ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Suspension Problems Part2

172, Tiguan

Got to see a Reanult mechanic who knew what a 172 was! Unbelievable. I have wrong:

1 rear shock absorber

2 Front wishbones

He also knew about the knocking noise from the gearbox in first and second and said there is no fault.

Was allowed to see under the ramp, he pointed out all the problems, and has ordered the parts ready for next week.

Not bad for a 5 month old car eh?.....

So is it the wrong front wishbones that is causing the banging noise??

They cant seriously put a loud banging down to "its supposed to do that mate" can they???

172, Tiguan

Noise from the front suspension is the front wishbones, creaking from the rear is the shock absorber.

When on the ramps it was obviously faulty.

Yeah obviously faulty to anyone else, but clearly not to a renault "ahem" techy.

Ive booked mine in and told them to give me a courtesy car and keep my car till they fix it. Now working on the theory that it took them over 1 month to replace a leaking master brake cylinder i could be driving a 1.2 for some time!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

glad its getting sorted jon_r.changed shockers before for noises but never on a 172 yet.changing the front wishbones is something i havent done on a 172 yet either.there is a ots for front wishbones on clio 2 phase 2 but never had a 172 where it applied.think you were unlucky on both faults there mate.never mind at least its getting sorted.

172, Tiguan

Jay they are also going to cut the suspension top mounts to stop the rubbing. Fair enough if this sorts it - but i think i might have to write a letter to Renault UK asking why this needs doing on a 5 month old car.

Jay, the guy said he had replaced the lower front wishbones on 2 other 172s with the same fault and this cured part of the knocking problems Im also suffering. He said this only applied to the last of the 172s/Cups, and had no effect on the earlier ones? Dunno whether this is crap, but the guy seemed pretty clued up.

The rear shock was obviously faulty. When compairing the nearside to the offside, the offside one had -its hard to explain- moved, or at least the plasic sock thing it sits in was faulty.

Checked all the springs and mounts all OK.

He said its safe to drive and its going in on the 26th for all the work.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the top suspension knock is a design fault with the vehicle.the mod to the turret tops does work and i wouldnt worry about it.what they do sounds worse than it really is.never heard of that wishbone problem before,ill have a look on actis out of interest.roll on the 26th eh.

172, Tiguan

Tell me about it, im driving like a granny.

As you say im fairly confident this will sort it, lets hope so eh?!

Do feel a letter is needed just to get my point across to Renault though.. lol.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you could write a letter but theyve come up with this mod now so i dowt that will look into it again.

172, Tiguan

No, guess not - but itll make me feel better.

Remind me not to buy a Clio again.

Thanks for your help mate.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

That sucks...

Surprised that with all the problems I had with mine Ive been lucky enough to avoid anything like this!

(touch wood)

My cup was only 1 month old and having noticed the knocking in first and second I took it to my local dealer who said that a the brakes were missing a spring and connecting rod to the compensator valve and that the car was dangerous to drive. This was 5 weeks ago and Im still waiting for a delivery date on the parts. Secondly having read various messages on this forum I am not confident that this in fact is the source of the knocking and think this is a separate issue and when I get my car back the knocking will still be there. Can you explain in laymans terms what you were advised the problem was this way I can tell my renault dealer to check it out and investigate a possible issue for them to resolve without the need for me to take the car back again. Thanks in advance.

172, Tiguan

As some of you are aware I got the car back late last week and although the car is totally different in handling characteristics It is still creaking and banging like it always used to, something which I am utterly disgusted with from a 6 month old car.

The creaking from the front has gone, by cutting the strut tops i assume, however the rear suspension sounds like it may break at any opertunity.

I was without my car for a week and frankly I cant be bothered to go back to the dealership and go without a (decent) car again and deal with all the excuses, hassle and general timewasting this has caused me.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 08 March 2004

there isnt supposed to be the rod that goes to the break bias valve non of the cups have one
correct,the cup doesnt have the brake bias rod to the compensator.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 08 March 2004

As some of you are aware I got the car back late last week and although the car is totally different in handling characteristics It is still creaking and banging like it always used to, something which I am utterly disgusted with from a 6 month old car.

The creaking from the front has gone, by cutting the strut tops i assume, however the rear suspension sounds like it may break at any opertunity.

I was without my car for a week and frankly I cant be bothered to go back to the dealership and go without a (decent) car again and deal with all the excuses, hassle and general timewasting this has caused me.
can you explain more about the knock from the rear.

172, Tiguan

Its just a loud creaking noise, generally when the car goes over a weird camber, say turning into a driveway or going over some large bumps. Its definatly the offside rear making the noise.

I am happy that they have replaced all of the parts that they said they would as i have got under the car and checked, but after a week of them having the car it took me 10 seconds, probably shorter to discover the noise was still there.

I will admit that the car does feel totally different now, and better for it. Maybe i should book it back in.

Just to recap the rear shocks are both new as they were deemed faulty by the mechanic and thought to be causing the noise. I will add that my car does sit extremely low compared to normal cups that ive seen, maybe its just odd?

I would post a pic so you could see but this 56k at home is slow tonight!!