ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cups ticking

172 cup
hi i posted a question about 7 days ago about my clio cup making a ticking noise when warm to which some of u have had the same prob and only heard from inside the car... nearly all of u said charcoal cannister so i ordered one costing 46 sheets :approve: if u had this problem and got rid of it by sticking a new one on then post reply..cheers.

Megane Trophy, Golf
Yeah i changed mine, but i swaped the 172 one for a 182 one because the 182 ones are made of plastic not metal so its a lot quieter anyway! ;)

172 cup
is that why it ticks then cause its made of metal and not plastic or is it the valve inside it mate??
what a stupid design so whats its job something to do with exhaust emissions yeah...

Megane Trophy, Golf
It gets rid of fuel vapour on tickover! yeah the metal one rattles against the subframe thats why its more noticable on 172's! when i first heard mine i thought tappets had gone LOL :)

172 cup
thought i'd broke something on the top end aswell ha ha but when i got out of the car noise had gone its odd that u cant hear it outside only inside..
hey i've got a small crack in my fog light and its filling up with water do u no how much to replace it?

L

lenny85

just got car back from renault and was the charcoal canister sounds like a very common fault. never mind replaced free of charge next week:D

J

JACKO CUP 172!

i have been wondering wot the noise was?? thought it was fcuked.

Banana
Mine has been ticking away since the car was new. It's never annoyed me so I've just left it as it is :)

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Mine's started to do this, really annoying if your sitting at lights and all you here is tick,tick,tick, it sometimes goes away with revving it a bit.

Should i replace the charcoal canister thingy ?

172 cup
to be honest it wont harm your car just gets on peoples nerves so if you have the cash spare then buy one
easy to install as some of these guys will tell you;)

DC5
Mine used to do it. Was a bit annoying. Avo, I sold my cup to someone that lived in the Leamington area. Wasn't you was it?

Black Gold 182
mine does this - not all the time, but I too got out and tried to listen to engine and couldnt hear anything. random!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Interesting. I think I might get this replaced by warranty. I asked the same question 2 days ago.

M135i
where abouts is it situated. was going to put a post on the mysterious ticking tonight as mine is doing it. part number also?

172 MKII FF
Does anyone know if I can simply jack up the card and unplug the connector to tear if my sound is this? Will it leave any error lights on the dash or anything?

172 MKII FF
Just take the canister out and leave the solenoid in. Iv taken mine out with no adverse effects

Any is this relatively easy to do?

Is it a fault with the unit itself or simply that it rattles on the car? Could I put some kind of foam or sound proofing on it?

You need to block the pipe at the plenum end - i then removed the pipework but left the solenoid plugged in otherwise it will throw up error codes (the solenoid is the round shaped thing the plug clips into it will make sense when your doing it)

You have to let the tank end vent otherwise the pressure will build up in the tank.

I changed my carbon cannister...but it just kept ticking:( so I checked the pipes and they were fine...then I got an emmisions test to see if the cat was on the way out..and
that was fine too.
I just ignore it now.

172 MKII FF
I changed my carbon cannister...but it just kept ticking:( so I checked the pipes and they were fine...then I got an emmisions test to see if the cat was on the way out..and
that was fine too.
I just ignore it now.

Was your definately the carbon cannister that was ticking?

yes...it ticks for about a min after you turn the engine off..then you hear a click from the relay box (the othere side of engine bay) and it stops..Renault said its "purging". and they dont know why.
It isnt so noisy with the new one though.

Here's a bit I put on another thread on how to change it...

remove the o/s wheel ,take the arch liner out..use a 13mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the bugger in. then unclip the sensor and the two pipes going to and from the offending artical..and bobs you uncle. then just reverse the process to fit the new one.