ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead Battery?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Went to the car for the first time since Sunday this afternoon and it wouldn't even unlock, never mind turn the ignition on or start. Managed to jump start it off the van but even then it took 15 minutes of charging off the van to start.

Has the battery gone?

Car has done 87K, just gone 5 years old and still on its original battery.

Next question, any particular make of battery I should go for? Seen some german made one's with 4 year guarantee for about £50.

Yes sounds like the battery. Has your trip computer and clock been resetting itself lately? Sign that the battery is on the way out.

Someone will be able to reccomend a battery probably.

Ones from halfrauds are about £70 i think, You might as well fit it yourself otherwise they will charge you about a tenner for the pleasure of fitting.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This is the first battery related problem ive ever had, but yes the clock and everything had reset today. So the battery really was gone if it couldn't even hold the time.

If it doesn't start tomorrow i'll get a new one.

Fit them for relatives before, piece of piss tbh

AGH the sl*g
The battery will of slowly been going but the cold weather is renowned for killing battery's off, if you know any one with a halfords trade card then you can get a good discount.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
^^

Dont really want a halfords own one tbh, will probably pick one up at the motor factors on Saturday, cheaper too!

RS Clio 172 mk2
i have this exact same problem today also. thing is i've driven my car a few times today but now it bearly opens the central locking. thing is rstuner says i have 13v coming from my batt but nothing when i turn the key?!?! :S

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You need to test it under load though, get a volt meter on it and try and start it and voltage will probably drop considerably. Unfortunately I am too lazy to do this :rasp:

RS Clio 172 mk2
thats just it i can't even start it. the xenons wont turn on neither, just flicker then go off. gonna try voltmeter tomorrow but had a new battery a couple of years back

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You could try charging it, I was going to do this but then I can't lock the car overnight since I'd have to remove the battery.

RS Clio 172 mk2
tried that, been charging more or less all night but still nothing, can't even lock the car without the charger on :(

DCi 100
Went I first got my car I had alittle problem with the battery :eek:

If you can turn the lights on, turn the ignition and the lights dim and it won't start, will be dead battery.

Surely you can lock the car using the key except the boot? Handbrake off and park as close to a wall as possible?

I never, ever, ever, have anything electrical on without the engine running now, except the interior light when enter/exiting. No way do I want to do what I did at 4am again.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
all done, new battery today and car feels better than ever. thanks guys :)
Same but it was hard work.

They gave me the wrong battery first, then I said it was an 063 after looking at my battery. They insisted it wouldn't be big enough until one of the old chaps who works there got out a more powerful 063, he said it was slightly more Ah than I needed but a regular 063 was down on power for what I required. Confused but happy!

Was £40 with 2 year guarantee or £59 with 4 so went with 4 for the sake of £20.

RS Clio 172 mk2
yeh mine was the same, £42 with 3 year warranty. amazing how different the car feels with a new battery. Any ideas on what your CCA's are on the batt jenic?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure tbh, it started fine last night and this morning so I'm happy.

I would go and check but its too cold to be messing about

My battery has gone and im struggling to work out how to remove it,i cant seem to see whats holding it in place(doesnt help that i have snow on my glasses lol).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Down the right hand side, looking at it front of the car onwards there is a bolt holding a bracket down securing the battery :)

Edit: Actually, thats useless, i'm guessing you have an mg/mini

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
down to the right hand side of the battery were the fusebox is, if you look down theres a bolt 10mm iirc, undo that, and lift the right hand side up first then the left, and battery will come out