ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP VS MINI ONE

I KNOW IT IS A BIT LAME..BUT I CANNOT STAND MINIS..THE DRIVERS I HAVE COME ACROSS THINK THEY ARE THE BEST LOOKING AND FASTEST CARS ON THE ROAD SO IT GAVE ME GREAT PLEASURE IN TOASTING ONE TODAY...WHAT ARE THE STATS ON THE ONES...ANYWAY I WAS IN THE OUTSIDE LANE GOING DOWN A DUAL CARRIAGE WAY WHEN THIS CAR APPEARS OUT OF NOW WHERE RIGHT UP MY ARSS...I DONT NORMALLY PLAY BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING TO PROOVE BUT WHEN HE WENT INTO THE LANE AT THE SIDE OF ME AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS HE LOOKED ACROSS BEGAN TO LAUGH AND KEPT POINTING AT THE CAR WITH HIS BLOND BIMBO GIRLFRIEND LIKE IT WASNT REALLY A 172 JUST A 1.2 MADGED THAT WAY...ANYWAY DIDNT THINK ANTHING OF IT AND WHEN THE LIGHTS CHANGED HE BOOTED IT AND SET OF LIKE AN IDIOT..I LET HIM GO BUT WHAT PISSED ME OFF EVEN MORE IS THAT HE WAVED TO ME LIKE HE HAD AN EVO OR SOMETHING...RIGHT THAT WAS INTO 2ND GEAR 4500 REVS..YOU KNOW WHAT THAT FEELS LIKE CUP OWNERS AND WITHIN A COUPLE OF SECONDS I HAD GAINED ON HIM RIGHT UP HIS ARSE AND HE COULDNT GO ANYWHERE NO MATTER WHAT HE DID..I BEGAIN TO SWAY THE CAR SIDE TO SIDE TO REALLY PISS HIM OFF..INTO 3RD DOWN THE INSIDE AND GONE...HIS GIRLFRIENDS FACE WAS A TRUE KODAK MOMENT...HE KEPT BACK ALL THE ONE DOWN THE 10 MILE STRETCH..WHAT A RESULT!!!!

CUPSTAR

U fuggen legend!!! mate her in australia i saw one of those cooper Ss chasing a V8 ute...... i so wanted to join.. but i wasnt in the clio.. i was in the golf :( but yeah seriously man, they are a bit stuck up...

i saw this mini gave a Audi A4 a run ahha ....... next time i see him i will run him with a S4 (maybe buyin soon) see how he likes that . oh yeh chipped as well 500nm 310 hp

Had my first chance to play with the Cooper S yesterday on the M3, nice looking car I have to say but the owner was in no mood to play, didnt tailgate or anything I just overtook and then stayed a little infront in its right lane to see if it would pick up, but i noticed it was an old dear driving - heh

Why did she buy the Cooper S? Was her salesman laughing? Or is she a demon behind the wheel?

To be honest, I tend to stick at 55mph and to the inside lane on the Mway and give it stick on the A/B roads.

But Id definitely be up for it if a 172 was!:D

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Same here not 55 but 60-70 usually. Apart from when a Astra 2.0 16v was in front giving it some. I stayed in 3rd coming down the sliproad and booted it over to the fast lane to overtake He did too and we were exactly level untill about !00 when I was just goining on him slightly. There were odd bursts of traffic so we had to slow but every time he had the initial boot I booted it after. He wasnt going anywhere hehe

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSTAR on 27 January 2003

I KNOW IT IS A BIT LAME..BUT I CANNOT STAND MINIS..THE DRIVERS I HAVE COME ACROSS THINK THEY ARE THE BEST LOOKING AND FASTEST CARS ON THE ROAD SO IT GAVE ME GREAT PLEASURE IN TOASTING ONE TODAY
My girlfriend and sister both have minis purely because the look good (important to girls) and are a bit of a fashion statement (sorry lads, but something a clio could never do). They know nothing about cars, there performance etc.

Does the above still apply to them ? I am sure i know what they would think if they saw some lad in a clio tearing off down the street ! ;)

Dont stero type, you might live to regret it one day !

IF I MEET A NICE MINI DRIVER THEN I WILL TAKE BACK ALL MY WORDS I MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO ANY MINI DRIVERS WHO USE THIS FORUM ITS JUST THE EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD ROUND SHEFFIELD THAT MAKE ME FEEL THE WAY I DO....10 DICKS IN A MINI AND COUNTING!!! THE BEST OF ALL THIS IS THAT THE GUY ACTUALLY HAD A CHILD IN THE BACK IN A CHILD SEAT.WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!!

The Mini is one of those cars that people buy as a fashion statement more than because its a good car. 90% of the ones I see on the roads in the north east are driven by blonde women. A guy on Scoobynet had a Cooper S and had to sell it because he was getting sick of people saying he was gay. I think they get hyped up something rotten in the press. The Cooper S is meant to be a half decent motor but a 172/Cup will waste one. A cup versus a Mini One is no contest.....they are seriously lame cars. All in all the Mini is a hairdressers motor!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Id have to disagree about the comments that no clio could be used as a fashion statement.

I think the mk1 172 is one of the sexiest looking hatches on the market, especially the interior.

the exterior is that not overstated slightly brutish look, although Id agree that most women wouldnt know what the 172 is capable of simply because theyre not so interested in bhp figures but more in how the car drives and feels and looks

Okay I come clean.....I am a pretencoius, posing hairdresser with blond tints in my hair and only bought my Mini Cooper s because it looks cute and cudly and my boyfriends like it. When I met up with two people from this forum who own 172s I got left for dead in the peak district and did not stand a chance of keeping up. I paid Rhys 10 quid to say all those nice things about my girly car and that there was nothing in it on our friendly blast around the peak district. At the same time of being a blond posing hairdresser who cant drive I also sometimes get kicks out of cutting people in Clios off and undertaking them in traffic etc so then when I get home I run straight upstairs, log onto the mini forum and report to everyone how I just "toasted" a clio...........After I have eaten my dinner that mummy has cooked of course.

I love my missus Mini Cooper, very nice to drive and has a lovely interior. She doesnt want to race everyone, just to have enough power for those moments you need, which it has!

Ok, it was a bit costly for what it is but then if I went to sell it now Id get my money back!

BTW, shes not a hairdresser but her friend is who drives an MX5. Now thats a hairdressers car!

Had my first go at a Cooper S on Sunday coming home from the North West - saw him on a roundabout exiting towards Belfast up a pretty stepp climb. I got caught by a few t**sers coming around after him - well i had to go after him didnt I - he had the advantage up the dual carriageway climb but I caught him at about 120 coming into anothwer oundabout - went up the inside lane which was clear coming of the roundabout and then up another slip road I was gone - he was in my rear view! Onto the M3 into Belfast he was behind, I was taken it easy - onto the next slip road joining the M2 I booted it down to third and again I was long gone - loads of fun but not very difficult or challenging - he wasnt keeping up!

Moral of thi story is - if the cup can take the lead over the cooper S (which it can), then a Mini One shouldnt come close! And its not really fair to race a smaller engined car at the end of the day! Like to try out against a works Cooper S or the Hartge conversion next...........................Cooper S Boy u had your converison done yet?

If it wasnt for reading 90% of your other posts Cupsize I may well believe you, but quite frankly I dont. However, I do not doubt that the Cup is faster than a Cooper S all things equal. Hartge conversion on its way around April (Hopefully March). Originally I was going for the works package but that has been delayed by BMW once again and it also costs 3.5K and has less power than the Hartge. This post has got me thinking though........Do I really need 210bhp+ to drive to the salon and back everyday??

i quite fancy one of those hartge minis, they look the biz.. and just to sit on the fence i reckon mini drivers vary...as do clio drivers.....some are sound and some have got nothing better to do than go on about how good they are and how they thrashed daz in his saxo....and i can fit 4 hot brushes and a set of straighteners in my door bin! cant get a drink in the drink holder properly though!

I believe what cupsize has said, as they are very very quick cars, its noticeably quicker than a 172 and a 172 is quicker than a cooper s. Upon reading car magazines the cup can keep up with an RS focus, heres a bit from evo:

"Its rivalry with the Renault began when it met the cooking 172 back in evo 43, and although the almost mundane delivery of its supercharged, 161bhp 1.6 was no match for the straight-line fizz of the ballsy Renault, it scored highly with its unfazeable chuckability, integrity, style and conspicuous value for money. With the latter reversed, an intriguing in-fight is on the cards. "

Was that also the copy of EVO 43 where the final comments were from point to point there is no difference between the two? Anyway this topic is going to end up going the way many have done in the past and I dont think magazine articles are much to go by. For instance the copy of Top Gear I have sat in front of me now gives the following 0-62 (NOTE 62) times of each of the following cars.

Clio 172 - 7.4 secs

Honda Civic Type-R - 7.2 secs

Mini Cooper S - 7.1 secs

PS this is the issue with the big article where Clarkson compares the RS Focus against the Golf R32.

wut about the in gear acceleration? they might be on about that

hey guys just update on my S4 purcahse...... 70% towards yes now takin it out on Fri nite (there are 2 available) see which interior i like better hehe. i think i like the Recaros better than thos eAudi sport seats... more class to it

Yep was issue 43, doesnt matter about point to point though, cup is significantly faster and with a good driver will be faster, your average driver would probably be better off in the cooper s.

For a lot of people a clio vs mini battle would be like splitting hairs, i just dont like the look/image of the mini which is i wouldnt take it though i dont really have anything against them performance/handling wise.

i rate the cooper-ss, my mates got one, hes 23 and a decent bloke, i love the int but the costs are stupid. He got most of the extras and it was nearly 20k!!!!

They are quick, we havent raced properly but he agrees mine is quicker, altho he prefers his whining engine and int!

We both read the review by auto car when they put them up against each other and it said they were very level, handling was given to the coopers but outright speed they gave to the cup, being a supposed second or so quicker to 60. so i kinda believe CUPSIZE. soz, but i do like em!

Dan

I dont know if I have become a little confused but I am on about the 172 and not the cup. In my above posts I have clearly stated that the cup is a faster car than the Cooper S. The above recorded times in Top Gear are not in gear times but from a standing start. There is also a significant difference between 0-60 and 0-62 times. On average half a second. For examples BMW quote 0-60 of 6.9 seconds for the Cooper S and 0-62 of 7.4 seconds.

The only thing I dont believe about Cupsizes post is that he actually came up against a Cooper S. "Caught up with him at 120mph coming onto a roundabout" Seems quite ironic that as soon as a mini vs 172 argument comes up he manages to find one to toast. I will say again that a Clio Cup is quicker than a Cooper S ina straight line and on a track etc etc with both drivers been equal.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

172 is faster than a cooper -s almost all magazines put down the clio 172 as being faster to 60/62 and 100 than the cooper -s. The cooper -s is just a better handling car. Cup should easily out pace a cooper-s in most situations in my opinion. However, I think in todays performance car world they both are lacking power and with the mini getting 210bhp soon that will be the hottest hatch on the road for under 20K, but what will insurance be like?

Greeper - Fair point but have you actually been out against a Cooper S where you know eack of you are giving it all you have and seen the outcome??

I met up with Rhys on here and you couldnt honestly say one was quicker than the other because it really was that close. Rhys may be a w**k driver before I know but I would class myself highly either as I have never been on a track day. Maybe Craggy could clear this up as he has had many a blast with Rhys in his Williams and now VTS. Also when I had that "race" I only had 800 miles on the clock and it should be a 1200 mile run in.

People are saying the mini is a better handling car. This is not true and depends how you measure good handling. The Mini has more grip, better turn in and unsuprisingly because of the awful ride it adjusts to different surfaces and bumps without any twitchyness. Now a 172 may not be as good as the Mini (though its not far from) in those aspects but there is more feedback which is a defining aspect. The Cup is a 172 with better grip and turn in and so is the better car out of all of them. However on a track id say a normal 172 is more fun albeit not as fast so its difficult to choose between them too.

Ive driven the cooper s with the slighty dodgy tsw venom style 16s before any mini owners ask if i have only driven one with 17s..

Why would a normal 172 be more fun than a cup when the cup is made for the track?? I have 17s on my Cooper S by the way all options apart from sat nav and sunroof.

More sl*gging again I see - oh dear, works both ways dont it, seems everyones capable of it after all..............."I dont believe you" huh, who cares? Must get the Fiancee to back me up as she was with me after a steamy anniversary weekend away! "Oh Jo, what was that we raced on Sunday, with you on me lap? Seeing me toast the cooper without even breaking sweat, we had to pull over for some back seat action coz we couldnt wait to get home! ;) Im sure the hairdresser driving the Pooper S on Sunday will back me up too - of course, Its all made up and the cups really slow too BTW..................if that calms you down again old boy..........

One thing though the Fiancee wants one - she says it lokks cute and girly..........but I think were gonna get the new Micra, at least its original!

You can get the back end out on the 172 easier :D I didnt say it was faster..

Now those micras are funky looking things, girls only though!

Hmm the Mini has had great reviews but has got the hairdress rep . I personally dont think i would own one though. They look a bit too "toy car" for me. But what you get for your money seems good value. I would have liked it more if it had been stlyed a bit differently,more hard egded but there selling billions of em so theve got it right.

Quote: Originally posted by CooperS-Boy on 28 January 2003

The only thing I dont believe about Cupsizes post is that he actually came up against a Cooper S. "Caught up with him at 120mph coming onto a roundabout" Seems quite ironic that as soon as a mini vs 172 argument comes up he manages to find one to toast.
incriminating dont your think?

I love a great hot-hatch no matter who its from, aslong as we keep getting great new ones we should all be happy.