ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup springs same as MK2 172 springs

MK1 and MK2 172 springs appear to be different, but are the MK2 172 springs the same as the ones on the Cup?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a cup is ever so slightly lower so that may be the only difference between the springs.its only about 10mm difference anyway.why do you ask?

The Cup is supposedly 3mm lower than the MK2 172. I remember reading something about it being the change in some angle or other that makes the car lower, not the springs.

Ive got a set of MK2 springs with only about 2000 miles wear on them, and am thinking of putting them on. Drove abbs172s Cup and the ride was softer while not rolling too much. The Spax springs ive got on make it handle really well, but the roads round here are so broken up its making the interior rattle worse than ever.

If the MK2 springs are the same as the Cup, Ill chuck em on, otherwise Ill buy some off a Cup owner whos changed their suspension.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 22 January 2004

i reckon they should fit.easy job to change them just to try it anyway.
Is it? Not without a driveway or garage it isnt! Living on quite a steep hill doesnt help much either :cry: Will have to pay Charlie Browns another £60.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Springs on the mk2 & Cup are the same fitment... but the Cup ones have a different spring rate...

hell no :D trust me the 172 springs are quite hard took a vectra for a spin the other day 150ish miles then got backin mine straight away and my god it was hard compared to the vectra

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 23 January 2004

Cup has racing springs, 172 has springs from a pogo stick. ;)
lol, you should try some after market springs. The spax ones Ive got on now made the Cups seem very soft.

Mind you, Im with you on the pogo stick comment. The MK2 172 werent too bad, but the MK1 172 springs....god knows what Renault were thinking. Theyre terrible, and visibley "taller" than the MK2 172 springs (Ive got a spare set of each!).

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 22 January 2004

Springs on the mk2 & Cup are the same fitment... but the Cup ones have a different spring rate...
Damn, so different then.

Calling all Cup with aftermarket spring owners.....

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 23 January 2004

u thought about Eibach jobbies mate?
Yeah, but couldnt get a straight answer about which kit was which so gave up on them. Want standard springs on for when I sell it anyway, and Im not selling it with the naff mk1 springs on it.