ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dci tuning thread

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I wonder if the nozzles can be took from a broken injector and be fitted to a working one. That way they can be had cheap!
would be great if we make exactly the same setup, easier for tuning and comparing!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
That also but better as we find out more and more. Should have kept this to ourselves and make a business out of it :p

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i'll give bob a ring tommorow and ask him that. he'll say the nozzle off the broken one with need high pressure cleaning.

and then he'll tell me what MG cup said

im going for the same setup as you. pointless going two different routes as one of us will hit a barrier. which is best to hit as a group to come up with a solution.

not even going to bother about worrying of other components, until i have one hybrid pump and a set of re nozzled injectors sat infront of me :)

we dont have to release full information on what modifications or adjustments we have done ;)

Cup In bits
He'll be able to code the injector if you chose a different nozzle then the codes need to be told to the ecu to have any sort of power, mpg or smooth running.

Mondeo's were a big part of our work being that there is many high milage taxi's. After a while just by taking the 2cp codes (I think they were called that, been a while) and re learn the ecu, it used to gain a good 20-30 bhp back.

Edit: also nozzles are circa £30 cost so don't waste your money on old stuff, then there is a swivel valve iirc in Delphi pencil injectors and the nozzle cap is meant to be a one shot deal, you can use them but we had to replace them to keep the Delphi franchise.

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
True but there is alot in the topic anyway. Although i'll probably won't be making any profit with it anyway as there are just so few people in NL who care! Only in the vag scene they do unfortunately.

question to mg cup, if bob codes them (works out a code for them) and we code them into the ecu will the ecu adapt? As in will the fueling still be exactly the same? (So duration will be shorter as a result)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
As far as i can find the 2.0 tdci injectors won't go any further then 170bhp either....

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
the 16 digi code that comes with them after adaption should always be coded in or the ecu wont be able to fine control the injectors. ( ie just default settings ) which will r****d everything for safty.

i can code injectors into the ecu thankfully with my RAC launch computer.

MG where do i get the nozzles ? rather just send the nozzles and injectors down to bob rather than him trying to source it all for me.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
As far as i can find the 2.0 tdci injectors won't go any further then 170bhp either....

pump goes to 200hp.

if the injectors dont, surely 170 is enough ?

so easy to acheive the goal of 150/160 hp.

the torque will be so much larger that it will launch the clio around like an F4R. and that im happy with

Cup In bits
We only done standard stuff but I would think if you re-nozzle the injectors with new codes, input them in an otherwise standard car it would run normal, if you could then have an uprated pump (which will speak to the ecu) and up the boost, fuel pressure through a remap you could be into a winner.

The injectors are the really fancy bit on common rail, there is 3 different injections per every power stroke on a cylinder, its all in milliseconds hence why the injectors need coded despite how good the machining is on them, every nozzle/body flows slightly different and the ecu needs to know this to work any good.

Edit: nozzles were bought from all the manufactures as we had the franchise for any main supplier in the industry. Try this diesel bob for them though, he might have his own calibration machine (knocking on for 200k iirc) or he might outsource them to the likes of my old place like half of britian did.

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I think the bv39 turbo will be my next limit! Already looked into gt1749's and there's so much to fit!

basically every turbo they use on the tdi's would fit our engine!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol probably would! Just found someone claiming he had 150whp with his 2.0 so i guess the injectors will be plenty!
if i blow my bv39 i think i'll just source a gt1749, they should be just enough for 170 which would be crazy enough for the dci and still retain decent spool.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
need to sort my subframe out soon, or it'll torque steer like a proper right hooker lol

you done an EGR delete yet? ive just disconnected mine until i can fabricate a new delete pipe

Cup In bits
Page 4-33

The nozzle, adapter plate, nut and the valve and calibration pins are sometimes changed.

The codes are 2Ci codes and not 2cp or whatever I said.

we used to sometimes re lap the nozzles and ultrasonic them for good customers to keep their bill down, see what bob says about what's a suitable nozzle and if he can re lap old ones from day the 2.0 tdci's

Its all coming back now lol.

Ignore that last bit, check the pump inlet pipes for a choked gauze, was common on some pumps.

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
No i haven't. Not sure if i will too, i read alot of mixed opinions on it!

i know the inlet will stay cleaner but it will also warm up slower and have lower mpg while city driving as far as i've read.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
The pdf even has pump flow information!

puma pump also has 4 plungers, wonder how they're built in.

but i think it's safe to say with twice the output the pump can deliver 250bhp!

depending on which one we have though.... It says puma/lynx and 1 for just puma.
odds are big that's the 2.2 st tdci pump? Maybe that's the one bob tested too...

Last edited:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
if the nozzles are not that expensive brand new. i dont think i'll bother using old ones haha :) like you said not worth it.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
No i haven't. Not sure if i will too, i read alot of mixed opinions on it!

i know the inlet will stay cleaner but it will also warm up slower and have lower mpg while city driving as far as i've read.

mines still kicking out 56-60mpg around town with it unplugged.

warms up to optimum temp around 10mins of normal driving.

i have noticed it doesnt do the ' flat spot' pull off anymore.

Cup In bits
Always remove EGR's and DPF's on diesel's as they will do nothing but coke up the engine and cause other troubles, they were only needed to pass emissions law's when they left the factory, as soon as they are out the door then that allowable emissions output in an M.O.T goes up.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Hhhmmm have to try, afaik putting a resistor in one off the pins prevents a fault light too.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i dont have any fault lights at all lol. just disconnected it. unless thats to do with mine being an early dci 80.

tutuur, i'll enquire about those puma pumps. never knew puma's had a diesel lump lol, its either got the same 1.7 lump as the fiesta its based on or like the mondeo STTDCI 2.2

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
The pdf even has pump flow information!

puma pump also has 4 plungers, wonder how they're built in.

but i think it's safe to say with twice the output the pump can deliver 250bhp!
that pdf has everything almost to what we want to know in it. on the general basis.

even has clio pictures in it LOL

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol, puma is the engine code/name. It's not a ford puma :p

If you look in that pdf you'll see 2 different types. However in the other delphi pdf there are 3 different pn's for the ford pumps.
so don't really know which we have bought...

however if i conclude that 0.6cm3 is enough for 125bhp the 0.9 the lynx pump delivers should be enough for over 180bhp anyhow

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
been on the phone to bob today. we wont be the first to change nozzles on the 1.5 injectors.

somes had 1.6 hdi nozzles fitted ( with allot of hassle being as the nozzles are bosch and the injector is Delphi )

he said if I send him over a dci injector and an old mondeo 2.0 injector, he'll have a go at doing it. only bit I would have to pay for is for him to strip, clean, assemble and re program the 16digi stuff.

as regards to the pump, 2.0 tdci pump may fit in the dci 1.5 housing but he thinks the ' cam ' plate inside might foul the body

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
We'll see mate, by the sounds of it you have good contact with bob :cool: I've heard of the 1.6 nozzle too but i think this is a simpler safer option.

The pump i ordered will take a while as a mate of mine collects parts for me and then sends them over to surpress postage costs. I'm getting more and more excited though!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i might pop down his workshop soon :D , need a trip his way for some more HP pipes as i dont like reusing them.

currently making a custom tank sender unit for the dci. out of metal ( will get plated to prevent corrosion ) hope to retain the fuel gauge level bob and get rid of the rest for a pump cradle and filter. and a better o'ring seal lip as the standard one is shocking! ( f**king pain in the arse to keep it in place when tightening the lock ring )

ive collected a few pumps now so the workshop is going to stink of diesel and some frankinstein pump will be born lol.

im 98% sure the tdci interals will fit the dci casing. theres not allot different in them apart from piston sizes, cam plates and chambers ( delphi CR pumps ) forget the EPIC and elctro controlled mechanical pump

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Managed to try anything mate? I cleaned my egr valva and manifold yesterday.

omg what a mess! Also tried consumption runs on the exact same road with same condition but couldn't notice any difference with egr unplugged and plugged. So for motorway economy egr does nothing at all, if it still works???

you where right though, no fault lights after unplugging it!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
not got allot done today,to much work for playing with the dci :(

it helps with boost. specially with a decat. lag time on launch ( pull off ) doesnt lag, it just spools and go's as the egr cant activate (Sp )
not got allot done today, managed to send the injectors off. should hear something by next tuesday. and a price to do them. he's also adviced me if he can find a better nozzle then he'll give me the options.

egr only works on low revs. WOT it closes off completely.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Have been googling alot and as found out before 1.6 hdi nozzles should fit too and be good for 170bhp. Which can be had a lot cheaper because these injectors aren't so prone to failures.

however i have found tdci bins so would probably make mapping more easy although hdi bins should be easy to find too.

lots to think about, all comes done to bob though!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Still working on the pumps. He's got them both and messing with them ( in his own time to keep costs down ) so basically evenings he's doing them.

What ever injectors we look at, in still worried on the injector plug location. Don't fancy cutting wires to the plugs lol