packs
^when I was shopping around + Direct line were being ars*holes, I tried Privilege as they gave the lowest online quote. The guy I spoke to was really helpful, tried to insure the car as a cup until we came up with too many differences. Anyway, he read out his list of options as he saw them on-screen to try to keep the quote down, one was "factory fitted suspension modification" which is what we settled on - hence £60 increase in total insurance (different alloys/spoilers declared as well). As I said above, one of the Renault UK guys on Renaultsport website advised declaring them as modifications. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter one bit, but I'm paranoid about these things...

EVOgone said:
You do not have to declare as its fitted from the factory. If you buy a BMW or Audi and spec sport suspenion YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DELARE why do people go so anal about it and say you must do it for for the clio...Why ?

Using that rational then you need to tell them the whole spec - SAT NAV / Leather / Parking sensors.....No

NAIL HEAD BANG!!!!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I had to declare stripes though and they came fitted from Renault?!

Black/Gold 182
EVOgone said:

well I tried that argument with Bell Direct and with Direct Line. Both said you had to declare it. For me I just wanted to know I was insured in case of a claim (even if not my fault). What you lot do and what risks you are prepared to take is up to you.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
JBarber said:
well I tried that argument with Bell Direct and with Direct Line. Both said you had to declare it. For me I just wanted to know I was insured in case of a claim (even if not my fault). What you lot do and what risks you are prepared to take is up to you.

If you enter the conversation with them they use any excuse to get more money. Just insure your car and if it gets robbed then they have to replace to the same spec...

Just say its a 182..end of

Last edited by a moderator:
  VaVa
They are factory fitted.... but they should have the 182 and the 182 Cupped on their system as separate cars.

IMHO, and in simple terms, the Anthracite Alloys ( which change on top of the suspension don't forget) and the Spoilers are more likely to make the car more attractice to thieves. Thus the insurers will want to load up your premium.

Ford Fiesta
most insurers ive looked at online dont list cars properly at all.
If you say cupped 182 they will put it down as a 182 cup not a 182 with cup packs.
One of them ive seen just listed it under dynamique models as 182 "sport"

172 gone :( 197 now :)
There's no way id declare fitted options to my car. The companies just want your money! Ive just paid 50 pound on my premium for a front splitter for god's sake! Wish id never said anything, but was a bit paranoid about telling them id taken it offwhen i found out when i hadnt. They absolutely clueless they wont know what the cup packs are and will jus want to rip you off! Would you declare optional alloys on another car? Fog lights? Sod that!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
When looking for quotations for 182, i spoke to numerous numpties . . . most of them female i might add :quiet:

A lot of companies, Direct Line wouldnt insure it as apparently the cup pack made it 'modified' and as i was under 25 they wouldnt insure it.

Other companies suggested that even though they were a manufacturer fitted item they were still a modification - some places wanted an extra 350 quid for the 'spoilers and lowering' for example.

I then quizzed them on this point, ie 'so your telling me if i had different floor mats and a sunroof fitted from the factory i would have to declare it as a modification?'

Answer: yes, they modifications arent they!

Conclusion: most telesales numpties in insurance are indeed numpties.

Conclusion part 2: play dumb, its a fast clio, i dont know what spec it is :eek:

Ford Fiesta
thats just stupid isnt it. How thick are they? wonder if you order a special colour do they class that as modified?

Sir_Dave said:
When looking for quotations for 182, i spoke to numerous numpties . . . most of them female i might add :quiet:

A lot of companies, Direct Line wouldnt insure it as apparently the cup pack made it 'modified' and as i was under 25 they wouldnt insure it.

Other companies suggested that even though they were a manufacturer fitted item they were still a modification - some places wanted an extra 350 quid for the 'spoilers and lowering' for example.

I then quizzed them on this point, ie 'so your telling me if i had different floor mats and a sunroof fitted from the factory i would have to declare it as a modification?'

Answer: yes, they modifications arent they!

Conclusion: most telesales numpties in insurance are indeed numpties.

Conclusion part 2: play dumb, its a fast clio, i dont know what spec it is :eek:

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio
I mentioned it my cup packs to adrian flux when getting insurance. He said i don't need to worry as they are factory fitted options, which is classed as std spec not modified. And he confirmed it would effect my premium.

Ant

106 GTi
It seems down to individual insurance companys - some seem fine with factory options and dont load you for it. Others just want to make some quick extra bucks. All mine asked was weather it had been altered in anyway from the factory spec.