ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Cup racer' style Inlet pipe.

172, Tiguan
I've been meaning to sort this for ages, but I'm after someone knowledgable to point me in the right direction. I'm after a Cup racer style inlet pipe that will allow the airbox to be mounted sideways. It's for a PH1 though, so i need it to have a take-off for the ICV pipe to go into it. Any ideas?

Something like this, but with the take-off.

064.jpg

172, Tiguan
The pipe off the bottom of the ICV on the PH1 connects to the elbow though, i assume for air/vac reasons?

SQ5
Because its pulling in/leaking too much air. It's basically like having an inlet leak.

I've done it before. Had to block it and put the tiniest hole in the pipe, even then it idled high. So I blocked it up and used the throttle body to control the idle speed.

Actually, this may of been because the EC1 didn't control it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Because its pulling in/leaking too much air. It's basically like having an inlet leak.

Its the ISCV that determines how much air flows down that pipe, so long as its operated correctly by the ecu it wont be a problem.

I've done it before. Had to block it and put the tiniest hole in the pipe, even then it idled high. So I blocked it up and used the throttle body to control the idle speed.

Actually, this may of been because the EC1 didn't control it?

Yeah sounds like your ECU just wasnt mapped right or wasnt connected properly if it let it just swing open and stay there.

Last edited:
  SQ5
Well the car it was originally on didn't have an ICV so yes, it probably just wasn't turned on!

clio sport ph 1
I have got the cup racer style:rasp: just stick a small filter on icv with a v6 box. I think throttle respone is better . ??? Or is it the noise??? f**k it , looks cool;)

172, Tiguan
I'll probably try that route then. It's already got an Espace V6 box. I'll get hold of a small filter then and see what happens, though I might also have a look for a straight bit of tubing with a take off.

clio sport ph 1
I have fitted it direct to the throttle bodie . But I think my cams like a longer inlet .
Did somebody put a long straight pipe between it?? (and remove the relay box )

I think this improves torque on low revs ,on high revs directly to the throttle bodie is better??

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
cup racer inlet is actually like this:

gallery_64_30_600205.jpg

long inlet pipe for better power and torque. (seems familiar ;) )
F4R is all about length!!

172, Tiguan
I've bought a short (10cm) pipe with a T piece as longer bits were silly money. I'll extend it with a longer straight piece as well then. Battery is in the car, but I've still got the relays there, so room is good, but not unlimited.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd put a 20deg bend in there, should let you mount the airbox quite a bit further from thee throttle body/closer to the headlight

172, Tiguan
So I've been fiddling around with all of this and I've ended up with sorting it with the longest inlet I can get away with. To do this I've had to do away with the Espace V6 box as its just to big to fit anywhere. If the relay box was elsewhere then it might fit, but the only option with that in place was to have it like Adam showed earlier in thread and to me the inlet looked too short like that.

I've ended up with an old open filter I had knocking around in the garage, but I might replace this with a foam filter instead, though I doubt it makes much difference. What I might do next is try and partition that half of the engine bay off.

I've still got all the old stuff left, so if this turns out to be useless ill revert back!

before:

4E84F8FC-0513-4E91-9B37-8227C2933D61-11196-000005F58D2E20FB.jpg

after:

6C3074DE-D5F9-400E-866F-19FCD3BF9691-11196-000005F592685EDC.jpg

Opinions welcome!

Cup In bits
That 2nd picture you have is actually like how the cup racers ran their filters but the relay box was removed and there was a small aluminium box. The V6 box was only fitted to reduce induction noise so they could meet Db level's for some circuit's. V6 box was supposed to be slightly more restrictive, hence why you see some cup racer's with a hole in the headlight blank and ones without ran V6 box typically.

172, Tiguan
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced foam filter to replace that old one I found. Shame the car is sorn at the moment!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How you've done that is exactly how we/I have done a number of cars in the past. it's the very best you can make it IMO. That's exactly what we used to do with the high compression and big single throttle body cars going back 4 years or more. Always worked a treat. I'd look at a filter with an integrated trumpet in it's neck, makes a difference. Pipercross do a couple of nice versions that would work well. I'll check the prices and sizes

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
Thanks Dan. Please do.

I've ordered a large foam Ramair filter as a make-do for the time being. It was only £20 delivered, so i'll give that a whirl. It's long enough to do away with the extra join (the blue pipe) as the metal joiner pipe is pushed in a few cm at the moment - so it'll all be a bit neater as well.

Itg maxogen is what I use and they have the trumpet shape on the end can be had for £50+, I'd definitely try make some form of heat shield to go on that side of the bay!

172, Tiguan
Yeah, that's the plan in the long run. There is plenty of cold air getting in there though, the car is thoroughly mucked around with and large bits of trim are missing, including all the arch liners. lol. The exhaust is also wrapped, so hopefully under bonnet heat is as low as it can be.

Hopefully going on some rollers next month, so we'll see how she's doing.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Interesting read this is:) look forward to seeing results on the rollers.

172, Tiguan
So just to tidy this all up I've fitted a foam filter. We'll see how she goes come February when it gets taxed.

6AD2E181-ABE1-4B62-B249-48657E4A53FC-12664-000006FCF756D729.jpg