ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cupra-R scalps 182 Cup....

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

in test round Rockingham in this weeks Nuts magazine! Leon Cupra R got 1:31 and the Cup 1:32 IIRC seems strange I though the 182 was quicker round the corners and in a straight line....well below 100/110 or so?

black golf v6 4 motion

i thought you said scalped thats 1 second..... i thought cupra r faster in straight line 182 in corners iirc

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by geordieclio on 10 December 2004

i thought you said scalped thats 1 second..... i thought cupra r faster in straight line 182 in corners iirc
Think it was more than that really maybe just under 2 seconds but anyway thats quite a bit over a few laps....I thought the Cupra-R would be a bit slower round a track, but I hear they have very good brakes and grippy tyres on 18s.

black golf v6 4 motion

sorry not really up on tracks etc didnt hink 1 sec was much but yes brakes are brembro iirc late breaking etc all helps

BMW 120i Sport

Wouldnt call that a scalping, Leon Cupra R is 6.9 secs to 60 so fairly evenly matched with a 182, although the Cupra R is £18k :eek:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Ok wrong turn of phrase... maybe Cupra-R shades 182 Cup would be more appropriate! ;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Cupra R is a good car, particularly on wide flowing circuits. The Clio would beat it on a tighter circuit.

£18k car beats £12k car. No surprise there then.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 10 December 2004Wouldnt call that a scalping, Leon Cupra R is 6.9 secs to 60 so fairly evenly matched with a 182, although the Cupra R is £18k :eek:

Its 6.9 to 62mph, its 6.6 to 60mph. Ive just changed to a Cupra R from a cup. I have to say it is deceptivly fast (the R). The Cup sounded faster as i had a scorpion exhaust, but really, although im not pushing the Cupra R as hard as i did the cup, as ive only just got it, it sticks to the road and out brakes the Cup like you wouldnt believe.

You cant really compare prices with the Cupra R and the Cup as they are in a completely different class to each other! Its kinda like saying the M3 beats the cupra R around a track because its 30k more!

You get a bigger and better specced car, climate, TC, ESP, If anything the Cupra R should be comapred against things like the Megane 225 and the Type R, and we know how it fared against them from top gear. The Cup should really be compared to cars like the 206 GTi 180 and others in the super mini class IMHO.

I think the Cupra R, in 225 form, is one of the most under rated cars about.

[Edited by Max172cup on 12/11/2004 11:00:03 AM]

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 11 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 10 December 2004Wouldnt call that a scalping, Leon Cupra R is 6.9 secs to 60 so fairly evenly matched with a 182, although the Cupra R is £18k :eek:

Wait til you get it into 275 form;)

Remapped derv Golf

Id still rather have an S3 purely because of the badge.:cool:

I do agree with Max, the cupra R is one of the most underated hatches out there. The Clios are close but at £5k cheaper shouldnt really be compared to the Curpa R. Maybe in second hand tests.

Yeah, the S3 is a lovely car and you do get a good spec, but that is in the same class as the Cupra R, but is nearly 8-10k more (cant remember new prices, but they werent cheap if i remember rightly).

Remapped derv Golf

Nah way. The S3s where about £25k or something.

The new RS3s gonna be the beast of all hot hatches I reckon.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 11 December 2004

Its 6.9 to 62mph, its 6.6 to 60mph. Ive just changed to a Cupra R from a cup. I have to say it is deceptivly fast (the R). The Cup sounded faster as i had a scorpion exhaust, but really, although im not pushing the Cupra R as hard as i did the cup, as ive only just got it, it sticks to the road and out brakes the Cup like you wouldnt believe.

You cant really compare prices with the Cupra R and the Cup as they are in a completely different class to each other! Its kinda like saying the M3 beats the cupra R around a track because its 30k more!

You get a bigger and better specced car, climate, TC, ESP, If anything the Cupra R should be comapred against things like the Megane 225 and the Type R, and we know how it fared against them from top gear. The Cup should really be compared to cars like the 206 GTi 180 and others in the super mini class IMHO.

I wasnt undermining or underrating the Cupra R, my point was that for two cars with pretty similar performance figures you pay a premium for the Cupra R. I take it your comparing the kit on the Cupra with the 172 Cup? The 182 comes with ESP/climate/xenons.

Horses for courses, I think the Cupra R is a lovely car - wouldnt mind it as a natural progression (or the equivalent) once I have kids to go in the back!

Street Triple R

lol, thats true :D, 1 sec in a racing car is a great amount of time, 1 sec in a road car isnt all that much IMO

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

1 second for 6k,not much performance per pound but hey there good motors nowadays and have come a long way

Its a hot hatch,but a hot price too

ian

A wins a win! :D Just bought the Nuts mag in question, for the cars, not the huge amount of topless women in this one, honest! The Leon strangely enough lapped at the same time as a Nissan 350Z. I find that harder to believe.

Yaris Hybrid

When you start getting down to gaps of 1 second you are going beyond the driving ability of most of us. Id probably get beaten by more than 1 second against a really good driver in a 1.6 Dynamique.

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 11 December 2004

since when has nuts been a trusted motoring journal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont need to be a trusted motoring journal to have a racing driver run a car past the timing beams on a race track!!!!

LOL

Cupra R generates more grip has more power, more torque, faster in gear speeds (consequence of turbo torque) , will brake harder repetetively, with less fade, but as you say costs a lot more!

Still a hot hatch though.

Interesting that 2 articles in 2 weeks have the cupra R as being quick around 2 different tracks.

If you drive one you will see why

I would still say the clio may light your fire more in some ways, but thats a consequence of more noise, lighter build etc.

just different

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Too heavy and too big.

Chipped and with suspension improvements they are good.

But in std form its a bland bland bland car to drive.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 11 December 2004

LOL two words.

PRESS CAR.

All im saying is red octvavia Vrs
Would another couple of words be close in the sense of upping boost to impress

ian

This has been done so many times,...My mate used to own the original press car from the re-launch of the RS2000,It was j or k reg and then car at the end and when he finaly spoke to someone at an RS day a few years later,this guy was the mech who played with the car and gave it a new chip etc and pushed it to nearly 170 bhp to show off to the journos

ian

Quote: Originally posted by 20VT on 11 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 11 December 2004

since when has nuts been a trusted motoring journal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont need to be a trusted motoring journal to have a racing driver run a car past the timing beams on a race track!!!!

LOL

Cupra R generates more grip has more power, more torque, faster in gear speeds (consequence of turbo torque) , will brake harder repetetively, with less fade, but as you say costs a lot more!

Still a hot hatch though.

Interesting that 2 articles in 2 weeks have the cupra R as being quick around 2 different tracks.

If you drive one you will see why

I would still say the clio may light your fire more in some ways, but thats a consequence of more noise, lighter build etc.

just different

still this is f**king nuts magazine !!!!!!!!!!

R

rich[182]

agree - very underated car, very good looking,quick and very very tuneable.
Its near the top of my wishlist for next car, Id have to go the 275bhp route as well, masses of torque
Shows how good 182 is to be there and abouts against a car costing a fair bit more £

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 11 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 11 December 2004

LOL two words.

PRESS CAR.

All im saying is red octvavia Vrs
Would another couple of words be close in the sense of upping boost to impress

ian

This has been done so many times,...My mate used to own the original press car from the re-launch of the RS2000,It was j or k reg and then car at the end and when he finaly spoke to someone at an RS day a few years later,this guy was the mech who played with the car and gave it a new chip etc and pushed it to nearly 170 bhp to show off to the journos

ian
LOL at the excuses coming. Admit it boys 2 times in the space of a week and youll argue whites black and blacks white. If that were a chipped example it would be much more than a second ahead of a 182 and more on the doors of the scoob and evo times posted. 245bhp at wheels and 290lbft of torque proves my point.

Dont talk about corrupt car tests when only last week the clio 182 was in autocar as being the best hatch for under £20k. They just mysteriously missed out the CTR and LCR................Wonder why??????

Your clios arent as invincible as you think! Muchly over-rated on track abilities.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i stand by my comments.

Bland and its a shame because they had a chance with the new ibiza to get 1 up on renault but thats even worse.

I like the car, but its just not smile crackingly good. its simply a quick fwd hatch with no steering feel.

and in std form its not that fast either, more than likely due to its weight.

In everyday driving terms ( ie A roads, motorways and the odd B road ) its a quality motor and definitley a step up from the 172/182. People who sl*g the handling off have proabably never driven one. Its really not bad at all, and the Brembos are top notch. £500 for an extra 50 bhp and a switch to turn it back to standard for services takes it further out of the Clio league. IMHO of course.

Tom, have you driven the CTR?

Electronically controlled, with not much steering feel!

If speeds were not an issue and instead of 1/4 miling 1/2 mile tracks were used then the LCR would show the performance gap between the 2.

Everyone takes a cars 0-60 as its performance indicator. An LCR would blitz the 182 through the gears and up to top end.

On the likes of the autobahn a 182 would be no use if you liked fast cars. However in this country they are well suited due to the silly low speed limits and tight twisty roads. This makes the 182 look fantastic over here in the UK. I doubt they sell many over in Germany though.

Not taking anything away from the 182 as it obviously holds its own and for the £££ you cant buy better but the best hatch for under £20000:eek:

R

rich[182]

"An LCR would blitz the 182 through the gears and up to top end"

Whilst Im under no illusions that a LCR is quicker than a 182 through the gears and top end then by the same token an LCR would simply not blitz a 182 either (through the gears)

If by top end your talking about 90/100+ then Id imagine most 182 owners couldnt give a s*** unless they dont value their licence

Top end isnt what the 182 is all about.

Ive driven a 225 variant several times and yes it seemed a tad quicker than my 172 but it wasnt a significant step up IMO, Id HAVE to get the 275 upgrade to really feel Id moved into another performance bracket

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 11 December 2004

Tom, have you driven the CTR?

Electronically controlled, with not much steering feel!

If speeds were not an issue and instead of 1/4 miling 1/2 mile tracks were used then the LCR would show the performance gap between the 2.

Everyone takes a cars 0-60 as its performance indicator. An LCR would blitz the 182 through the gears and up to top end.

On the likes of the autobahn a 182 would be no use if you liked fast cars. However in this country they are well suited due to the silly low speed limits and tight twisty roads. This makes the 182 look fantastic over here in the UK. I doubt they sell many over in Germany though.

Not taking anything away from the 182 as it obviously holds its own and for the £££ you cant buy better but the best hatch for under £20000:eek:

CTR is even worse. LCR is a MUCH better car than the CTR imho.

Agree with other comments, but like you said im not german.

Like the Leon Cupra R, always have. Definitely best hot hatch under 20k.

But I have climate, TC, ESP.. on my 172. And no, its not quite as fast but it is pretty quick and it only cost me 11k.

Why would the megane scalp a LCR when both have similar weight/power and torque??

The megane was tested last week on top gear was it not? The R was quicker