ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup vs mrk 1 172 on 1/4 mile

Does anyone have any times for the Clio cup on the quarter mile?

Im under the impression that the CLio Cup and a Mrk1 172 with the original spec (aluminium bonnet, gear shift light etc) are the same weight or bhp per ton?

Is this true?

CTR EK9 turbo

the CUPs lighter than the mk1 - according to my mk.1 172 manual mine weighs 1035 kg and all the press say the Cup weighs 1021 kg (dry weights). Ive come to the conclusion that the mk.2 172 weighs 1059kg.

The cup is about 170 bhp per tonne and the mk.1 is 166 bhp per tonne and the mk2 i make at 162 bhp per tonne. All pretty similar.

The CUPs are generally quicker; if it was the same driver driving at the same time in both cars at the same temperature/fuel load/tyre pressures etc.

Some guys on here did some recent quarter miling. Tim0172 managed 14.4 at York dragway in a stripped-out(?) CUP and running 15 inch wheels/cut slicks (road legal) along with some other guys, who all got similar times, but a bit higher, next was 2 live in his willy got 14.6 and then adiclio16v who got 14.7 and craggy and paddy who both got 14.9 - craggy in a VTS and paddy in his mk.2 172.

Id say the small differences would be mostly down to the driver.

CTR EK9 turbo

oh and Tim0172 used to have a mk.1 172 with launch control and some other things done to it - i think he managed 14.5 or thereabouts?

Not trying or wanting to spark off a big argument, but isnt the 172 MK1 just a spare wheel away from the Cup in weight? Eg: ditch the spare of 14/15kg and have a car that weighs the same? Should both be around 1021kg

CTR EK9 turbo

maybe? who knows. You cant get an accurate weight of a car unless you weigh each corner seperately - i.e. not on a weigh bridge. (so ive been reliably informed) something to do with the suspension pusing to the sides.

presumably the spare weighs 15 kg? has anyone weighed it?

The cup has the mk.2 172 gearbox id have thought, so those compensating gear ratios would also make it quicker with the less weight. Also the A/C has a belt around it and i doubt it stops turning around the cog on the A/C unit, but obviously with less force needed than if it was turned on.

Just guessing. My MK2 172 spare and tyre weighed 17.5kg and the toolkit 2kg, but the cup retains the tool kit. MK1 wheel should be a bit lighter being a 15" I suppose.

Didnt think about the gear box. Good point though. Got to be an advantage over the MK1 in that respect.

Simon172-Thanks i really need to sell my 172 as its done 41k and now losing money fast being 2 years old. it

Ive been thinking about getting a cup but its really the same car and amazing value for money/performance etc.

Think i need a change, im thinking about defecting and getting a CTR or a Scooby.

What i would really like is a GTI anniversary 180 with a AMD chip 220bhp but the used prices havent really dropped yet.

CTR EK9 turbo

rhys - ill weigh my spare and report back asap!

timebomb - i see what you mean, itd be nice for a change and i agree itd be good to go for something with more tuning potential. Are those anniversarys still available? i was led to believe they only made a limited number? i could be wrong though!

How about saving up for the VX220 turbo. Im trying to persuade my bro to get one!!

Simon172-They dont make the Golf anniversarys anymore. They are only availible used on autotrader etc. They seem to be holding price at around 17-18k.

I think the VX220 to expensive for me. way off budget.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Polishing a mk2 172, doing the windows with rain x, pulling the mirrors in and dumping the spare wheel.

Loosing weight and improved airodynamics with mirrors in, would it give it comparable performance to the cup to the 1/4 mile?

S2000

Tim, why the Golf Ani?

The Cupra R is quicker and more tunable and has better handling, apparently. Just a thought!

My bro got a 14.8 in his Cup at Crail, notoriously harsh this year on times!

S2000

Bloody rip off Mo, 6 quid to get in an £15 for unlimited runs.

Whys that a rip off I hear you ask? The roads going to the strip and coming back round to the strip are terrible, pottholes and stones the sze of yer hand. No money or effort put into to it!

is it every week, or once a month. Do you have achoice of who you run against.. Also where do you go for RR ive heard of star performance, are they local to Dunfermline??. sorry for all the Qs. On more who is the guy in the Fast & Furious type Laguna driving around, i cant work it out if its fast or not he keeps turning of before i catch him.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 06 May 2003

Not trying or wanting to spark off a big argument, but isnt the 172 MK1 just a spare wheel away from the Cup in weight? Eg: ditch the spare of 14/15kg and have a car that weighs the same? Should both be around 1021kg
Pretty much...

But then theres the differences in the gearing and the engines characteristics, as they have totally different power/torqe patterns!

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by oliverreed on 19 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 06 May 2003

dunno to be honest but my vts runs quicker than iv seen a std mk1 run and mk2 :)
doubt it.
doubt wot mate?

theres no way that a standard 172 will stay with craggys beast.....plenty have tried n failed

320d M Sport

i ran 14.7, craggy ran 14.5.

nuff said, altho he did have passenger seat out, raced a bit on the road and its probably tipped in his favour.

Maybe some entrepreneaur should buy a load of Cups, stick a spare in them, and sell them at a price half way between a cup price and a 172 price, for a bit of a profit.;)

I had some old Renault literature that quoted the CUP as 90kg lighter than the ph2 172 I will try and dig it out and post it!. Dont care anyway i have had both and my current 172exclusive is quicker than the lot. Doesnt make sense as i think its heavier due to the BBS alloys etc but it defo pulls away quicker.

Lionel Richie

TimO got 14.0 or 14.1 (the slicks he uses arent road legal, theyre full on racing slicks!!!) Hes got a viper/decat (plus Rsport ECU i think?????)

Quote: Originally posted by Timebomb on 06 May 2003

Simon172-Thanks i really need to sell my 172 as its done 41k and now losing money fast being 2 years old. it

Ive been thinking about getting a cup but its really the same car and amazing value for money/performance etc.

Think i need a change, im thinking about defecting and getting a CTR or a Scooby.

What i would really like is a GTI anniversary 180 with a AMD chip 220bhp but the used prices havent really dropped yet.

lol is it an AMD Athlon?

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 19 September 2003

TimO got 14.0 or 14.1 (the slicks he uses arent road legal, theyre full on racing slicks!!!) Hes got a viper/decat (plus Rsport ECU i think?????)

I am more impressed with Chris s times than timos, chriss shows what a Cup with a R Sport chip will do in road trim. Not stripped out back seats,front seats, 15" wheels and semi slicks!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 19 September 2003

I had some old Renault literature that quoted the CUP as 90kg lighter than the ph2 172
The Cup weighs 89kg less than a mk2 172 according to the official specs

mk2 172 - 1110kg
Cup - 1021kg

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 19 September 2003

I am more impressed with Chris s times than timos, chriss shows what a Cup with a R Sport chip will do in road trim. Not stripped out back seats,front seats, 15" wheels and semi slicks!
Exactly...

Chriss Cup ran 14.4 in full standard road trim, on standard wheels & tyres, with just an induction kit and an R-Sport!

This is how he drives the car everday and these are real times hes getting!

However, Tims is f*cking rapid! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 19 September 2003

dunno to be honest but my vts runs quicker than iv seen a std mk1 run and mk2 :)
doubt it.
doubt wot mate?

theres no way that a standard 172 will stay with craggys beast.....plenty have tried n failed
Arh but on the road??? How can you compare a sh*tty tin saxo 2 a 172?

And anyway - this dont sound standard - how can u compare a modded car to non-modded???

You might as well mention a 1000bhp Skyline while you are at it!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 19 September 2003

Exactly...

Chriss Cup ran 14.4 in full standard road trim, on standard wheels & tyres, with just an induction kit and an R-Sport!

This is how he drives the car everday and these are real times hes getting!

However, Tims is f*cking rapid! ;)

Nah, if Chris can do a 14.4 with full interior timos times aint anything out of the ordinary if you ask me, when Chris gets a de-cat and strips his car im positive he will match those times with less mods.

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 19 September 2003

doubt it.
doubt wot mate?

Arh but on the road??? How can you compare a sh*tty tin saxo 2 a 172?

And anyway - this dont sound standard - how can u compare a modded car to non-modded???

You might as well mention a 1000bhp Skyline while you are at it!

Settle down chief, if Craggy put his car back to standard it would still match a 172 over the 1/4 mile and on the road.