ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dan's 172 cup project

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Hi there boys and girls new to clios but not French cars have owned a fair few 306s and 205s mainly turbo diesel and a couple of Gti6s.
FullSizeRender_5_zpsbqintcwj.jpg

my last car a 306td running a gearbox mounted bmw gt2256v, bigger fuel pump and paddle clutch was a lot fun.

Then my work began moaning about me using the van out of work so thought I need a daily. 1 drunk purchase later and I was on my way to Halifax for a 5 hour round trip to collect a 172 cup.

Came with 12 months MOT, New discs and pads all round, competition B exhaust and apparently a remap (no proof) all for the tidy some of £735.

So after a fun drive home I finally got it on the drive, after a quick gander it needs a new rear engine mount, drivers side strut and drivers side driveshaft then from then ill be tidying up and 'improving' it. I also own a classic mini which im doing a full nut and bolt resto on. Anyway enough jobber jabber, the car in question

20160125_101014_zpsvnuflvnt.jpg

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Had an hour today before work, its got a bit of a lumpy idle so removed the map semsor and ordered a new one and also removed the inlet ready for a lick of paint and to change the plugs as they dont look to fresh

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
For now just tidy it up as its been sat for a while, done about 5k in 3yrs so need to replace belts and refresh a few bits

The 306 wasnt definatly fun was running around 190bhp not bad considering its 92 standard and was all done in my lil workshop

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
The cups fun to drive but knocking a bit due to the dogbone mount, i aint got many pics of either im afraid, mainly pics of my mini on my fone unfortunatly

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Will follow your thread mate. Looking forward to see where this goes. Can't beat a nice cup :)

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Well not much going on just collecting a few parts that need replacing also received these today

1c3194edc03590ace1369e09d944f465.jpg

Nice keyring, also bought a spare inlet and throttle body so i can paint them up with a set if front calipers to

24f04ccc1afceb0a79e59222adf7a43e.jpg

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Had a couple hours today so changed the spark plugs amd fitted a new map sensor to hopefully sort the lumpy idle

Old
99eff22c87e0ea7dc494d8495d8206a0.jpg

New
ef573633a4e571403a5be343f1a1c340.jpg

Then it started pissing down so went in the garage and cleaned up my spare inlet and chucked some etch primer on it
f3793b15c260ecfc6addd885b8147a4f.jpg

170511db971ad0f8dd1fd30f26ef60e6.jpg

Gonna hopefully get time to give it another coat then a splash of colour, also set up my little electrolysis bath to clean the spare calipers up for some paint to :)

Thanks dan

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Well not much happening just tidying up little bits, changed the rear bumper light for a brand new item
20160306_150051_zpssyadlviu.jpg

also added some wind deflectors
20160306_150114_zpsxgbzfug6.jpg

then I turned my attention to the knock when pulling off and the click when turning at slow speeds (Im thinking top mounts)
The knock turned out to be the lower engine mount bolt was loose and inner drivers cv boot was disconnected so nice easy fixes.

The click sounded to me like a top mount so took the suspension apart to find both struts are knackered (push them down didn't rise again) so now I need new struts aswell :(
th_20160306_145859_zps07bfjvjw.jpg

in other news I also bought some spare wheels for the occasional track outing
20160306_150136_zpssfm1w3ua.jpg