ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Joint or Wheel bearing?

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio
hey,

I got £500 worth of work done on my car last week and at the time I told the garage that there was a kind of knocking when i turn left which may be my wheel bearing or CV joint or something. He came back to me and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it and that the knocking was a missing exhaust clamp and rubber. Now the car is a lot,lot better than it was but when i turn I still am getting the knocking, metallic clunk sound and I'm unsure if it's a wheel bearing or the CV Joint.

Anyone know from what I've said which it is? I wanna go back in today and mention it cos if I'm trying to sell it soon i don't want anything wrong with it!!

Cheers,

Daz

FF cupped Arctic 182
I had a knocking sound on my old 1.4, it turned out to be the ball joint, but also on the same car it was where a bolt had sheared on the suspension arm iirc.

when I've heard bearings on their way out they havent sounded like a knocking more of a grinding type noise IMO

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio
Just took it to garage and he was cool. He said when i asked him to look the other week, he took it on an 8 mile drive, tried both full locks, fast and slow etc and didn't hear anything. He had it up on the ramps and couldn't find anything wrong.
I told him I could hear it when going left, not always full-lock, and it doesnt always happen. he said to wait and see if it gets worse because if it's intermittent then it's hard to find.

I'm a bit perturbed because i want to sell it and i geunuinly don't want anything to be wrong with it or 'on the way out'.
If it is the CV joint or whatever, it's not a massive job or anything but when someone's test driving it I don't want them to go 'oooh what's that noise?'.....I'll have to tell them anyway that there may be a problem but it can't be diagnosed properly yet.

I'm gonna get some pics done soon and try and gauge any interest on here.

Cheers,
Daz