ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dci tuning thread

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Going to look at a few cars this week so the test subject can be started with all this trial and erro.
Also had a new diagnostics and ecu re-write software kit come with it, so I can adjust the fueling and boost enough to get it over to a proper dyno for mapping

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
What kit have you ordered mate?

i'm thinking of buying a canclip for programming and diagnostics and a mpps is on it's way for reading/writing

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
delphi diagnostic tool. can do pritty much everything, has TICTIC( test of all systems and actuators, pumps ect )

has a mapping reading/writing tool with it too, not cheap but its easy to use. seen it on a few pug HDI's fueling and boost adjustment is farely fool proof.

have used the cloned version aswell, not much difference. apart from one has flightrecorder and bluetooth. the other doesnt.

i would have a CancLip but they're hefty for the proper one.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Just had a look on ebay and i guess you're talking bout a ds150?
knock-offs are only £150 so not too bad.

i wonder what the capabilities off the canclip are though. Those are £108

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Wouldn't know exactly which one is better.
My mate has the cloned Delphi one at his garage with flight recorder and Bluetooth.

Can an pritty much go through all the cars systems and test them. Shows allot of info aswell like rail pressure on crank, and running. Boost pressure ect. Can code injectors. Also found out my engine bay fan actually works using the special testing software it has with it.

I know the canclip will do allot more but the Delphi clones ( two versions , one is proper s**te, ) are good for what I Need in regards to monitoring and coding. Maps can be uploaded via the Delphi aswell, just needs mapping software to creat the map.

Think my mate paid £120 for the non blue tooth version. The one I ordered is the flight recorder version. Can't wait for it to turn up. Needs XP to run properly tho. And they are a bit of a faf to set up on the pc

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
But i wonder how much the canclip can do more. Since there only a £40 price difference.

i'm leaning towards the delphi though cause it can read/test al kind of brands instead of just renault...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
probably silly little things that the clip can do like coding UCH's. were as i dont think the delphi can code uch's. havent tried and i dont want to wreck mine as it works lol

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
only thing i can think of atm is i'm soon fitting cruise control to my dci and have to set it up in the uch although i have a friend with a renault garage so he'd probably be able to set it up for me.

guess i'll be buying myself a knock-off delphi item.

only thing i can think of atm is i'm soon fitting cruise control to my dci and have to set it up in the uch although i have a friend with a renault garage so he'd probably be able to set it up for me.

guess i'll be buying myself a knock-off delphi item.

Its piss easy. Diesel injection > command mode > specific command > cruise control > validate.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I meant he has a clip so i could use it for that particular function but thanks for the explanation Dan!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i'll see if i can access the ' other ' commands in the delphi unit, will be good to know when i eventually retro fitt it.

bit of news, bob has found a suiteable nozzle, altho its only 6 point, it works BUT pre injection ( to make the engine quiet so it doesnt sound like an old DTurbo )
is abit ' off '. he's tried the later 2.0 tdci nozzles(mondeo mk3 platform) and the fuel thing inside with three pins doesnt fit the clio dci injector body.

we also have three more injectors we could use, 1.6hdi delphi injectors ( early ones as the later are bosch ) 2.0 pug hdi ( varies on HP variants )
early X-type and early mondeo. im sure the early xtype/ mondeo 2.0's will fit , just the have a threaded body for securing and we have clamps

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Side topic ahoy...

Will sending a pipe into the cold air feed from one of the foglight holes make any difference to a non turbo? Even if it's just a minor improvement to throttle response and sound.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Didn't think water would be an issue, granted I would've considered mesh to minimise on grit and debris getting in, but if water is a problem I'll steer clear. Worth opening up the standard inlet? Ie by removing the trumpet? By all means tell me explicitly if there will be no point and no change in an already minor intake for precious little end result.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
What car is this ' non turbo ' if it's your 65, they do have a turbo lol

it'll make a difference with a better airfeed, somewhere to behind the headlight will be more than enough

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
No effin way, I thought they were naturally asthmatic lol. So is this now a case of whether or not I'll also be able to whack on an 80 intercooler? Now I'm wanting a dump valve and boost gauge haha.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i'll see if i can access the ' other ' commands in the delphi unit, will be good to know when i eventually retro fitt it.

bit of news, bob has found a suiteable nozzle, altho its only 6 point, it works BUT pre injection ( to make the engine quiet so it doesnt sound like an old DTurbo )
is abit ' off '. he's tried the later 2.0 tdci nozzles(mondeo mk3 platform) and the fuel thing inside with three pins doesnt fit the clio dci injector body.

we also have three more injectors we could use, 1.6hdi delphi injectors ( early ones as the later are bosch ) 2.0 pug hdi ( varies on HP variants )
early X-type and early mondeo. im sure the early xtype/ mondeo 2.0's will fit , just the have a threaded body for securing and we have clamps

As you've used the crdi injectors i'm lead to beleive those nozzles will fit aswell. Which can be had on ebay for £80.
although i very much doubt the build wuality of them...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
No effin way, I thought they were naturally asthmatic lol. So is this now a case of whether or not I'll also be able to whack on an 80 intercooler? Now I'm wanting a dump valve and boost gauge haha.

look down the bck of the engine, you will see a small but good turbo which isnt even streching its legs lol.

whack a dci 80/100 cooler on. or aftermarket kit. map and you'll know the boost is there im sure!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
As you've used the crdi injectors i'm lead to beleive those nozzles will fit aswell. Which can be had on ebay for £80.
although i very much doubt the build wuality of them...

thats the only thing putting me off , quality.
i would put the crdi's back in as stated before but i dont want a very hard injection set up , which inturn can caulse issues when mapped and worst case kill the engine.

theres so many bits you have to change when changin nozzles. shim washers are the biggest pain as they have to be with in thou sizes to be even remotely calibrated

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Don't think there are shims in the dci injectors. Shims are for pd type injectors which open on a crack pressure. Calibrating the shims makes for an even crack pressure.

afaik that's the electronic calibrating with our injectors done by the code. That accounts for the difference in response time so the ecu knows when to open the injectors.

there are also geniune delphi nozzles for the 2.0 and 2.2 tdci on ebay for £50 each.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
look down the bck of the engine, you will see a small but good turbo which isnt even streching its legs lol.

whack a dci 80/100 cooler on. or aftermarket kit. map and you'll know the boost is there im sure!

I need to check in daylight, I only proved it to myself by downloading a K9K engine manual PDF from Renault and seeing it on a diagram. How much would I need to put aside for a map, and uprated IC? Sounds expensive, plus I wouldn't be completely happy unless it dumps like a snake or a pigeon lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
You need a dump valve to do that lol. That standard dci 65/80 turbo doesn't have VNT :(

i would say, 250-300 for a proper map , say at rstuning
ic kit going Renault secondhand would be 100-150
complete custom - ebay kits made to fit 100-upwards
dump diverter ( not really good on a diesel ) 100 odd for a proper one

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Don't think there are shims in the dci injectors. Shims are for pd type injectors which open on a crack pressure. Calibrating the shims makes for an even crack pressure.

afaik that's the electronic calibrating with our injectors done by the code. That accounts for the difference in response time so the ecu knows when to open the injectors.

there are also geniune delphi nozzles for the 2.0 and 2.2 tdci on ebay for £50 each.

bob had to put washer/shims in the injectors. Unless he was doing someone else's injectors by accident lol.

yeah Im looking at the nozzles but we the electrode thing with the correct pin pattern for the nozzles

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Erm yeah, mk2 120ps Mondeo injectors are massive in length not width.

gamyvu7a.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Hhhmmm, if i see it correct the nozzle is longer! What code off injector do you have as there's supposed to be 2 different nozzle lengths.
wonder if it fits fysically and icw the valve though!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
looks like you have one of the 3xxz series and not 5xxz, by comparing on ebay it looks like the 3's have the long nozzle....

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
going over to Coventry tomorrow to visit a engineering company , that makes custom forged rods and pistons.
for safety's sakes im hopefully getting a set of rods made up and possibly pistons depending on if ceramic coating them will help the standard 100's.

in turn im going all out to 200hp. which means i'll need to be pushing nearly 30psi boost into the lump.
which then means I need some f4r arp head studs ( if they fit ) to hold the head down.

this is whilst bob is still pulling his hair out with our pump problems lol

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol, sounds like a plan!

i've been to a tuner near me yesterday and had a good conversation regarding the stuff we want.
he said it's possible and would be able to help me out on the mapping side of things for a reasonable/buddy's price.

he also made a fast map for fun and wow, does it change the clio! Already slipping the clutch now though :p

For 30psi you'll be needing a different map sensor too as it only reads to 250kpa

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
flol dont f**k about do you ! what your pump with the fun map tho, if its bringing up fault lights for low fuel, dont ring its neck haha.

yeah already been in contact with darkside developments and they said they can get map sensors from 1bar to 5bar

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Probably best to use a map sensor the vag boys use too.
Fault light is coming up in 5th when flat out.

one thing i do wonder though, the guy told me injector duration wasn't that bad so probably with a higher flowing pump we could achieve more even with standard injectors...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
havent thought of that, BUT saying that, if your upping the pressure to the injectors, the nozzles can only deliver so much no matter the power behind them.

had a guy reply to my thread on TDOUK

'' I only know of one modded K9k, which is running a mondeo 2.0 130 pump, 2000bar rail sensor and dci106 injectors. It needed completely mapping from scratch on the dyno. They never got the smooth running corrections to work so it sounded a crock of **** off load, but went well! Think he was using the turbo from a VW 2.0tdi. ''

so its possible for a mondeo pump to fit :D no f**king about after all. the pump i sent bob was the newer pumps from 2008 onwards.

i cant see how 106 injectors can work tho as 106 dci k9k injectors are bosch :S

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i'm getting more and more clued up on the mapping side of things so maybe i'll be able to do that myself.
maybe the lad has fitted the 106 nozzles? although i still hope the tdci nozzles will fit as i already have a calibration map for them....

are you bidding on 501z injectors? as it wouldn't be handy for us to bid against eachother :p

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
ive PM'd the guy to see what his mate had on it.

no unforunatly :p
i was looking at the 1.6hdi nozzles on ebay.

btw, got a price for forged rods, he can do them for around 600 for all four BUT i'd have to sorce better bolts for them, as he recon's the standard ones wont handle the abuse connected to forged rods. as for ceramic coated pistons, i can get them done , but he advised against , due to the high pressure injection , it could take the coating off so to speak

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
you're crazy mate! no chance i'll be spending that amount of money on the little dci!

i think i'll try to see what i'm able to get out of it with stock hardware first and if the nozzles are the problem then upgrade them taking it step by step.
will that work then probably a bigger turbocharger is on the list!

we'll probably be limited by ve anyway...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
it's going to end up as a second car for me soon, so might aswell go the whole shabang and make a monster 1.5. fun whilst destroying and rebuilding an all that lol

had a PM back, that quote i said earlier, his engine had standard 100 internals , running 176hp and pushing 400nm, but his box gave up after 4k of abuse.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
would be interested in more details! sure he should have had a project thread or the likes?
keeping torque lowish would be the best approach to save the box!